Insurance Help

sassytex

Was originally going to use Princess travel insurance, but after reading on here decided to get independent travel insurance.

I've narrowed our Insurance choices to CSA Freestyle Luxe or Travel Insured, for our Alaska cruise and 4 day DYI land trip in May. I understand with Travel Insured we will have a 60 day look back period on pre-existing conditions. If I understand correctly on CSA I don't if we buy it before our final payment, which is March.

We are most concerned with having medical and evacuation coverage. Anyone with experience with either of these. Would love to hear opinions. Thanks

Please contact someone at tripinsurancestore.com and get a professional answer. They're great to deal with and can advise you regarding your specific circumstances. It doesn't cost you anything to get their advice.

For pre existing coverage most travel insurance companies require you to buy the travel coverage within a 14 day window of purchasing your cruise. This way there is no look-back period if there is a problem medically. Another option to look into is purchasing a yearly emergency medical coverage policy for medical expenses when traveling away from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Missymo

Was originally going to use Princess travel insurance, but after reading on here decided to get independent travel insurance.

I've narrowed our Insurance choices to CSA Freestyle Luxe or Travel Insured, for our Alaska cruise and 4 day DYI land trip in May. I understand with Travel Insured we will have a 60 day look back period on pre-existing conditions. If I understand correctly on CSA I don't if we buy it before our final payment, which is March.

We are most concerned with having medical and evacuation coverage. Anyone with experience with either of these. Would love to hear opinions. Thanks

Please contact someone at tripinsurancestore.com and get a professional answer. They're great to deal with and can advise you regarding your specific circumstances. It doesn't cost you anything to get their advice.

By all means, do contact Steve (or others) at

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

for answers about comparing different policies from different insurers.

There is no extra charge for purchasing through them.

Call them, don't just rely upon online policy summaries; the fine print often *matters*!

We have been getting Travel Insured coverage since we started frequent and distant travel a few years ago

If you purchase the policy (at least one kind; can't say for sure about *all* of their policies, so double check) within 21 days of FIRST payment (refundable or not), then there is NO lookback period: There is a waiver of the exclusion for pre-existing conditions.

We've had several claims with TI thus far, and all have been processed and paid without any nonsense.

(Obviously they want certain paperwork to verify that the claim is valid, but we didn't think anything they requested was inappropriate.)

We don't know for sure, but we are guessing that by having that waiver, the claims that were based upon a medical problem were processed very promptly, as there wasn't any need for TI to determine if there was any pre-existing condition that may have voided the coverage. So they didn't need any past medical records, just records from the illness that caused the expenses.

The one time we missed that 21 day window, we then got the CSA coverage, which has the waiver if insurance is started within 24 hours of FINAL payment (defined narrowly for obvious reasons, so check on that).

The main problem is that IF one wants CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason), that is much more expensive through CSA.

But we didn't have a claim with CSA, so can't speak about that experience.

We just had a 'lesson' on trip insurance from some friends that do quite a bit of traveling. It seems that many credit cards will now cover your trip for up to $10,000. As this is only the trip, we also purchased an annual travel medical insurance policy thru GeoBlue (blue cross blue shield company). This seems a much more economical way to go...especially if you do a lot of traveling.

We just had a 'lesson' on trip insurance from some friends that do quite a bit of traveling. It seems that many credit cards will now cover your trip for up to $10,000. As this is only the trip, we also purchased an annual travel medical insurance policy thru GeoBlue (blue cross blue shield company). This seems a much more economical way to go...especially if you do a lot of traveling.

We have always bought travel insurance, but I do have a preferred Chase Sapphire card which has some travel benefits although I am not sure if it covers what I need. On our last two trips we have bought cancel for any reason and it was a very expensive insurance.

Thanks everyone for all the help. We ended up going with a police with Travel Insured from The Travel Insurance Store. They were a great help. We were worried about the pre-existing, but neither of us has been to the doctor in the last 60 days (their look back period). My husband is on blood pressure meds, but the dosage has been the same for several months so this policy worked for us.

...As this is only the trip, we also purchased an annual travel medical insurance policy thru GeoBlue (blue cross blue shield company). This seems a much more economical way to go...especially if you do a lot of traveling.

Just FYI, the GeoBlue coverage will not help the OP while she is in Alaska. GeoBlue is only valid outside the United States.