Make online check in easier please!

Cashew14

Is it just me or does it seem that online check in takes longer and longer. :confused:

It took me 45 minutes, reason being if one field is not filled in properly you get the error mistake. But! It does not tell you where you made the mistake. So you have to go through each page trying to figure out where the mistake was being made.

I think improvements could be made to make it a little easier for guests to actually do it. I have IT background but I am thinking of new guests and maybe older guests who are not finding this easy.

I think it took me maybe 10 minutes for my cruise in November. It wasn't difficult at all. Has hal changed it recently?

Maybe because we travel to the US, it requires more information? I am not sure but I found it to be much more extensive this year than last year.

And the main problem really was when you made an error it did not tell you where you made the error and unless you found it, you could not proceed to the next step. And I had to go back to page 1 and go through each question to trying to find it.

One new thing was with flight details. Instead of just wanting the flight number, they now want the exact details with stop overs and flight times down to even the minute.

Edited by Cashew14

Is it just me or does it seem that online check in takes longer and longer. :confused:

It took me 45 minutes, reason being if one field is not filled in properly you get the error mistake. But! It does not tell you where you made the mistake. So you have to go through each page trying to figure out where the mistake was being made.

I think improvements could be made to make it a little easier for guests to actually do it. I have IT background but I am thinking of new guests and maybe older guests who are not finding this easy.

Issue could be since you are non-US. I just did mine and found it very easy and quick. They saved alot of information from my last cruise and autofilled it in for me, so I was pleasantly surprised with this.

DaveOKC

Issue could be since you are non-US. I just did mine and found it very easy and quick. They saved alot of information from my last cruise and autofilled it in for me, so I was pleasantly surprised with this.

DaveOKC

None of the autofill function here. But interesting. Maybe they should improve it for non US citizens in that case.

It just seems the information required now is getting a bit over the top.

But again, it should be an easy exercise to tell the customer when they fill in wrong information to highlight the box where they made the mistake.

The excessive amount of drop down menus for flight times, etc are what get me. Rather than just typing in the exact hour and then minute, you have to scroll all the way down. Heaven help us if we have non direct flights that depart or land towards the end of the hour (scrolling down through 50+ numbers!). If I recall correctly, you can't tab between them either which then requires multiple mouse clicks to get to each drop down menu.

I had to fill out the info for a non US citizen that was traveling with us, so I feel your pain, Cashew14.

Disclaimer, we are a family of four so my frustration with the on-line check in is amplified as I have to complete four of them for each cruise! Out of all the problems in the world, this is a nice one to have;)

The excessive amount of drop down menus for flight times, etc are what get me. Rather than just typing in the exact hour and then minute, you have to scroll all the way down. Heaven help us if we have non direct flights that depart or land towards the end of the hour (scrolling down through 50+ numbers!). If I recall correctly, you can't tab between them either which then requires multiple mouse clicks to get to each drop down menu.

I had to fill out the info for a non US citizen that was traveling with us, so I feel your pain, Cashew14.

Disclaimer, we are a family of four so my frustration with the on-line check in is amplified as I have to complete four of them for each cruise! Out of all the problems in the world, this is a nice one to have;)

I so agree. :):)

I usually do all of our bookings regarding flights, hotels, trips etc. What gets me is how complicated these days any bookings or enquiries are. You spend more time trying to figure out passwords, sign up procedures, pin numbers, retrieving of emails, security questions etc

It seems online technology is getting unnecessarily complicated and takes away a lot of your time. :eek:

Does the program fill some of the information for all 4 of you (based on the first person's responses? I know it does for the second person (like airline info).

Edited by DaveOKC

Maybe because we travel to the US, it requires more information? I am not sure but I found it to be much more extensive this year than last year.

And the main problem really was when you made an error it did not tell you where you made the error and unless you found it, you could not proceed to the next step. And I had to go back to page 1 and go through each question to trying to find it.

One new thing was with flight details. Instead of just wanting the flight number, they now want the exact details with stop overs and flight times down to even the minute.

I'm Canadian so I can't imagine it being more difficult than yours. For as long as I can remember they have asked for hour and minute details. This is not a new thing.

I tried to check in but couldn't. The program wouldn't let me input all the needed passport info. It kept showing an error for one part then when I fixed it for one person it removed the info and flagged the error for someone else. I tried two browsers and it still was just a long waste of time. This was for the birth location field. Very frustrating bug.

Edited by jmps

it seems to get easier each time as much info is saved from lat cruise. I wish they saved more and if changed then we could correct. We don't fly to cruises and are in US so it appears that many problems are travel or nationality related.

The only recent changes have been new passport numbers.

I'm Canadian so I can't imagine it being more difficult than yours. For as long as I can remember they have asked for hour and minute details. This is not a new thing.

Well, sorry, but last time they only wanted the flight number and airline. Also last time they only wanted name and location of our post cruise hotels. This time they wanted address, postcode etc

I know what I put in last time and what was new this time.

Do you do each of the four one at a time? I used to do it that way for the two of us but then I discovered that I can do it for both of us at the same time by ticking a little box at the start of the process. After I finish with the info for the first guest, farther down the same page, I fill out the same type of info for the second guest, and then proceed to the next section and so on. Of course, filling out information for four people would take longer...

As for highlighting where errors were made or items omitted, I thought they did. I don't remember having to go back to page 1 to try to find out where the issue was. I thought they didn't allow one to continue on to the next section until the error/omission was corrected for the just completed section. It's been a couple of months since I did our last online check-in. And I did skip over the flight information since I haven't booked our flights yet.

One would think the process would be similar for everyone than just those in North America. Since it's not, HAL should make it so.

Do you do each of the four one at a time? I used to do it that way for the two of us but then I discovered that I can do it for both of us at the same time by ticking a little box at the start of the process. After I finish with the info for the first guest, farther down the same page, I fill out the same type of info for the second guest, and then proceed to the next section and so on. Of course, filling out information for four people would take longer...

As for highlighting where errors were made or items omitted, I thought they did. I don't remember having to go back to page 1 to try to find out where the issue was. I thought they didn't allow one to continue on to the next section until the error/omission was corrected for the just completed section. It's been a couple of months since I did our last online check-in. And I did skip over the flight information since I haven't booked our flights yet.

One would think the process would be similar for everyone than just those in North America. Since it's not, HAL should make it so.

You are correct, you DONT have to necessarily go back to page 1 to correct. But if there is no indication where the mistake was made, this is what I had to do to check absolutely each question and answer. I was I believe on page 5 and had to go back to page 2 where I found the error.

I am usually quite savvy in these things but I just think this is an area which HAL could improve on to speed up the check in procedure online.

I tried the process again and was able to get past the passport info this time. That bug appears to have been fixed. I tried to enter a flight from Linkoping Sweden in the flight info section. That was not possible. If the flight city/code does not match an existing choice then it doesn't allow it. This is another bug at least for the browsers I tried. I put the flight to be from an existing city just to get this done but it is not correct information. BTW, I am educated in and work as a computer software engineer so this isn't likely pilot error.

Edited by jmps

I should be grateful for what they have done right....yes, the "same travel info for all passengers" field is super helpful if we are all traveling together:)

I am not very techie, maybe I have something enabled/disabled that does not save our previous info for passports, etc?

I tried to check in but couldn't. The program wouldn't let me input all the needed passport info. It kept showing an error for one part then when I fixed it for one person it removed the info and flagged the error for someone else. I tried two browsers and it still was just a long waste of time. This was for the birth location field. Very frustrating bug.

I always have my TC do the Online Check-In