Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

They sure are, Terry. Thanks for the memories I was confirmed in the Cathedral, and in the old days there was a Woolies (Woolworths) in Eastgate Street, and on the way home from school we used to go in, to the cosmetics counter, and try out the lipsticks! Does anyone remember the cheap one which looked orange, but came out pink on your lips?

Good Moaning Supercoolers,

Today we learn in the UK that avion flu has made it's way to our birdy flocks. This means that a lot of our bird stock, bizarrely probably organic and free range rather than intensive reared flocks - as they will be more exposed than our battery stock which are kept indoors - is likely to be vulnerable to being within exclusion and kill zones. So we wait with baited and feathered breath.

So what does this mean to the man on the street you ask. :confused:

Well, in the next few days we will learn whether many of those that these things matter to will have a Christmas Turkey or not. As it happens, we don't. I'm planning pork belly for wifey and me. With bean sprouts rather than Brussels sprouts. Or something else.

The net effect on British Society is that there will be Turkey Rage in the supermarkets just in those magic seasonal days of Festive Spirit between "going off" point and "final shopping". People will be queuing outside supermarkets on the critical mornings and several people will be grabbing at each ends of a turkey and tugging away and trying to decide who grabbed it first. Pensioners will be fighting on the aisles and on all fronts. They will be fighting on the beaches. No prisoners will be taken. All we need now is Brussels Sprout Plight and our lives will be complete.

Last night ... still obsessed with getting the marinara right she had some more and scoffed it up. Lunch time was organic Avion Flu free chicken and other stuff.

82F7B712-659B-42E8-A8B7-C1DEB590D36C.jpg

8F381732-87F0-456A-9BEB-80C693AC4851.jpg

Great pics again Jeffers.....

Yes, we will now have the pre Christmas panic situation with the 'bird flu'.....so l guess nothing changes!

I have today done my Forman & Field order for delivery along with The Country Victualler and St Micheal.....oh...and Ocado is booked, so l won't be lining up to fight over a sprout! :eek:

Turkey, duck and pork will be served as usual ...I'm too old to be worrying about the scaremongers as I'm looking forward to spending this festive season with my children for the first time in a long time and am going to make sure it's very special.

Sophia :)

Terry, it's about time you had another trip to the UK and took in more of the sites. Lovely photographs.

lincslady: They sure are' date=' Terry. Thanks for the memories I was confirmed in the Cathedral, and in the old days there was a Woolies (Woolworths) in Eastgate Street, and on the way home from school we used to go in, to the cosmetics counter, and try out the lipsticks! Does anyone remember the cheap one which looked orange, but came out pink on your lips? [/quote']

YES, super agree with Jeff on the need for us to get back to England, Wales, Scotland, plus seeing more in Ireland, plus doing Northern Ireland for the first time. We have done 22 different countries in Europe, but the most experience has been with the UK area. This includes first in 1977 for a week doing London, Scotland during the Queen's Silver Jubilee. Then, a brief Cotswolds stop in 1997, four days in 1998, northern Wales/Chester in 2000 tied to our Ireland trip, 2006 for five days in London and Cambridge after our Greece/Turkey first cruising trip, 2008 for the Kent area before a Baltics/Russia cruise and 2010 with fun quick stops at Windsor and London coming and going to Copenhagen/Norway. Lots to love and see in your charming and historic areas, plus always so much to enjoy in London.

Loved the lipstick story and confirmation from lincslady. Your stories and details are fun and so interesting. It's like for me living and being there in England.

We are now at 68 days until our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing on the Silver Cloud.

Things are getting close for fudge till you start your Silver Whisper sailing to the Amazon. Good luck on that "adventure". Look forward to hearing lots of details on your sailing, port highlights, things you loved the most!! Share lots with us!! It helps to build our excitement!!

More pictures to come shortly!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 164,070 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Had great, fun weekend down in Charlottesville, Va. (home area of great American Presidents Jefferson, Madison and Monroe, plus University of Virginia). Most importantly, it's where our son, his wife and our two grandsons are living. Here's one picture below to prove why they are so cute and interesting to visit.

Plus, we came back late yesterday afternoon to be greeted by snow and cold in Columbus. It's 12F right now in Central Ohio. The snow on the trees in our ravine setting look so pretty and magical. Very, very early to be getting both snow and cold weather in mid November.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 86,490 views for this posting.

Here is my wife using the iPad to read to our two grandsons, ages four and two. Such a great ages where they are learning and evolving so much. Wonderful to be playing and enjoying time with them. They love construction equipment, trains, etc.:

Nov2014A3_zps3acc9833.jpg

Winter in mid November in Central Ohio? Yes, here the evidence. First the view from my study patio towards the ravine area with the trees covered in such an interesting, dramatic manner. Second is a female cardinal using one of our bird feeders. Lots of bird action with these cold, winter conditions!!:

Nov2014A2_zpsd0248c91.jpg

Nov2014A1_zps22b6422e.jpg

Hi Terry,

Your photographs are lovely. You have a sensitive eye. :)

I am so envious of that snow from your study. I mean really envious. There is something magical about snow that brings out the "child" in some of us. I'm frantic for some guaranteed snow before our trip to Singapore. For around 30 years or so we've always had our Christmas Market week in Vienna plus a few short trips added to others ie Munich, Prague, Salzburg, Cologne etc. It is a part of my "5 a day" regime. Nüssen und punsch mit schuss for breakfast .... but now ... things and places change and this is our first year without those visits.

I guess you're retired, and perhaps now is the time to think about taking an extended trip to England. Scotland is fine .... Wales too ... and nothing wrong with Ireland. I love them all. But England. Rent yourself a place for three weeks or more pretend to be an Englishman for that time and immerse yourself. What else is there for you to do?

Today's kebabs.

FC9109C0-724A-49F3-9DFC-F6C6E97E063A.jpg

A bit of evening Autumn ("fall") sun over the barn from our garden in Hampshire from my study a few moments ago.

Crisp, and the last remnants of one season as it moves to the next. Leaves I guess will need to be swept. Another day. Perhaps.

Sadly not a proper picture from a proper camera as it was taken on the ipad ...

7DE1771F-BDA1-4DCA-AD18-A06F3EB6A5DA.jpg

Cor Jeff, that bread look good enough to eat! If I hadn't just finished poached salmon with a dish of mash and leeks, covered with cheddar, browned in the oven.

Terry, those grandsons are delicious. What is it about little boys with beautifully shaped heads that grannies adore?

Hi Terry, Your photographs are lovely. You have a sensitive eye. I am so envious of that snow from your study. I mean really envious. There is something magical about snow that brings out the "child" in some of us. I'm frantic for some guaranteed snow before our trip to Singapore. For around 30 years or so we've always had our Christmas Market week in Vienna plus a few short trips added to others ie Munich, Prague, Salzburg, Cologne etc. It is a part of my "5 a day" regime. Nüssen und punsch mit schuss for breakfast .... but now ... things and places change and this is our first year without those visits. I guess you're retired, and perhaps now is the time to think about taking an extended trip to England. Scotland is fine .... Wales too ... and nothing wrong with Ireland. I love them all. But England. Rent yourself a place for three weeks or more pretend to be an Englishman for that time and immerse yourself. What else is there for you to do?

lincslady: Terry' date=' those grandsons are delicious. What is it about little boys with beautifully shaped heads that grannies adore?[/quote']

Appreciate Jeff's kind comments on my photo eye and the fun insights from lincslady about grandsons. Below are some more snow in Central Ohio pictures. More shortly on the added comments from Jeff.

Now only 66 days till our Silver Cloud Amazon-Caribbean adventure starts from Barbados.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 164,225 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

From my study, here are three different views. First, is the wider shot out one of the windows in this area of our home done while sitting in my leather reclining chair. Sweet view, especially with the sun, trees and snow. Second is a little closer look at the details with the outside sights. Finally, another view/angle for these outdoor wonders.:

Nov2014A8_zps295716f2.jpg

Nov2014A7_zps2dcfdc61.jpg

Nov2014A9_zps5a29620a.jpg

Here are two more birds and snow pictures that might be of interest. Love nature's colorful birds with the snow in the background, on the tree branches, etc.:

Nov2014A4_zps6675b0ea.jpg

Nov2014A5_zpsa7d072bc.jpg

Finally, for those of us in the "colonies", here was a banner that a person in the Charlottesville, Va., neighborhood had hanging out in preparation for our Thanksgiving holiday next week. Cute and colorful?:

Nov2014A6_zps8cdd1a36.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

I guess you're retired, and perhaps now is the time to think about taking an extended trip to England. Scotland is fine .... Wales too ... and nothing wrong with Ireland. I love them all. But England. Rent yourself a place for three weeks or more pretend to be an Englishman for that time and immerse yourself. What else is there for you to do?

Appreciate Jeff's excellent idea to do an extended stay in England, pretend to be an "Englishman for that time and immerse yourself", etc. YES, super great idea!!

But your assumption is only half correct. My wife is retired from school nursing work as of about 18 months ago. BUT, I'm still working!! The good news, however, is that I'm doing a combination of consulting, media/TV programs and chairing a State Board so that I have more time flexibilities. Don't have to be in an office for a set 8:30 am to 5 pm timing. Can adjust meeting times, schedules, have flexibilities, etc.

In April 2007, we did a week at an apartment in Paris' historic Marais district. Worked super well!! Loved that experience. In 2006, we had five days in an apartment in the Sloan Square are of London. Liked "living there" and not just being in a boring, cramped hotel room.

ENGLISH CHALLENGE?: Doing two or three weeks in one part of England would be great. But, where? Not easy to decide and settle on just one specific location. We've seen and enjoyed much in and around the UK, but there are so many wonderful options and potentials. Plus, London is so spectacular (and costly) to use as a base. Choices, choices??!! Your suggestion is wonderfully inspiring. Plus, South Africa/Botswana in January/February 2016 is next on our big trip list. Need to get to China, SE Asia, India, etc., too! Never been to these great locations. Glad Jeff keeps pushing, correctly, to not forget about getting back to the lovely, charming and historic UK. Plus, we have loved France and Italy from many visits there!

For our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days on the Silver Cloud, we got our new, renewed U.S. Passports yesterday. Got quick one-week turn-around from the State Department processing office in Philadelphia. Helped to pay the added "expedite charge", plus have help/push from my Congressman's office. Now, we need to spend the big money ($160 per person) to get the Visa from the Brazil Consulate in Washington, DC. Will use a Silversea service to make sure that process does not get too slowed down during this holiday period. Understand that both India and Brazil can be slow and/or crazy for how they do these things through their offices in the U.S.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these areas. We are now at 188,381 views for this live/blog re-cap on this sailing with much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Good Morning Coolers,

Terry, your stay in the Marais ... hope you had boots ie The Swamp! For a while I had a small apartment in the Marais because my two nights a week (Locomotiv Club) was more expensive in a hotel than an apartment and I am really cheap. I also have family in Paris. It was lovely having the independence of a flat rather than the confinement of a hotel. I was a cheap skate. All the groups also wanted to come back to the flat rather than their hotel so it became quite a place for the odd people of the music industry of those times. I'd often arrive on a Thursday and find people waiting ... It was lovely. I hope you got a taste for gefilter fish balls, potato latkes, schmaltz herring, and kneidlach soup and very high salt beef sandwiches with pickled cucumber. Did you make your way to the bar just across the water on the island with the original guillotine? It has real grass instead of carpet. I sat my wife beside the guillotine and she said "gosh ... isn't it realistic!" I said "yes ... because it was one of the real guillotines ..." :eek:

Today, she came back grumpy form her shopping so I gave her a punsch mit Amaretto schuss in her Schönbrunn mug. Who needs Christmas Markets. :D

8FAD436E-2C44-4AD5-B5A0-A6444D2D270F.jpg

Good Morning Coolers, Terry, your stay in the Marais ... hope you had boots ie The Swamp! For a while I had a small apartment in the Marais because my two nights a week (Locomotiv Club) was more expensive in a hotel than an apartment and I am really cheap.

For Jeff, no swamp worries for us while we stayed in the Marais. But, yes, I know that interesting history with this region of the French capital. Below are a few of my Marais pictures. Bring back any memories? Love this charming area of spectacular Paris so much.

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 86,773 views for this posting.

In the Marais, this covered walkway is a part of the Place des Vosges that was the prototype for the residential squares of European cities that were to come. These brick designs date to 1612. Second is one of the colorful, ethnic food options there. Notice the line waiting to get in this popular location?:

ParMaraisMusic.jpg

ParisMaraisSachaShop.jpg

In the historic Marais area, here are some of the many interesting doors.:

ParDoorsMarais.jpg

At the Sunday market near the Bastille and Marais, fresh seafood and much more!:

MarketSeafood.jpg

Dinner at Bofiner in the Marais area with its unique ceiling and charming interior:

BofinerDinner.jpg

Nice pictures. How did you enjoy Bofinger! Did they throw the metal tray down the stairs ... ;) You got a table under the cupola .. not many lunch menus of the day give you 6 oysters.

Not in the Marais though ... it's at Bastille.

:D

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Nice pictures. How did you enjoy Bofinger! Did they throw the metal tray down the stairs ... ;) Not in the Marais though ... it's at Bastille.

YES, super enjoyed Bofinger. Great dining, setting, etc. As noted in my picture caption, I said "Marais area". Agree that it is not exactly right there within the historic Marais. Close enough for my purposes and standards. No, sorry, didn't get to experience any of the metal trays thrown down the stairs.

Just wanted to remind Jeff, when handy, no rush, to give me his suggestions for a future one or two week UK country location if we decide to do the UK as a "base" to enjoy life as an "English Country Gentleman". Ideas, suggestions, tips?? Or, would London work best and take a series of day-trip? Great opportunity to spend more time in England, soak up its charm, history and character.

As "proof" or evidence that I still work a little, below is a picture of me and activities from yesterday. It's good to get out of the house!! Dress up a little!! Exercise the mental muscles!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 164,411 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

Here's a picture from yesterday afternoon in getting ready to do a TV program segment locally. Shown here on the news set with two of their anchors. Clearly, I'm the older, white-haired guy between the two, better-looking TV types. These TV sets in the U.S. these days have lots of fancy graphics, elaborate lighting, fancy clear-lucite desks, etc. Interesting to do some of this work for local television stations in Central Ohio!:

Nov2014A1_zps4fa93d70.jpg

Terry,

Bofinger has a remarkable history .... and here's one of my pictures of the cupola. There has been a bit of a tourist tradition that a waiter throws a tray down the stairs each lunch time. Bofinger is one of wife's favourite lunch places. ... and talking of cupolas .. don't know whether you had a chance to go to Coupole owned by the same people as Bofinger but this is one of my favourite piccies of "two ladies who lunch." And the Place de Tetre on a rainy night ... I love Paris on a winters night ...

P1010220.jpg

P1010216.jpg

03150004.jpg

placedutetre1.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Terry,

I have been thinking quite a lot about the trip and happy to suggest. The initial temptation is always to say base yourself in London and travel out. But if you can give some idea of your joint passions etc then happy to suggest some ideas.

You look very important and well turned out. My wife spends all her time telling me to "pull my trousers up" and "tuck your shirt in" and normally "don't say anything ...." etc. :D I have absolutely no sartorial grounding at all. I am a complete disgrace.

Terry, Bofinger has a remarkable history .... and here's one of my pictures of the cupola. There has been a bit of a tourist tradition that a waiter throws a tray down the stairs each lunch time. Bofinger is one of wife's favourite lunch places. ... and talking of cupolas .. don't know whether you had a chance to go to Coupole owned by the same people as Bofinger but this is one of my favourite piccies of "two ladies who lunch." And the Place de Tetre on a rainy night ... I love Paris on a winters night ...

UKCruiseJeff: Terry' date=' I have been thinking quite a lot about the trip and happy to suggest. The initial temptation is always to say base yourself in London and travel out. But [b']if you can give some idea of your joint passions[/b] etc then happy to suggest some ideas. You look very important and well turned out. My wife spends all her time telling me to "pull my trousers up" and "tuck your shirt in" and normally "don't say anything ...." etc. I have absolutely no sartorial grounding at all. I am a complete disgrace.

Appreciate the wonderful Paris visuals from Jeff, plus your kind comments. Looking "very important" is almost as a good as actually being that way. It's close enough for "government work" as the saying goes here in the "Colonies"! Don't think you are a "complete disgrace"!!

For our future UK planning, here would be our reactions/thoughts: We might think/dream on a three-week plan. Maybe one week in London, really exploring and "digging deeper" in this great city to build on our past, exciting experiences there, seeing what's new, doing the theatre in the evenings, etc. We've done past adventures in and around the Kent/southern area, the Cotswolds, Cambridge, etc. Maybe a week out towards the Cornwall/coastal areas. Love the unique culture, spectacular landscape and mild climate that makes it a popular tourist destination. Understand Cornwall has many miles of beaches and cliffs. The Doc Martin TV series has us "hooked"!! Then, maybe another location north and/or NW of London that allows lots of interesting old homes/estates, gardens, historic sites, etc. Having Downton Abbey's filming site in the region could be good or visit as we travel! That could mean, maybe, the potential of being within driving distance of Highclere Castle in Hampshire west of London.

What are we missing? Should be considering? The Lakes District sounds interesting, but don't want to get caught with too much of a rain risk. Yes, I know it's England, but we have had great weather luck during our past visits there. Look forward to all of Jeff's ideas, suggestions, plus hearing from any others with UK thoughts, insights.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 188,581 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474world.

Terry - the Lake District is exactly what I was going to suggest! My son and wife had two weeks there this summer with sunshine every day; but I admit this is unusual. Scenery unbeatable, and some good hotels. Ideally one should enjoy walking - not necessarily climbing.

Cold and bright here today - better than it has been in the poor old US of A recently.

Sophia - your moving day must be soon; lots of luck. A friend once gave us very good advice - if you are sleeping in your new house on the first night the first thing to do after the removal men have gone is to make up the bed. Otherwise you might find yourself completely exhausted after doing a few things, and to be able to just flop in is great. I imagine it might be a 2 day move?

LL

Hello All,

Been enjoying looking at all the pictures form Jeff and Terry.

So hectic here l haven't had much time to post!! LL, the move is on this very week but it has to be a four day one as getting confirmation of a date was like pulling teeth so the removal firm had to squeeze me in....so my first night will be on a camp bed with the dog:rolleyes:

I could have stayed with my daughter but I want pup to get used to the new place right away as he'll be in kennels this week...followed by a long drive over.

Terry, the Lakes are beautiful and well worth a visit....

Sophia :)

Appreciate the wonderful Paris visuals from Jeff, plus your kind comments. Looking "very important" is almost as a good as actually being that way. It's close enough for "government work" as the saying goes here in the "Colonies"! Don't think you are a "complete disgrace"!!

For our future UK planning, here would be our reactions/thoughts: We might think/dream on a three-week plan. Maybe one week in London, really exploring and "digging deeper" in this great city to build on our past, exciting experiences there, seeing what's new, doing the theatre in the evenings, etc. We've done past adventures in and around the Kent/southern area, the Cotswolds, Cambridge, etc. Maybe a week out towards the Cornwall/coastal areas. Love the unique culture, spectacular landscape and mild climate that makes it a popular tourist destination. Understand Cornwall has many miles of beaches and cliffs. The Doc Martin TV series has us "hooked"!! Then, maybe another location north and/or NW of London that allows lots of interesting old homes/estates, gardens, historic sites, etc. Having Downton Abbey's filming site in the region could be good or visit as we travel! That could mean, maybe, the potential of being within driving distance of Highclere Castle in Hampshire west of London.

What are we missing? Should be considering? The Lakes District sounds interesting, but don't want to get caught with too much of a rain risk. Yes, I know it's England, but we have had great weather luck during our past visits there. Look forward to all of Jeff's ideas, suggestions, plus hearing from any others with UK thoughts, insights.

Hi Terry,

I've been thinking about the possibility of your trip and I have a number of suggestions and thoughts for you to ponder and Google and fantasise about.

My starting point is two basic ideas. Firstly, if this goes well and you live long enough this might be perhaps just the first of this type of visit. You might repeat it another time. This leads me along a better line of thought that you shouldn't pack everything into this one visit. Pick a section and regions of England, do that well and leave another bit for another day. Don't pack it all into one visit.

The second thing is to try and see this from an American rather than British viewpoint. For example the advice to go to the Lake District is great advice. However ... just my view .... The lake District has a place in the British heart because it is one of the few remote and wild places left in the over populate island of GB. But it is that context. We are in a small over-populated island yearning for a bit of wild. America has loads of space and wide open nature. You will always by passing tourists and eating with them and mixing with them in the tourist traps when visiting the Lake District.

When I go to the states I'm overwhelmed by how large and gorgeous and overwhelming the remoteness is. For example, the lakes of Minnesota and the Blue Mountains of Georgia etc You get there and drive for hours in extraordinary beauty and remoteness. And the smell of those Blue mountains. Americans have a lot of remote space. You can drive the length of the lake district in much less an hour and you'll never really be alone. To us Brits it passes for extraordinary remote natural beauty when we yearn for it. But Americans have lot's of Lake Districts that are better. The advice to go to the Lake District isn't wrong, but I'm placing that idea in the context of my opinion and knowledge of what Americans have.

So with those starting points I'm suggesting you spend a few days at the beginning and end of a trip in London. Head down for the New Forest and base yourself either at Bucklers Hard or one of the new wonderful hotels with restaurant in the Forest. See Winchester and Salisbury, Bucklers Hard, Beaulieu and if we're around you're welcome to have a lunch with us.

I'd then head for Southampton Airport and have a few nights in Jersey. Lovely and interesting war history, extraordinary seafood and scenery and then if you can take a day trip to Sark from Jersey on a ferry boat. You must google Sark ,.. and Jersey.

Back to Southampton and head for Cornwall. Focus on old Cornish sea villages. Perhaps stay in Olga Polizzi's hotel as a base for 3 or 4 nights. She is the grand-daughter of Charles Forte and is currently doing a couple of TV series in the UK. I'd also consider - time willing - couple of nights in The Scilly Isles. There's a helicopter shuttle service from Cornwall. Google.

When done head back for Dartmoor and stay at Gidleigh Park for a great stay and have some food cooked by Michael Caines. I have met him and eaten his food and although he only has one arm is one of the most talented British chefs. From Gidleigh, day trip out visits to Dartmoor, Brixham and Torbay.

Then head for Bath for a couple of nights. Then back to London.

This is a London and West Country trip. The lake District perhaps a part of a subsequent trip. On that subsequent trip I'd consider perhaps a Snowdon based visit as well staying in somewhere like Machynlleth. But that is another trip.

All this is a starting point for Google explorations but ask away. I do so help this rather different set of suggestions is helpful. :)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Appreciate these super great suggestions from Jeff, Sophia, and LL. Will copy and save in my laptop's "future travel" ideas folder. Much to consider, research, etc.!! Right now, I am getting ready to take the dogs to their "country" place while we finish packing to head down to Charlottesville, Va., to see the grandsons, etc., over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Plus, have work to complete for getting my Brazil Visa, doing a TV show taping tonight, etc., etc. AND, our travel friend, Dennis, comes home from the hospital today after his early Saturday fall and broken leg during the ice storm. See a visual below of his leg cast. They're both smiling!!

Now at 61 days until our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing on the Silver Cloud. Looking forward to getting lots more "food porn" visuals to share on these CC boards, doing another live/blog, etc.

Did a photographic class last night on "framing the image". Lots of interesting ideas and suggestion for ways to improve, capture better visuals, etc. One key point is that you need to "work" at looking for interesting visuals and actually doing the taking of the pictures. Just thinking about it, is not good enough. Practice does make perfect. Below is one of his visual "tips" from that presentation. He does lots of underwater photos and I got some good ideas for capturing better waterfall pictures to have a more "creamy" water look. Will need to try those and many others ideas while in the Caribbean, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 87,002 views for this recent posting.

Here is our frequent travel friend, Dennis, with his wife Janet, recovering from leg surgery after a bad fall on the ice Saturday morning. He's coming home from the hospital today!! No weight on the leg for eight weeks. Ouch!! Not fun, but they are both smiling.:

Nov2014A2_zps099132cb.jpg

At a photo class last night, here is one of his presentation slides/examples on the "Rule of Threes". Part of the point is that you do not want everything to always be perfectly centered. Varied angles and composition can make visuals more "interesting" and involving.:

Nov2014A3_zps40caec81.jpg

Here is the latest update for life here in the "colonies" with snow, grandsons, travel, work, etc. Now in Charlottesville, Va., getting ready for Thanksgiving Day. Much to appreciate and enjoy on this special day!! See four visual updates below.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 164,717 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

My 5.5 year-old MacBook Pro computer went into the "challenged" category with its screen hinge, how it would not open and close properly, etc. Plus, it was kind of time to upgrade, getting a faster machine, have a super big 1T solid-state flash drive, etc. On the left is the new laptop. Both have the same-sized, 15" screens, but the old one on the right looks bigger because it is closer to the camera's wide-angle lens. Got this new laptop Tuesday afternoon, did the data conversion, things working smoothly, etc. In the Wednesday USA Today publication, this laptop with the super high-definition screen was rated as "Laptop of the Year"!!:

Nov2014A4_zpsa8f5c673.jpg

Did a Tuesday evening taping at the local NBC-TV station in Columbus. Shown here with their 22-year veteran anchor on the news set with the visual of the Ohio Statehouse in the background. While there, their super smart and experienced weather chief gave me the details about how our routing to Virginia would escape the bad snow storms that were going to be hitting the NE part of the U.S. on Wednesday and Thursday. He nailed that forecast correctly! Fortunately!:

Nov2014A1_zps4b46b81d.jpg

Then, here we are driving to Charlottesville on Wednesday, yesterday. Here is the view as we were getting ready to cross into the Commonwealth of Virginia. See the state border sign and the UPS truck at the right? The snow was very pretty while we were crossing through these West Virginia and Virginia mountains on I-64, but fortunately it was just wet pavement. Great views to see the trees, terrain, etc. with snow coverage.:

Nov2014A2_zps33e5d48e.jpg

Getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner? Here is our two-year-old grandson Wednesday evening stirring the salt-water brine to have the turkey be soaking overnight. Cute? Violating child-labor laws? More food pictures to follow later.:

Nov2014A3_zps30588879.jpg

Thanks for all the photos Terry. I was quite surprised this morning passing the flagpole in our tiny (150 people) village in the heart of England to see our resident flag raiser had put up the Stars and Stripes on the pole. Normally only for the likes of St.George's Day, and half mast if a local dies. So your US influence has permeated even to this backwoods area!

My grandson's wife is cooking a Thanksgiving dinner for all of them this weekend - she is from Nashville, Tennessee, currently living with him in South London.