Western Med in March

Bethwte

Okay, so I've been to Florence/various parts of Italy for a couple of weeks in May/June and did a Med cruise in August, but I have yet to be across the pond when the temps have been cooler. We got a great deal on a March cruise (early to mid-month) that leaves out of Rome, visits various places in Italy, the south of France and Monaco, Barcelona and Valencia. I'm trying to get my packing list together and would love some input on what I may be missing, what seems out of place, or any helpful advice you may have.

From what I see in preliminary research, it looks like the average temps are going to be low 50s with possible highs in the high 50s or low 60s and lows down in the lower 40s (less worried about the lows as I will be back on the ship then and mostly indoors). So other than the normal essentials (like undergarments, sleepwear, etc) I'm thinking about the following for 11 days (plus an extra day in Rome):

• Tall boots
  • Leather flats
  • Walking shoes
  • Heels
  • Black Rain Jacket
  • Grey Blazer (this is a nice thick ponte knit so can serve as a jacket as well)
  • A couple sweaters (neutrals like white, black and grey - all tops listed will be those colors as well)
  • A couple long sleeve tops
  • Camisoles/Tanks for layering
  • A couple cardigans
  • 3-4 pairs of jeans (I live in jeans and don't particularly want to buy new pants just for travel)
  • Black skirt and formal top should I need to dress up (really would only need to if I go to chef's table since it's NCL)
  • 3/4 sleeve wrap dress
  • A few scarves to accessorize with (though I plan to pick up more during my travels! :))

I am still going back and forth about bringing either my winter coat (its a long wool trench style) or a fleece zip up as well, which would be worn on my traveling days. Is my list weather/season appropriate? Thoughts on additions/subtractions?

The list is appropriate, but a bit too long for me. I would drop the long boots and just wear the walking shoes ashore and the leather flats on the ship. I don't wear skirts nor heels, but I bring one pair of black trousers for 'elegant' occasions and a variety of scarves and yes, I buy additional scarves on almost all trips. :D

I would bring the fleece and eliminate one cardigan and the winter coat. The rain jacket is essential! I have a sleeveless opossum wool vest from New Zealand which has turned out to be one of the best investments as a layering piece on and off the ship on cool weather cruises. It keeps the core warm without adding extra layers to the arms. Maybe you also have a sleeveless vest you like.

Your questions made me think of outfits for my upcoming trip in March and April with similar weather to the Mediterranean.

Thanks so much for the advice. If I was going a carry-on I definitely would have eliminated the boots, but since I'm going to check anyway, the boots will be worn on the plane and no big deal to throw a couple pairs of shoes in the luggage. Vests are hard for me, I find they either don't fit properly or merely emphasize my larger bust/add too much volume unfortunately.

I hope you have a fantastic trip!

Sunny and very windy, cool in the shade on the Andalusian coast, my friend writes. A few years ago, I spent Easter on Ischia near Naples. I remember wearing long sleeved blouses. It was warm and sunny in sheltered spots.

Thanks for the good wishes Bethwte. I hope your cruise is wonderful!

Traveling to the med in 3 weeks. We were on a med cruise in Jan. 2013 and I froze. Temps were in the 50's but I'm not used to the humidity so it was cold (50's in Utah means spring for us).This time I'm planning better (I hope). Gloves, hat, long underwear, a packable down coat and some sweaters. A month later for you should be warmer but I would plan on some layering. It can be chilly walking around all day especially if the wind is blowing.

I'm watching the weather forecast up to the time we sail hoping to get a better idea of what to pack.

Have fun on your trip.

I seem to make a habit of being in the Mediterranean areas in the off season (Nov thru March).

I'd advise packing fewer sweaters, just pick 3 (whether cardigan or pullover) that go with everything. Avoid white, folks will be wearing dark, winter colors in Europe.

For practicality, a fleece jacket that can layer under your rain jacket will provide enough warmth if you layer. No need for the winter coat unless you really want to take it. But if you don't, you'll probably notice all the locals will be wearing theirs. :p

Boots also seem to be a "must" in Europe at the moment, so take them if they don't compromise space needed for other things.

I'd toss in a couple more long-sleeved or 3/4 sleeve t-shirts. You could hit a patch of unexpectedly warm weather. It's happened to me in Turkey and Lisbon, both times forcing me to spend time shopping for some clothing that I wouldn't be boiling in.

And you can never go wrong with at least one pair of silk underwear. I don't find jeans particularly travel friendly -- they are not really that warm when the cold wind is whipping up, but the silk long johns underneath help a lot. (I also find them too hot when it's warm, and very heavy if they get wet in a rain shower....;)).

Edited by cruisemom42

Thank you so much to everyone for your thoughts and help!

Avoid white, folks will be wearing dark, winter colors in Europe.

Boots also seem to be a "must" in Europe at the moment, so take them if they don't compromise space needed for other things.

Especially thanks for both of these. That was my thought on the boots - not only do I like them and find them very comfortable but I had a feeling they would be very "in" in Europe as well. I hadn't thought about the light versus dark colors thing and had planned on a white sweater, cardigan and long sleeve tee (my main palette was going to be black/white/grey) so I may re-think that.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the clothes you've listed will be too warm for you, especially if you are in and out of places and walking a lot. I'd ditch the long winter coat, and maybe the fleece, too.

I'd take the rain jacket and layer under it. I find a good sleeveless knit vest that zips up the front, or a fleece vest, adds great warmth in a pinch. Plus, you can wear it unzipped without the over jacket and have just a skoosh of extra warmth.

I'm going to be in the UK and France for 12 days in May, and I'm prepared for cold / rainy UK, and warm France. What I've described above is what I'm taking, plus two of these (I posted these on another thread; sorry for the repeat):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PYGTRAE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LOVE these jackets!

Keep the white Tshirt - it's a good staple in the wardrobe. It is a classic look, with the jeans and your jacket. It's a neutral background that allows you to play with any scarf you want!

I'm heading over the last week of April - I'll be taking my boots with me! I took them 2 years ago and loved having them. I can wear them with pants or a dress, so they serve multiple purposes.