Coffee

Mattnvick

If I wanted to buy coffee in Puerto Rico could I declare it when getting back on the ship and they would hold it till we disembark in Miami or would they just confiscate it period?

Edited by Mattnvick

You can bring coffee back, it's listed here under condiments.

You Can Bring:

• Alcohol – 5 quarts of your favorite spirit (we suggest opting for the local rum!)
  • Cigars- 50 cigars
  • Cigarettes – 2 cartons
  • Condiments – including vinegars, oils, pickled goods, spices, coffee, tea, and some cheeses and baked goods are permitted
  • Souvenirs – you can bring back any local artwork, but be conscious that items made with turtles or taino artefacts are strictly prohibited (although the likelihood of coming across either of those is pretty non-existent)
  • Fruits and Veggies: Avocado -Papaya -Coconut – Plantain – Cassava – Batata – Yautia

Don't confuse what you can bring back to the States with what the ship will allow you to keep in your stateroom.

coffee is like any other souvenir ...walk on the ship with it ....and include it in the total of stuff you buy....you do not turn in coffee like you do booze...

Alas, maybe there are coffee smugglers these days??? 😁😁

On the custom form before leaving ship you put the coffee in the food section of form. Always better to declare items even if you don't have to than risk not declaring something you should.

I've travelled all over the world, to some countries that have very strict customs officers. I declare everything, including stick of gum in my pocket. I was once standing behind a young woman who was fined $500 for not declaring a box of chocolates. There was nothing wrong in bringing in the chocolates, it was that it wasn't declared on the form, she was crying & begging the officer to not fine her, he wouldn't do it and told her if it was on the prohibited list she would have been fined thousands of $. And that was that.

Even if it is on the prohibited list you will not be fined if you declare it , it will just be confiscated,

Another warning untreated wood items and certain sea shells can not be brought back into the US or Europe, unfortunately I've seen quite a few fellow cruisers caught this way, buy an souvenir from street traders and either have it confiscated at ship entry or in customs in US port.