Snorkeling From The Beach; What do you recommend for these ports?

1stTIMECRUZER

• 1 month later...

I've only been to GSC, so I can't speak to the other destinations. GSC is NCLs private island. They have a snorkel route on the island, if your interested in that. Otherwise, if you just want to snorkel on your own, go down to the far end of the island, close to the lagoon. When I was there last, the tides were low, and the best way of snorkelling was floating over the coral and waiting for the fish to come out.

Wherever you choose to go, bring water shoes, as there are many rocks as you go in.

I'm doing the same itinerary as you, and I've booked the reef and wreck snorkel in Grand Cayman. The reviews looked pretty good.

IF you get to tender into Georgetown, they drop you off next to Eden Rock. There is a dive shop there with gear rental and steps carved into the rocks for entry. It's a bit of a swim out to the good stuff, so if that's a problem for you, Sunset House is less than a mile further down the road. There, the reef actually runs into the shoreline... and they have a nice Tiki Bar too! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

In Cozumel catch a taxi to the Corona Beach Bar. It's not very far and you can see your ship from there. They have snorkel gear to rent and and outside shower to rinse off and bathrooms. Nice area under the trees with picnic tables and ice cold beer and food too. The entry has some sandbags for easy entry. It's our go to place when visiting Cozumel from the cruise ship. Lots of good snorkeling in Coz. Just stay away from the sandy areas and go for the iron shore spots.

Also try Seven-mile Beach on GC, near the piers. Go straight out to the reef in front of where you see the buoys and ships anchored. But not *that* far out; the buoys near the ships mark the shipping channel! I think there's a hotel/bar there--look at Google Earth to check it out.

• 3 weeks later...

Grand Cayman, Smith's Cove, walk the opposite direction than everyone else going to Seven Mile Beach, from the tender pier in Georgetown- nice, easy mile walk to Smith Cove- gorgeous, walk in, fantastic snorkel beach- uncrowded- photogenic- some shade, a few picnic tables.

• 1 month later...
For Grand Cayman, do you have a preference for either one? Are there places to sit/loungers at each one (free or rental)? Trying to decide....Thanks!

We ended up going to Sunset House -- really enjoyed it (even if it was a somewhat rainy day). We were fine with sitting at a table (no loungers) & the snorkeling was great!

We intended to go to Money Bar in Cozumel but got talked into Sky Reef at the cab stand -- it was pretty good at first, saw a lot of fish, & not too busy -- but then the snorkel excursions started showing up. Next time we'll go back to Money Bar.

We ended up going to Sunset House -- really enjoyed it (even if it was a somewhat rainy day). We were fine with sitting at a table (no loungers) & the snorkeling was great!

For the record ... there are loungers around the pool and if buying at the bar - and no special event making the place super crowded - they are cool with visitors using the pool and loungers (but it is nice to ASK .... renting gear is a plus point to this . . .)

Edited by Capt_BJ