Universal Visit and then cruise - do able? Logistics?

xcell

Ok I think I finally made the plan (in my head) but just wanted another set (or many sets) of eyes to see if I am missing anything.

Planning to visit Universal for the kids before my cruise on the Oasis late August.

Arriving Tuesday night 11:30pm in Orlando and going to onsite Universal Hotel Portofino (for the express passes).

I plan to do three days at universal (Wed, Thurs and Friday) and in fear of missing the ship, plan to leave Friday late afternoon to get to FLL to make the ship the next day (adding an extra day to Universal only cost $40 total for 4 people so that's a no brainer).

I wish the hotel could do a late check out but they check out at 11am, so option are to check out before I leave the hotel for Universal and store my luggage at the hotel (hate the thought of it just sitting there for anyone to do things with) or leave the kids and DW at universal so that I can get the rental and have them meet me around noon so we can start heading towards FLL.

What are your thoughts???

Ok I think I finally made the plan (in my head) but just wanted another set (or many sets) of eyes to see if I am missing anything.

Planning to visit Universal for the kids before my cruise on the Oasis late August.

Arriving Tuesday night 11:30pm in Orlando and going to onsite Universal Hotel Portofino (for the express passes).

I plan to do three days at universal (Wed, Thurs and Friday) and in fear of missing the ship, plan to leave Friday late afternoon to get to FLL to make the ship the next day (adding an extra day to Universal only cost $40 total for 4 people so that's a no brainer).

I wish the hotel could do a late check out but they check out at 11am, so option are to check out before I leave the hotel for Universal and store my luggage at the hotel (hate the thought of it just sitting there for anyone to do things with) or leave the kids and DW at universal so that I can get the rental and have them meet me around noon so we can start heading towards FLL.

What are you doing Tuesday night when you come in? I wouldn't stay at the Portifino coming in after midnight. That's a pricey hotel and you could stay at an airport hotel for much less and just make the trip in the morning.

Did you decide to rent a car or take a cab from the airport (or airport hotel if you decide to stay at a airport hotel Tuesday night)? I previously recommended a cab, but you know what, if you rent a car from the airport, it will allow you to swing by a Super Wal-Mart and pickup a few things before checking in so the family can have snacks/food/drinks while staying at the Portifino. Obviously factor in cab prices (under $50) vs. one way car rental from airport to Portifino but you definitely want to stop by a local store to save on some money during your stay.

I like your plan, 3 days is perfect and Universal is running a special where they are throwing in the 3rd day for free. Go with the Single park admission. They cost $40 less. It allows you to choose a park for the day instead of having access to both parks on a daily basis. So you could do IOA (Harry Potter) twice and Universal once. $135.99 for adults and $125.99 for kids. Don't know when they are going to pull that special so you may want to act fast.

Wed - Islands of Adventure

Thurs - Universal Studios

Fri - Islands of Adventure (take advantage of early access to parks and do Harry Potter for the final times before leaving)

That Friday just get the rental at 11 a.m. when checking out and store your luggage in the car.

To save more money, I wouldn't necessarily stay in Fort Lauderdale the night before. Consider staying within an hour of the port (Boca Raton has some great deals on solid hotels . . . Embassy Suites).

Saturday morning you may want to consider going to the port first, dropping the wife and kids off, and the luggage, at the port, and then drop the rental off and taking the shuttle back to the port. You want to call Hertz to make sure you have the right drop location and confirm the shuttle.

But you have it figured out. Most important detail was the flight coming in, now that you have it set, everything else will be fun to plan. Good Luck and feel free to ask anymore questions or concerns.

Edited by kdawg954

Greetings

Why the fear of getting from Orlando to Port Everglades on Saturday? It's an easy drive straight down the turnpike to I-595 then directly to the port. It's just over 200 miles, about 3 hours or so. If you wish to stay a night in south Florida then ok, but don't leave on Friday because you think you might miss your sailing.

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

Why the fear of getting from Orlando to Port Everglades on Saturday? It's an easy drive straight down the turnpike to I-595 then directly to the port. It's just over 200 miles, about 3 hours or so. If you wish to stay a night in south Florida then ok, but don't leave on Friday because you think you might miss your sailing.

Good Sailing

Tom

I agree with this, although, in general, I find it less stressful to already be within an hour of the area, rather than that 3 hour trip the morning of the cruise.

Trust me, I left my house once the morning of the cruise to leave out of Port Canaveral (I live in Fort Lauderdale). Did it in about 2.5 hours . . . but I didn't really like. In hindsight, I wish I would of just gotten closer the night before to make the drive less of a hassle. It was like, I had plenty of time, but I felt rushed a bit, specifically pre-drive.

But to the OP, I agree, if the only thing stopping you from enjoying Orlando another night is the fear of missing the ship, I wouldn't put that worry in your mind. It truly is the easiest drive you will make and you never have to touch a street. It's highway (Turnpike) to highway (I-595) . . . . 75 mph the entire way.

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Need a park to park pass as that's the only way you can ride the new hogworth ' s express train the diagon alley.

Concern about leaving Saturday is what happens if when I go pick up the car there is a delay or something and it prolongs the car ride? Flat traffic accident or anything ...

If I pick up the car I guess I can store luggage in the trunk and then pay for parking or maybe I can get free parking at universal since I'm still a guest at the hotel??? (ie not at the hotel as it'd $18 a day but even that is fine).

I know staying at portofino a night especially arriving at midnight is costly but then the next morning we are ready to start our vacation. But I might reconsider and just do early entrance another day. Drop the car off and have hotel store luggage...I hate that idea. .meaning leaving our bags in an unlocked room...

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Need a park to park pass as that's the only way you can ride the new hogworth ' s express train the diagon alley.

Concern about leaving Saturday is what happens if when I go pick up the car there is a delay or something and it prolongs the car ride? Flat traffic accident or anything ...

If I pick up the car I guess I can store luggage in the trunk and then pay for parking or maybe I can get free parking at universal since I'm still a guest at the hotel??? (ie not at the hotel as it'd $18 a day but even that is fine).

I know staying at portofino a night especially arriving at midnight is costly but then the next morning we are ready to start our vacation. But I might reconsider and just do early entrance another day. Drop the car off and have hotel store luggage...I hate that idea. .meaning leaving our bags in an unlocked room...

Ugh, good point about the Hogwart's Express, completely forget you needed Park to Park to enjoy that . . . that sucks, but well worth it for the full Harry Potter experience which is the main reason you are going so it's a must. At least they are doing the 3rd day free, so that's something.

The whole idea of the hotel offsite Tuesday night only revolves around saving a few bucks. If you don't mind spending the extra $100+ and driving after midnight . . . I say go for it. It will definitely be more convenient to be there to start your day on Wednesday. Definitely find some time (if you can) before turning in the rental to grab a few snacks/drinks/food . . . it will save you some headache and convenience by not having to always buy food at the hotel/City Walk and already have stuff in the room.

I will say one thing, the Luggage Storage at these hotels are top notch. These are 5 star hotels and they get millions of visitors, many of which are in similar situations as you and your family. They are top notch in this department and are very serious, professional and do a fantastic job.

Again, I'd also leave on Friday, just for a peace of mind, I just wouldn't stay near the port because I probably can find more for less under 1 hour away.

Edited by kdawg954

the 2 days at the park and 3rd is free only is to May 2014 but when I priced out the tickets, the difference between 2 days and 3 days is really $40 (total), so no brainer in adding one more day for the kids to do half a day.

so I guess I could

- arrive at midnight Tuesday, get the car rental (has to be from hertz)

- drive to local airport hotel and crash

- Wed: next morning check out and drive to local pharmacy to get some provisions

- get to Portofino around 9-10 and drop bags off, and get passes for UO and wander around

- back to the hotel for 4pm to check in and then dinner at city walk - check out night time at UO or just relax

- Thursday: up early for HP and whatever

- Friday: up early, back to the park for one last view; pickup car and off the FLL?

the 2 days at the park and 3rd is free only is to May 2014 but when I priced out the tickets, the difference between 2 days and 3 days is really $40 (total), so no brainer in adding one more day for the kids to do half a day.

so I guess I could

- Wed: next morning check out and drive to local pharmacy to get some provisions

- get to Portofino around 9-10 and drop bags off, and get passes for UO and wander around

- back to the hotel for 4pm to check in and then dinner at city walk - check out night time at UO or just relax

- Friday: up early, back to the park for one last view; pickup car and off the FLL?

Here's my 2 cents worth:

I'd just follow your original plan, but leave the locked luggage with the conciere (sp?) on Friday, and enjoy yourself at the parks for a while.

2 years ago we flew in and out of Orlando, but took a cruise leaving out of FLL. Everyone is right about the drive. It was easy/peasy.

Universal Orlando is terrific! We went there before and after our cruise. There's so much to see and do. And it's easier to get on the best rides either early in the day or later in the day. In the middle of the day it's a mad house!

We're going there again before a cruise in November!

Have fun!!

so I guess I could

Have you checked car rental rates from Hertz leaving from MCO and arriving at the Portifino Bay hotel? They seem pretty high ($150). A cab will only run you about $50 w/ tip. Maybe it's worth it to book the room at the Portifino Bay Tuesday night and take a cab to the hotel. You would already have your room, wouldn't have to worry about renting a car and even though it still will be more costly (cab/Portifino vs. rental car/offsite hotel Tuesday night) the convenience would be great. There is a Walgreens pharmacy within walking distance from the Portifino Bay and you could easily grab a few items on Wednesday.

The rental rates from Portifino Bay to the Port Everglades location are much more reasonable. Remember to choose the "Port Everglades - Crown Plaza" location and not the FLL location (you probably already know this, but just making sure).

Also I would advise that you ask for a complimentary late check out for Friday morning, on Thursday afternoon. Usually the hotel will give you an extra hour or 2, unless they are extremely busy. That would be pretty great and if accepted you could easily move the car rental reservation to 12 or 1, if they grant the late check out request.

Everything else looks good

I would try to plan around maximizing time in the parks - especially taking advantage of mornings when they are much less crowded. Definitely get the multi-park pass - it's well worth it at Universal since the parks are right next to each other.

I wouldn't mess around with another hotel for the night you get there. Get checked-in at Portofino and get all you express pass stuff sorted out etc. so you can hit the parks first thing on Wed. morning. If you mess around with changing hotels you won't get to the park until later on Wed. and miss out on the least crowded part of the day.

Look into getting the rental car for the length of your stay. It's often not much more expensive especially if you are using any sort of discount codes. If not then consider getting the rental car late on Thursday so you already have it for Friday morning.

I would check-out first thing on Friday and store luggage in the rental car. You should be able to leave it parked at the hotel ($20ish) for the day and then take the boat over to the parks. This way you don't have to mess around with coming back to the hotel to check-out at 11:00. You can spend the whole day Friday in the parks and leave either late Friday or early Saturday morning.

I've done it both ways (driving the night before or the morning of). I would probably drive Friday night and stay near Port Everglades. That way you could return your rental car the night before and not have to deal with it in the morning. Drop the family off at the hotel to check in and then return the rental and call for the hotel shuttle to come pick you up. Then in the morning just grab a cab from the hotel to the port.

If you decide to drive down Saturday morning I would make sure to return the car to an offsite location. FLL is a zoo on Weekend morning particularly and getting a shuttle / cab back to the port can be a lengthy process.

staying onsite will cost an additional $190 + taxi fare to the hotel.

staying offsite, will cost - let's say - $100 + $80 for car rental so looks like really the cost of a taxi and lack of getting supplies before I hit the hotel

renting a car for the 19th to the 23 is around $300 (no discount) plus parking of $20 a day

cost for one way rental for a day from hotel to FLL is around $80

booked the flight so now gotta figure out the hotels/car stuff...

side note- called to book the hotel - decided on just booking the 19th - any ways, I called the hotel directly was able to get a CAA rate $30 cheaper than the posted internet rate - even the CSR was surprised (she thought the rate would be the same as the special that was offered - stay more pay less...)

the crappy thing is for us Canadians, if I have to cancel and get a refund then my credit card company still charges a 1.25% service charge fee for the currency conversion on the charge but not necessarily the refund

Edited by xcell

Good choice, it's well worth the extra cost to stay at Portofino the night you arrive so you have a full day in the parks that first day.

Yeah, that's a bit pricey to just have the car sit around for 4 days. Probably better to take a cab from MCO to Portofino and then rent the car onsite for your drive to FLL. You could probably get the car late Thursday evening and still be within the 24 hour 1 day rental period of returning it in Ft. Lauderdale. That way you would't have to mess around with getting the car Friday morning and you could go straight to the parks. Or, have the hotel check your bags on Friday and then get the car when you are done at the parks. Would save you the parking fee for the day I guess.

Actually I never thought of that...getting car before it closes and get to fll before the 24 hr. That way if I don't get a late check out I can just leave the luggage in the car and enjoy the morning at the park.

I would do whatever you can to maximize your three mornings in the parks. You can often get more done in the first 2-3 hours than the rest of the day combined. Being onsite you can always take the boat or walk back to the hotel in the afternoons when it gets extra crowded and take care of rental cars or whatever else you need to do.

The onsite Hertz at the Portifino closes at 5 p.m. so you would have to be at the FLL drop location at that time on Friday (to avoid extra day/hour charges) and would probably be relegated to staying in the more expensive Port Everglades area rather than having the luxury to stay 30 minutes away and finding a hotel with more amenities at a lower price . . . plus you'd lose out on the car rental place just shuttling you to the port in the morning.

Also, you'll be putting in 2 full days into these 2 parks, midweek, with school in locally, and have Express passes and Early admission. You will more than have a chance to ride literally everything in 2 days . . . several times . . . in both parks. There is a chance come Friday you will not have the urge to even do them anymore. They are nice parks, but don't have nearly the content of a Magic Kingdom or Epcot. A quick Harry Potter ride, be back at the hotel at 10 a.m. and check out at 11 a.m. Seriously, the kids may rather do the pool area on Friday morning . . . the pool at the Portifino is pretty awesome and you'd have access to the Hard Rock pool and the Royal Pacific one as well.

Your going to Universal during the Summer season, it is going to be busy even midweek, even near the end of summer. Diagon Alley is going to be a game changer (just like the original WWoHP) and the crowds for it will be crazy for probably a year or two after it opens. Express pass will do you no good for Diagon Alley or Forbidden Journey. Your definitely going to want to use your early admission for WWoHP. Your going to want to be there at least 30 minutes prior to the early opening time. I haven't seen if Diagon Alley will be open for early admission, but I would assume so.

USF/IOA used to be a 2 day park before the Harry Potter stuff, not anymore. There's plenty to fill a couple days at each of these parks (especially for older kids).

If you want to do the pools then go back to the hotel in the afternoons when the parks are more crowded and you are hot and tired. Then you can cool off and head back to the parks again in the evenings.

I still say if you are going to drive down the night before then just stay near the port. Why drive part way and then have to drive another 30+ minutes in the morning. If you are going to do that I would just stay in Orlando another night and do the whole drive on Saturday morning.

Unlike the Orlando parks, Aug. is basically off season for cruising from Ft. Lauderdale. Far less ships and people leaving from the port in the summer. Should be able to find some reasonably priced (under $150) hotel options in the port area for the night you would be there.