San Diego Hilton Hotel

kandj05

How much time will you have in San Diego?

I would opt for the Hilton Gaslamp or Hilton Bayside. Both are right in or next to the Gaslamp Quarter which is full of clubs and restaurants, and you can also take the San Diego Trolley (light rail) from either one to Little Italy or Old Town. You can even take the Trolley to the ship if you don't mind hauling your luggage 3 blocks from the Amtrak station Trolley stop.

The one on Harbor Island is a nice enough hotel, but there are really no good places to eat within walking distance, and nothing else to do on the Island except to look at the view. You can get up early and watch your ship come into port from there though. You would need to cab from there to the pier though...I don't think they offer a shuttle to the pier (although they might to the airport).

The Hilton Bayfront(not Bayside) is the nicest(IMO)

The Hilton gaslamp, nearby is usually less expensive and fewer points. The Embassy Suites is also nearby. These 3 are all in our small bayfront downtown with easy walking to tons of restaurants/bars, some shopping etc.

The Hilton Harbor Island is on the bay but closer to the airport with a free airport shuttle. The others don't have that. During the summer there is a free shuttle from the Harbor Island area to downtown. At other times of the year you'd have to take a taxi or take the shuttle back to the airport and take a city bus.

There are a couple of restaurants on Harbor Island but not many. One great one is C Level/Island Prime!!

IF you are a large family you may prefer the Homewood Suites/Liberty Station by Hilton as well.

IF you are here for only 1 night then it doesn't matter!

Edited by riffatsea

Riff, thank you for the insight. It is just my hubby and I. We like to come in town a few days early to explore. Hilton Baytown did look a little nicer; but I'm sure both would be just fine! Is the Embassy Suites near the train?

Downtown is small.

"Near" means different things to different folks.

Here is a map showing the Embassy Suites and the train station. They are about 1/2 mile apart.

You can walk, take a taxi , or take our lightrail electric train that we call the trolley the short distance. With tons of luggage I'd just get a taxi.

http://*******/maps/uVIRF