New Orleans review

AprilJ

We just cruised out of New Orleans had a great 2 days prior to embark in the city.

We stayed at the Hilton Riverside. Great hotel, perfect location. No issues, loved it. Booked for just under $100 per night on Hotwire. We arrived about 2pm, husband stayed with car while I checked us in. Requested room with view of the cruise ship and was granted a 17th floor river view room. It is a huge hotel. Did not use any of thier services except the bar. Once I got our room keys, I went back to the car and got our bags. A nice gentleman helped me get them up too the room again while husband stayed with car. I came back down and we drove down to Fultons Garage.

Had no problem finding a spot, they gave us instructions on what to do when we returned and we were out of thier in 10 mins. Very nice staff.

Walked across the street and entered the Riverwalk mall. Grabbed lunch at the food court and watched all the activity on the river and then headed back to room. Mall is connected to hotel, so we didn't have to go back outside, which was great because it had started raining.

Unpacked and nap....then off to Bourbon. Wandered all over, drinks here and there, then to dinner at Cafe Masperos which was delicious. A storm came and we got soaked walking back to hotel, but it was fun and we just made the best of it.

Sunday we had breakfast at Mothers, was just ok. Went to the WWII muesum which was fantastic. Had lunch at Mulates, another great Cajun meal. Back to room for rest and showers. When we went back out we headed left down the boardwalk, ran into the Oyster festival. Ended up on Decatur. Shopped around and had dinner at Star steak & lobster. Very good!

Went to hear a bit of jazz before hitting Harrahs for just a few minutes then back to room.

Woke up just in time too see the Triumph sail past the hotel and into port. Went to Harrahs for the breakfast buffet, it was very good but expensive for breakfast.

Checked out of hotel at 9:30am, walked thru the mall to the port. Nice casual stroll, just one set of stairs once you get right outside the port. Left luggage with porter. We had FTTF, we were checked in at 10:20. We board at 11:30am.

We were off the ship at 7:25, hopped into Fultons shuttle and we were in our car driving away at 7:48am.

No complaints. Loved the experience.

Edited by AprilJ

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review. I have a question about Fulton's. It looks to me like parking during a cruise is $12.50. Any other time it's $20.00. Did you book two separate reservations or did you just book the whole thing as if the cruise included the first two days? Thanks. ~ Linda ~

Edited by okeytaco

Nice review. I have a question about Fulton's. It looks to me like parking during a cruise is $12.50. Any other time it's $20.00. Did you book two separate reservations or did you just book the whole thing as if the cruise included the first two days? Thanks. ~ Linda ~

Booked 7 nights under the cruise rate.

Nice that even though you had a Hotwire rate, they gave you a river view room!! That's just great!!

Thanks for writing!

I requested it at check in. I was super nice to the desk clerk and let him know it was our 25th anniversary.

Where did you go to listen to jazz? DH & I are staying at there in December and that is something we would like to do.

I do not remember the name, it was a tiny bar on Bourbon.

1468183750141.jpg.eae9dc262dad2aa65652789ff01d1f26.jpg

Having never been to New Orleans, was the French Quarter in walking distance?

We will be going next year for my 50th Birthday & 15th anniversary and was wondering whether to find something in the French Quarter or something that within walking distance to the French Quarter and the port if it even possible.

Having never been to New Orleans, was the French Quarter in walking distance?

We will be going next year for my 50th Birthday & 15th anniversary and was wondering whether to find something in the French Quarter or something that within walking distance to the French Quarter and the port if it even possible.

Yes, the Hilton Riverside is a great location because it is within walking distance of the Quarter and the cruise terminal. There is a street car stop right out front and plenty of taxis as well should you not want to walk.

• 1 month later...
Nice that even though you had a Hotwire rate, they gave you a river view room!! That's just great!!

Thanks for writing!

I've always gotten good rooms by being pleasant to the person checking me in. I use Priceline name your own price frequently, and the front desk staff doesn't care how much you paid for your room, they want to be treated pleasantly, without an entitled attitude. (I also tell my young daughter to smile a lot when we check in. ;))