Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

For a little "flavor" on college football in America and Ohio, below are three visuals that might be of interest. No food in these three pictures, but I will try to get a few quick pictures this afternoon that involve dining delights. It's a 3:30 pm nationally-televised game on either ABC or ESPN Duce, depending on your geographic area of the country. The really big game today is #2 Florida State hosting #5 Notre Dame in prime time at 8 pm. Both undefeated.

Go Bucks!! Beat Scarlet Knights!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 24,982 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

From the Bing images website, here are three samples in connection with Ohio Stadium. First, an overall view of this big stadium that will have 108,000 fans there today. The original stadium is Roman-styled and was built in 1921. Second is a view from inside this double-decked "horseshoe". Third is the OSU Marching Band doing its famed "Script Ohio" moving formation with the "i" being dotted on the field. Great fall color, excitement and fun!!:

FallShots10-16A10_zps5a6cd1bb.jpg

FallShots10-16A8_zpsa7d3cee5.jpg

FallShots10-16A9_zps0012d647.jpg

Sophia - please please get better enough in time to go! We have had similar situations, and so far got away with it.

Lots of thoughts winging your way.

LL:)

Thanks LL, sadly I have had to throw the towel in and cancel.....l just know I'm not going to be fit enough to travel.

I'm very disappointed but I still have April on the Spirit to look forward to and I'm sure I'll manage to get a break in January.

Thanks Jeff and Terry for your kind thoughts also.....loving all the pictures...

Sophia:)

Thanks LL, sadly I have had to throw the towel in and cancel.....l just know I'm not going to be fit enough to travel.

I'm very disappointed but I still have April on the Spirit to look forward to and I'm sure I'll manage to get a break in January.

Thanks Jeff and Terry for your kind thoughts also.....loving all the pictures...

😪😢😂

Sent from my iPad using Forums

specialcruisegirl: sadly I have had to throw the towel in and cancel.....l just know I'm not going to be fit enough to travel. I'm very disappointed but I still have April on the Spirit to look forward to and I'm sure I'll manage to get a break in January.

Thanks Jeff and Terry for your kind thoughts also.....loving all the pictures... Sophia

Sorry that Sophia will not be to do her planned cruise. BUT' date=' glad you are[b'] looking to "get a break" in January[/b]. Join with us on the Silver Cloud for one or both of our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailings!! I'll make you a photo star on my live/blog and guarantee lots of fun and excitement. Plus, great company, free drinks and good food!!

Glad that Sophia and others are encouraging my photo sharing. More below is shown in this phase one offering. More visuals to be posted about our "activities" in Central Ohio on a fall Saturday afternoon. Lots of fun with my camera yesterday and some good results at the game and with the pictures.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 160,982 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At a tail-gate that I usual attend, hosted by a long-time friend, there is the "usual suspects" in food and munchies, etc. Some Subway subs, cold beverages (Diet Coke for me). This is before the 13th-ranked Ohio State team was hosting Rutgers from New Jersey. The Rutgers University football program is considered to be one of the most historic programs in the USA. In 1869, Rutgers defeated Princeton University by a 6-4 score for what is considered to be the first ever intercollegiate football game.:

FallShots10-16A1_zps98f4a032.jpg

Lots of fans dropping by this tail-gate before the Ohio State versus Rutgers game. This includes my snapshot with on the left the current Ohio Attorney General (a former U.S. Senator) greeting a Democratic State Representative (and former editor of the main newspaper here in Central Ohio) with the current County Prosecutor, a Republican, on the right side. Bi-partisan! Both parties being very friendly in uniting for the OSU Buckeyes!:

FallShots10-16A3_zps76ed5fbe.jpg

In the stadium? From our section overlooking the 20-yard-line, here's a sample of a small portion of the Homecoming crowd in Ohio Stadium. The crowd? For this nationally-televised game, it was 106,795! Who won? More on that later!:

FallShots10-16A2_zpseb30f60f.jpg

Now for real college football action, fun and excitement??!! Took my Nikon D7100 camera with a 18-140 mm zoom lens. Not a big, long lens from our seating in the 25th row on the 20-yard line. Got this camera late last year before our Australia-New Zealand-Hawaii trip. Love this camera and its quality. Took about 8,000 pictures on that trip. See more "proof" and evidence below on this camera (and the operator) performance as I prep for our upcoming Jan-Feb. 2015 Amazon-Caribbean adventure over 26 days.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 82,096 views for this fun posting.

One of the exciting first half plays happened right in front of us when this Ohio State defensive back (in red jersey) leaped high to intercept this pass when Rutgers was marching and close to scoring. Great defensive action!!:

FallShots10-16A4_zpsfcd9e03c.jpg

It is half-time for the Ohio State-Rutgers game and then the famed OSU marching bacd performs on the field. Called TBDBIL for the Best Damn Band in the Land, they are led by their drum major, shown below. They finished their salute to rock classic music/field performance with a highly-traditional double "Script Ohio" on the field that moves to spell out O-H-I-O on the field. See the results below as the "I" is dotted!:

FallShots10-16A5_zps0a42ba7f.jpg

FallShots10-16A6_zpsac08c8bc.jpg

Here was another exciting play that my camera fortunately caught. In the end zone, receiver Evan Spencer caught this 11-yard pass with just one hand!! Amazing and spectacular TD catch!! This score gave OSU a 56-10 lead. Final score was 56-17.:

FallShots10-16A7_zps641aa61c.jpg

At the end of the game, the football players and coaches go to where the band is located in the south end zone for the singing of the school alma mater, Carmen Ohio. Nice finish to a great game and day! Then it was heading home with friends to watch the exciting Notre Dame at Florida State thriller.:

FallShots10-16A81_zps761f2f4e.jpg

Go blue. Beat osu.

With all due respect to the above hopeful University of Michigan fan, yesterday was a highly-succesful day for this UM friend. Michigan didn't lose. How and why? They didn't play!! So far, Michigan is 3-4 and unranked. Two of their wins were against weak cup-cake teams. There are rumbles that their coach will be fired soon. This week the Wolverines must travel to and face highly-ranked Michigan State at East Lansing. Tough challenge for UM. Next Sunday, we will see how happy is spinnaker2.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 186,572 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Well, I have no idea whether you can catch bugs by reading an infected persons post, but I've had either a virus or a dose of poisoning since last Monday and have lost three quarters of a stone in a manner I'd never intended. I blame Soapy Gal. Well, you have to blame someone. It is either a virus from someone or something delivered, or if it was food then some mortadella with ciabatta which I had last Monday. Never has a meat been more appropriately named! :mad:

Anyway, the only thing I've taken since last Monday is scooping up with a mug from a big vat of home made chicken soup which has been bubbling away since Wednesday or so.

I do so hope it goes away soon as I am particularly grumpy about it and feeling very sorry for myself. I feel sorrier for Soaky Girl, as her virus has really been so unfair. She really deserved and needed that trip. I half expect to see her banging on our door in Singapore next January/February demanding her free tiffin.

:(

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
spelling

Well, I have no idea whether you can catch bugs by reading an infected persons post, but I've had either a virus or a dose of poisoning since last Monday and have lost three quarters of a stone in a manner I'd never intended. I blame Soapy Gal. Well, you have to blame someone. It is either a virus from someone or something delivered, or if it was food then some mortadella with ciabatta which I had last Monday. Never has a meat been more appropriately named! :mad:

Anyway, the only thing I've taken since last Monday is scooping up with a mug from a big vat of home made chicken soup which has been bubbling away since Wednesday or so.

I do so hope it goes away soon as I am particularly grumpy about it and feeling very sorry for myself. I feel sorrier for Soaky Girl, as her virus has really been so unfair. She really deserved and needed that trip. I half expect to see her banging on our door in Singapore next January/February demanding her free tiffin.

:(

From what I'm hearing around here and indeed in other areas there is some kind of nasty virus doing the rounds and attacking folk in various forms.

It's many years since such a strike has knocked me off my feet and it couldn't have hit at a worst time...:rolleyes:

Having said that l am a great believer in fate and it's quite clear to me that l wasn't meant to go on this trip....so l don't dwell, just start looking forward to the April voyage and count my blessings....one such being that l have sold up here and can look forward to moving closer to my lovely family and having a wonderful festive season to look forward to also.....fingers crossed!!

Right now I'm waiting to hear where my luggage has landed and how soon I'll get it back......Frank Sansone is in charge of this so l guess I've given him a headache this morning....;)

Looks like Gonzalo is heading toward us later from Bermuda but not as bad....we hope!

Still enjoying all the pictures from Terry.....need some mouth watering offerings Jeff....if you please....baked ham here today with eggs and home fries.

Very sad news today about the lovely Lynda Bellingham.....may she rest in peace.

Hello Sophia,

Fate can often dissapoint, but fate is fate. You have your next trip to look forward to and that will be twice as sweet. Hopefully if the move goes well, then you'll be able to celebrate a completely new life in your new location.

I'm afraid there's no food piccies. I've had my first solids today. A banana and a bacon sandwich, I'm hoping for a reasonable outcome! ;)

I just wanted to encourage Terry not to be discouraged by the persistent nastiness of a couple of pathetic posts on another thread. I know it sounds really silly of me but I was upset to read the two snide comments. Terry seems to me to be a thoroughly nice person. Highly individual. His style is .... err ...different! :) Never done anything to offend anyone. But two people have taken the time and trouble to pointlessly hurt his feelings. He will be hurt and perplexed by it. Shame on the pair of them.

I use to post an answer to this type of nastiness, but what is the point? If that is how they get their joy then they should be pitied for having such empty and pointless existences. I for one get some joy out of seeing someone else really looking forward to and anticipating some travel and sharing that excitement, and all decent people will share others joy rather than take time to kill it or poo on it. It's just really nasty. Oddly they do not differentiate between their own incessant boasting which they both indulge in - one of them incredibly (if you add all the claims up) claims to spend around 25% of her year either travelling to or spending time on cruises and then land travel as well as return travel etc - and genuine joy by a genuine person. The incessant belittling of all others and self-inflation is nauseating.

The sad fact is that I have pretty much given up forums now. The best forums are self-policed to a degree where the nice people make the nasty people feel unwelcome, and then hopefully you have a congenial place. The problem is that you get to a tipping point when the nasty people are more determined than the nice people, and when they do, the forum implodes into little or no posting. That is what has happened with CC SS.

In this thread I was simply hoping with the Watercooler we'd seed enough people to repopulate a forum with enough nice people to see it revive. i wish these tiresome people would do the decent thing and just shut up if they don't have anything to say that either helps others or makes others smile.

The great thing is that this will not offend either of them because they have both stated I am on their ignore list.

Jeff

We're seriously contemplating two cruises on the Explorer, one to the Arctic and one to Antarctica over the next 2-7 years, so I expect to be around these parts pretty frequently and figured I'd say hi.

Edited by ducklite

Jeff I don't often post but I posted on another thread to say I enjoy Terry's photographs and travel observations. Enjoy this thread and will have more time to post as retirement fast approaching March 2015. Hope you are well on the road to recovery from your virus. Sophia sorry you had to cancel your cruise and I am sure your next trip will be worth the wait. Husband currently has a head cold and I told him better now than early Dec when we join the Explorer for our Antartic adventure.

Donna

Jeff I don't often post but I posted on another thread to say I enjoy Terry's photographs and travel observations. Enjoy this thread and will have more time to post as retirement fast approaching March 2015. Hope you are well on the road to recovery from your virus. Sophia sorry you had to cancel your cruise and I am sure your next trip will be worth the wait. Husband currently has a head cold and I told him better now than early Dec when we join the Explorer for our Antartic adventure.

Donna

Donna,

It was kind of you to post your support of "our Terry". One of the posters has now a strong track record of nastiness and has made it quite clear when confronted about her posts in the past that she is clueless about her own abusive or rude posts and very clearly takes the view that she is so superior to the rest of us that normal decency and manners doesn't apply to her superior status. You'll recall she has taken to correcting posters grammar and if the get some trivial point inaccurate tries to make them feel foolish, but indulges herself in an unsurpassed level of incoherence in some posts. The lapdog that followed has slightly less self-confidence - also has form in the abuse league table - and likes to wait for someone else to make the first rude posts. Presumably they behave exactly the same face to face in which case, just be thankful you don't have to pretend to be nice to them and breathe the same air over a dinner table. :)

I am a bloke and therefore as you well know, we suffer illness less than stoically, but I have to say I feel a bit better now. I have ordered some lamb to make some kebabs tomorrow as wifey has been suffering a bit over the last week or so on the catering front. Some salad and pitta, perhaps might chance some wine. I must get back into serious self-abuse.

So, tell us what you are looking forward to about your Explorer trip if you have time. Some of us would love to hear.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

We're seriously contemplating two cruises on the Explorer, one to the Arctic and one to Antarctica over the next 2-7 years, so I expect to be around these parts pretty frequently and figured I'd say hi.

Hi there .... just a note to say "hello" and welcome to the environs of the cooler. Intrigued to hear about your light travel Europe trip. And why does someone inOrlando yearn for California?

Jeff

Donna

Hi Donna,

Good to have you posting with us here. I'm lucky to have another trip booked so all is not that bad to be honest.

You have the Explorer to look forward to which will certainly be an adventure....and retirement is good!

Sophia :)

Donna, we will all want to know about your retirement. Read back a few posts and you can get some good advice given by one of the sages of the watercooler, who also gives color to the watercooler, making him a watercolor. ( is it watercolour in U.K?, don't want to offend the carabinieri)

Jeff has posted poetic about retirement, and it's worth reading.

Hello Sophia,

Fate can often dissapoint, but fate is fate. You have your next trip to look forward to and that will be twice as sweet. Hopefully if the move goes well, then you'll be able to celebrate a completely new life in your new location.

I'm afraid there's no food piccies. I've had my first solids today. A banana and a bacon sandwich, I'm hoping for a reasonable outcome! ;)

I just wanted to encourage Terry not to be discouraged by the persistent nastiness of a couple of pathetic posts on another thread. I know it sounds really silly of me but I was upset to read the two snide comments. Terry seems to me to be a thoroughly nice person. Highly individual. His style is .... err ...different! :) Never done anything to offend anyone. But two people have taken the time and trouble to pointlessly hurt his feelings. He will be hurt and perplexed by it. Shame on the pair of them.

I use to post an answer to this type of nastiness, but what is the point? If that is how they get their joy then they should be pitied for having such empty and pointless existences. I for one get some joy out of seeing someone else really looking forward to and anticipating some travel and sharing that excitement, and all decent people will share others joy rather than take time to kill it or poo on it. It's just really nasty. Oddly they do not differentiate between their own incessant boasting which they both indulge in - one of them incredibly (if you add all the claims up) claims to spend around 25% of her year either travelling to or spending time on cruises and then land travel as well as return travel etc - and genuine joy by a genuine person. The incessant belittling of all others and self-inflation is nauseating.

The sad fact is that I have pretty much given up forums now. The best forums are self-policed to a degree where the nice people make the nasty people feel unwelcome, and then hopefully you have a congenial place. The problem is that you get to a tipping point when the nasty people are more determined than the nice people, and when they do, the forum implodes into little or no posting. That is what has happened with CC SS.

In this thread I was simply hoping with the Watercooler we'd seed enough people to repopulate a forum with enough nice people to see it revive. i wish these tiresome people would do the decent thing and just shut up if they don't have anything to say that either helps others or makes others smile.

The great thing is that this will not offend either of them because they have both stated I am on their ignore list.

Jeff

Good to hear you are on the mend Jeff, I'm feeling more human today...at last!

You know, we are old enough and wise enough to quite simply ignore and move on from such folk who feel the need to be nasty and indeed very sarcastic and l do hope Terry will ignore their comments and continue to post his pics for us to enjoy here on the cooler.

Sophia :)

Ok, I get fifty lashes. Knew the dreaded grammar people were out there. Jeff, glad you are feeling feisty.

More thirsty than feisty! :D Don't know whether I can chance it yet as the repercussions of a poor decision can be explosive. :eek:

I do however, as you quite right imply - sometimes seem to bring out the worst in others.

Like you I'm intrigued to hear about Donnas's retirement plans. Just nosiness.

By the way, I have just realised that i have presumed you as being a bloke, but you could be a blokess. There is absolutely no obligation for you to clarify either way, you can remain mysterious without causing any offence.

:)

Jeff