Honolulu - Best way to get around

MrsA from Aust

We are going to be in Honolulu on Fri 12th of Dec.

What will be the best way to get around Honolulu/Waikiki? We dock at 9am and leave at 11pm.

I was thinking of hiring a car but if we are not going to use it much I think it will be a waste.

We want to go and see Pearl Harbour and some Hawaii 5 O locations (and any other places anyone can recommend).

Is there a shuttle buses/trolleys that get around easy enough?

We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids aged 8 & 2)

Thanks, :)

I agree, choose a tour. My only concern would be the 9 am arrival. When we did Pearl Harbor, we were picked up T 7:30 am! Good luck as it is truly a great experience.

I am not familiar with a tour of Hawaii 5-0 scenes but it has been a few years since I pave been to Ohau.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have plenty of timeo would rent a car , would also buy tickets for pearl so u get right in

Then make you way to diamond head , then Waikiki beach see some 50 locations

Go to h1 h2 toward dole plantation , stop for whip

Continue to state park go to waterfall

Drive thru north shore great to see big water / surf

Done it many times

Car should be about 70 buck for the day

Another 20 for parking at the beach

Enjoy

so much to see in one day!

I don't know if you can whirlwind places like Pearl or Waikiki...

we spent a few hours at pearl taking it all in, but I guess it's whether you just want to look and move on, or check everything out...?

Waikiki beach is nice to see and admire and has a particularly beautiful sunset:

882070_10202427458821762_3291144944809849466_o.jpg

We did the hire car thing, but as others said - traffic can be nasty!

we did the north shore turtle tour... though it left at like 7am... so it's probably out for you guys..

try the Roberts Hawaii tours - they specialize in the cruise based tour schedule!

Enjoy - Hawaii is a beautiful place... can't wait to go back!

Cheers,

Matt

I lived on Oahu for 3 yrs. if you only want to do Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head or Waikiki then use the public transit as those are all on the south shore. If you want to go to the North Shore, Dole Plantation, Hanauma Bay( snorkeling) or Sharks Cove (snorkeling) I would rent a car. There is also a really cool Macadamia Nut farm tour which is owned by locals and a car would be handy. The traffic can be bad but it's usually bad at certain times of day and usually just in the Honolulu/ Waikiki area. The drive on the H3 out to Kaneohe Bay is beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Excellent. Thank you for that info.

I will check out Roberts Tours. I like the freedom of hiring a car but like the extra information that comes with the tour.

Looks like a have a bit more researching to do.

If anyone can name some places where Hawaii 5-0 is filmed or filming that would be great.

If you are just staying in Honolulu, then there is absolutely no need for a car. As was said, traffic is impossible, plus there are just no places to park.

But if you want to get out of the city and explore the rest of the island, then you need that car. It's as simple as that.

Cheers

Len

No need for an excursion if you are just doing Honolulu/Waikiki. Save your money for something else. The tour bus will get stuck in traffic just like the local public transportation or your rental car - you're just paying more to be miserable with a herd of tourists ;)

You can use The Bus to get to Pearl, down to Waikiki, up to Diamond Head. If you want to go further (Kailua, North Shore, Byodo-In Temple), rent a car.

As far as 5-0 locations: The parking lot across the lagoon from Hilton Hawaiian Village is where Kamekono's food truck parks.

The Byodo-In Temple in the Valley of the Temples Memorial Park has been on 5-0 (new and original) and Magnum, P.I.

HIlton Hawaiian Village is there when they do a beach scene (it's a major sponsor of 5-0).

Downtown is the State Judicial building, which serves at 5-0 headquarters.