Hotel Monteleone

jkjmt

The Monteleone is a very nice old style hotel. If you booked a basic room it will be small and will likely only include a single queen bed.

Probably need to make sure you understand the difference between the French Quarter and the French Market. They are both different, but interesting in their own right.

Also, there are no trolleys only street cars.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

LOL. Yup. Street car. And I know the French Market is approximately 5 blocks of shopping and various food vendors. I think I can get the street car on Canal Street and travel toward the river, change street cars and head to the French Market. ????

I have read, and you have confirmed, the rooms are very small. I reserved a traditional king room, which the description says king bed??? It's only for one night, my husband and me, pre-cruise, so the size won't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. Yup. Street car. And I know the French Market is approximately 5 blocks of shopping and various food vendors. I think I can get the street car on Canal Street and travel toward the river, change street cars and head to the French Market. ????

I have read, and you have confirmed, the rooms are very small. I reserved a traditional king room, which the description says king bed??? It's only for one night, my husband and me, pre-cruise, so the size won't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The French Market is great and to me it is really divided into three sections:

The section closest to Esplanade Avenue is a open air flea market and if you are looking for some inexpensive souvenirs for friends and family then this will be the place to find them. You will be able to pay half the price of what you would pay in a French Quarter shop for some items. Many prices are negotiable.

The next section is the open air food market. You can pick up some fresh fruits to take back to your room or for a snack while sitting out by the river.

The next section is the more traditional shops. You will pay more for items here.

• 3 weeks later...
Even if you don't drink, be sure to visit the Carousel Lounge in the Monteleone. Its revolving bar is one of the most famous bars around.

love that bar and had great drinks and food there. looking forward to going back in 2 years.

The Monteleone is an older but still very popular hotel with an incredible location--Royal St. one block from Canal. And as has been noted, the Carousel Bar is extremely popular.

There are literally several hundred dining options within a mile and a half of your hotel--and any number of world-class restaurants as well as very good but reasonably priced restaurants within five blocks of your hotel. But a very good one is Mister B's directly across the street from the Monteleone.

And there's lot to do, but I would be careful about visiting on your own certain cemeteries in the city. You need to check with the people at the hotel before venturing into any cemeteries.

Edited by Reggiefan

I was thinking just riding street car from beginning through cemeteries back to where we got on. Is that safe??? Can we see anything interesting on that route??? Would that be safe??? Should I just abandon that plan.

I was thinking just riding street car from beginning through cemeteries back to where we got on. Is that safe??? Can we see anything interesting on that route??? Would that be safe??? Should I just abandon that plan.

I would get off right at the bend where St. Charles and Carrollton meet. There are a nice cluster of restaurants there.

Camelia Grill is lovely but isn't worth the long wait it now has. There is also Vincent's for Italian, or if you want something more "divey" then check out Cooter Brown's. You can also walk to Oak Street and try Squeal BBQ or Jacques-Imo's.

That is safe but the Canal streetcar route is not nearly as interesting as the St Charles streetcar route.

Since you are staying at the "Mont" it is a real nice easy walk to the French Market. You can stay on Royal and visit the shops and galleries along the way or you can go through Jackson Square on Charters Street then cut over to Decatur Street and make a stop at the original Cafe du Monde for beignets then onto The French Market. If I was guiding a visitor to the City I would tell them to walk out out the main entrance of the hotel (Royal Street) and turn right (going away from Canal). Continue down Royal Street (they close the street off to vehicle traffic later in the morning) until you get to St Ann Street (you will have just passed the oldest Cathedral in North America - St. Louis Cathedral now turn Right and walk one block. You are now on the northeast side of Jackson Square. Enjoy the sites on the Square and then continue walking south 1 more block to Decatur and right in front of you will be Cafe du Monde! You can now relax a bit there but if you want to continue to the French Market simply turn Left on Decatur walk a few blocks more to 1001 Decatur and the start of the French Market. However, make time to make a stop at your hotel's world famous drinking spot The Carousel Bar. It takes about 15 mins for the Carousel to make one complete revolution and is one of our favorite places to go have a drink. Or two. Or three.... The bar opens at 11:00 AM

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited by GulfCoaster
Wasn't finished with post