Midsummer's Eve - Stockholm

We'll be sailing into Stockholm to end cruise on Saturday June 22 and plan to spend a few nights there after the cruise. What can we expect with Midsummer Eve celebrations - museum closings, festivities etc? From my searches on the internet the closest weekend to the Solstice seemed to be the big days for events and celebration.

Which year???

in 2014 Midsummer Eve is Friday 20/06/2014, public holiday - and always a Friday - arriving Saturday should not cause any problems. But when is Saturday at June 22?

Whoopsie - it's the 21st.

Take it from your response that most things should be open on Saturday. Friday will be the big day.

Any events that might interest us going on during the holiday weekend?

Edited by buggins0402

Whoopsie - it's the 21st.

Take it from your response that most things should be open on Saturday. Friday will be the big day.

Any events that might interest us going on during the holiday weekend?

Museum wise some are open and some are not. The same goes for stores and shops and etc.

As hallasm Midsummers eve is the big day but I think there might be some festivities on Saturday as well.

Skansen will probably have some on Saturday as well. Other then that I don't know. Its a bit too far away yet to know.

I don't know if it is needed but at least for Midsummers eve you might have to buy tickets in advance for Skansen.

http://www.visitsweden.com/sweden/Things-to-do/Swedish-Lifestyle/Swedish-traditions/Midsummer/

http://www.skansen.se/en/artikel/annual-festivities

http://www.insightguides.com/inspire-me/blog/midsummer-festival-in-stockholm

Edited by Desdichado62

So it looks like there might be some events in Stockholm that we might enjoy and most things will be open - good.

Actually, just reviewed itinerary (just booked yesterday so it wasn't registering) Helsinki is our port on the actual holiday - Friday 20.

What can we expect? Will it be like trying to see something on Christmas Day in a major city, with deserted streets? Or will there be some fun outdoor events connected with the celebration?

So it looks like there might be some events in Stockholm that we might enjoy and most things will be open - good.

Actually, just reviewed itinerary (just booked yesterday so it wasn't registering) Helsinki is our port on the actual holiday - Friday 20.

What can we expect? Will it be like trying to see something on Christmas Day in a major city, with deserted streets? Or will there be some fun outdoor events connected with the celebration?

It seems cities are quite empty but with some activities going on.

Sirpu (spelling?) and Ultima Thule could probably give you a more detailed answer then me.

http://www.visitfinland.com/article/midsummer-go-peaceful-or-go-party/

http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/whats-on/events-in-helsinki/seurasaari-midsummer-bonfires

http://www.dlc.fi/~marianna/gourmet/season5a.htm

Edited by Desdichado62

This is something I have thought about now and then, what will a cruise passenger think has happened if they arrive during midsummer? The city is empty, very few people, very few cars, most places closed. The thing about midsummer is that we try leave the city to celebrate somewhere in the country. I once had to stay until Friday morning and it was very strange to see Stockholm so empty.

Friday is not officially a holiday, but most of the celebrations take place on Friday, and most of us who live in Stockholm start leaving the city already at lunchtime on Thursday. But it is actually Saturday that is the real Midsummer Day. Expect a lot of things to be closed all weekend. But Vasa Museum and Skansen outdoor museum will both be open on Saturday and Sunday. There will be public transport but at a reduced schedule. I guess there will also be sightseeing buses and boats that will be available during Midsummer.

I would recommend a visit to Skansen to experience some real Midsummer celebrations, there will be celebrations on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Wheather would always be an issue since most of the celebrations will be outdoors, but in my mind it would be best to visit on Saturday rather than Sunday. Skansen is a place with a lot of things to do, with good weather it is easy to spend most of the day there.

I have no idea how Midsummer is celebrated on Friday in Helsinki, someone who lives there should be able to tell you about it.

Re: Swedish Midsummer

Thanks for the tips on Skansen. That looks like a must do - given the time of year. As for the rest of the city --- well there probably won't be many crowds at what is open! I had also been worried that hotel prices might be higher - sounds like the opposite would be the case. I'll have to give thought on whether to add a third night in Stockholm, also.

Helsinki looks like it might be a challenge, given the links Desdichado posted. Found the Finnish board on Tripadvisor really helpful on a previous trip to Moscow (35 minute connection in Helsinki issue). I'll probably see what they come up with for ideas to make the day special.

Re: Swedish Midsummer

Thanks for the tips on Skansen. That looks like a must do - given the time of year. As for the rest of the city --- well there probably won't be many crowds at what is open! I had also been worried that hotel prices might be higher - sounds like the opposite would be the case. I'll have to give thought on whether to add a third night in Stockholm, also.

Even if we have left the city there may still be crowds at some tourist attractions lika the Vasa Museum and Skansen. I know that the Midsummer celebrations at Skansen are extremely popular and as Desdichado has mentioned it may be wise to book your tickets in advance.

Thanks, I'll be sure to research getting tickets to Skansen as the trip gets closer.

Found a blog that was written for tourists in Stockholm for Midsummer weekend 2013. Looks like there will be plenty to do, however there might be less choice for restaurants. Don't think we'll need the extra Monday (well, it would be nice - one could easily spend a week in Stockholm - but would rather not take more time off work). And we'll have plenty of daylight time to check out the city!:)

http://stockholmtourist.blogspot.se/2013/06/midsummer-weekend-2013.html

Actually, think Helsinki with just a port stop on Friday will be the bigger issue.

• 1 month later...
Stores etc. will be up until noon. After that most things will be closed.

Thanks Ultima,

My understanding is that there are Midsummer celebrations on Seurasaari in the evening. Someone on Tripadvisor shared a link to last year's agenda - but it was unclear when festivities started - and they thought nothing would start before 6. If there is even a chance of catching some earlier scheduled events (I'm hoping something will be scheduled starting in the early afternoon) we'd make the effort to get there (maypole raising, lumberjack stuff). We have plenty of time to figure this out - will wait to get through the winter holidays and see what Helsinki might plan for the people stuck in town for the summer holiday.

My initial thought was to check out the sites downtown - then go to Market Square (which I found on old Tripadvisor thread was open until 3pm on Midsummer's Eve). If there are "happenings" on Seurasaari we'd go there at shortly after midday - if not, stay with strolling downtown and then take a ferry to Soumenlinna to end the port day.

Does that sound like a semi-plan to a Finn who understands the implications of port visits?

I do have the Rick Steve's Northern Ports guide on my Christmas list. When I read Helsinki, to determine the day's itinerary, I'll definitely keep in mind the implications of being in the city which is basically closed down for a holiday.

Edited by buggins0402

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sad to hear Your Helsinki day is in midsummer eve. Nobody should bring tourist to Helsinki that weekend :(.

No matter what the weather is (and You never know what it is :D), we Finns like to spend the midsummer enjoying the outdoors on our (or somebody elses) summer cottages. Most people living in Helsinki, are originally from countryside, or at least their parents have a rural background. In midsummer they mostly return to their home counties and parental homes, leaving urbanites to enjoy the peace and quiet of the capital city, which turns almost into a ghost town.

Anyway, Midsummer in empty Helsinki is an excotic experience that You probably remenber long time. Enjoy it. I hope the weather is warm and sunny in Helsinki (and in the countryside, where I am celebrating the nightless nigh with mosquitos and flys :D)

I'm sad to hear Your Helsinki day is in midsummer eve. Nobody should bring tourist to Helsinki that weekend :(.

No matter what the weather is (and You never know what it is :D), we Finns like to spend the midsummer enjoying the outdoors on our (or somebody elses) summer cottages. Most people living in Helsinki, are originally from countryside, or at least their parents have a rural background. In midsummer they mostly return to their home counties and parental homes, leaving urbanites to enjoy the peace and quiet of the capital city, which turns almost into a ghost town.

Anyway, Midsummer in empty Helsinki is an excotic experience that You probably remenber long time. Enjoy it. I hope the weather is warm and sunny in Helsinki (and in the countryside, where I am celebrating the nightless nigh with mosquitos and flys :D)

Well, Santa was nice and I received my Rick Steve's Northern Ports guide.

It seems like three of the major sites are churches - Church of the Rock, Lutheran Cathedral and Orthodox Cathedral. Since they are churches they'll probably be open on Midsummer's Eve - or have I assumed wrong? Sibelius Monument, Senate Square and the Botanical Gardens are always open for viewing - since they're outside. So.... as long as Market Square is open for a time in the morning, things should work out ok. Soumenlinna Fortress will just have to be viewed from outside and for the natural beauty of the area, I guess (since everything there will be closed).

Plague Park shops will probably be closed all day - correct?

Edited by buggins0402

Well, Santa was nice and I received my Rick Steve's Northern Ports guide.

It seems like three of the major sites are churches - Church of the Rock, Lutheran Cathedral and Orthodox Cathedral. Since they are churches they'll probably be open on Midsummer's Eve - or have I assumed wrong? Sibelius Monument, Senate Square and the Botanical Gardens are always open for viewing - since they're outside. So.... as long as Market Square is open for a time in the morning, things should work out ok. Soumenlinna Fortress will just have to be viewed from outside and for the natural beauty of the area, I guess (since everything there will be closed).

Plague Park shops will probably be closed all day - correct?

Yes, here in Helsinki is many beautiful places outside. In the market place You can taste Finnish strawberrys, which are the best in the world. And the most expensive too, because that time those are the first strawberrys of summer. But in midsummer we'll buy them, no matter what they cost, even if we could get Sweedish ones half price :D

The small shops on Bulevardi-street near Plague Park are probably open 9-12, bur some might be closed. Bulevardi is very nice street to walk.

Here are ome links to You. Maybe You'll find the opening hours later. Now most of them have opening times only winter season.

http://www.helsinginkirkot.fi/en

http://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/visitors_guide/opening_hours_and_prices

http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/shopping-in-helsinki/market-square

http://www.seurasaarisaatio.fi/homepage/

Thanks Nami - the links are great! Are the Plague area shops the same thing as the Design area referred to in the Visit Helsinki site?

Yes, I think they are part of Design distric. Plague park is named on the map "Vanha kirkkopuisto". That means old church park.

http://www.designdistrict.fi/map

Edited by Nami

I imagine that public transportation is on a holiday or weekend schedule on Midsummer's Eve. Given that and the fact that there will be at least two cruise ships in port (last time I checked) are taxi cabs typically plentiful on the holiday? Are there any taxi companies that you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your time and input.

This is a portion of what HSL HRT posted regarding public transportation for last year's Midsummer's Eve.

On Midsummer Eve, Friday 21 June, a Saturday service will operate. ... Also bus 24 will be running to Seurasaari; the bus will operate a normal Saturday service. ...On Midsummer Eve, U line buses will operate a Saturday service until 1pm, after which only some of the U line buses will run.

My question is, what are the U line buses--is Bus 14 part of that line?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

My question is, what are the U line buses--is Bus 14 part of that line?

U-line busses are named by letter U, for example U346. Those routes extend outside the Helsinki regional zone, but You can use zone-tickets.

Edited by Nami