Labor day weekend

ranchette

We will be in New Orleans over the Labor day weekend and just found out there is an event called Southern Decadence the Gay Mardi Gras. Has anyone ever been there during this event and is it really crazy there with this going on?

If you are easily offended and/or homophobic you may want to plan on staying away from the French Quarter. The streets will be busy and packed but you will still be able to enjoy the city. Make reservations for dinners as the restaurants will likely be very full. I would focus on some of the restaurants in the Garden District/Uptown/Mid-City area rather than trying to focus on the French Quarter if you want to stay away from the congestion.

Just about all of the activities associated with Southern Decadence happen on Bourbon Street.

Stay away from there and you will probably not even notice it.

If you are really open-minded, the parades, fashion sows, etc. are well worth seeing.

If you are easily offended and/or homophobic you may want to plan on staying away from the French Quarter. The streets will be busy and packed but you will still be able to enjoy the city. Make reservations for dinners as the restaurants will likely be very full. I would focus on some of the restaurants in the Garden District/Uptown/Mid-City area rather than trying to focus on the French Quarter if you want to stay away from the congestion.

We are not offended but would like to have the names of some restaurants that we will not have to wait to eat for hours. any suggestions

My son is a waiter at Muriel's on Jackson Square.

He tells me that business is good on Southern Decadence weekend but that it is not difficult to get reservations. Muriel's would be a great choice, by the way.

Most of the Southern Decadence crown are young men. They are more interested in partying than in dining.