Bay of Islands, New Zealand - Waitangi Treaty Grounds

Jade13

Does anyone know how far the Waitangi Treaty Grounds are from where Celebrity Solstice tenders?

We are trying to find out if there is a way to combine a cruise around the Islands and through the hole in the rock with a visit to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, which are UNESCO.

Its only a 2 minute walk.

The tenders will arrive at the carpark of the Waitangi Hotel which borders the Treaty Grounds.

There are 3 landing spots in the Bay of Islands for cruise ship tenders, Russell, Paihia and Waitangi. Of late all tenders have been using Waitangi .

If bring up a google map for Watangi , you can see the Hotel, Car Park and Treaty Grounds.

Does anyone know how far the Waitangi Treaty Grounds are from where Celebrity Solstice tenders?

We are trying to find out if there is a way to combine a cruise around the Islands and through the hole in the rock with a visit to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, which are UNESCO.

We also tendered to Waitangi. To add to Kiwi Kruzer's advice. If you decide to do both it is usually better to plan your Hole in the Rock cruise for the morning - a better chance of close up cruising around and even through the Rock at this time. The wind was picking up by the time we got back to the ship. We did the ship's tour which had the advantage of direct pick up from the ship saving the tender trip ashore. We were back in time for an afternoon trip over to the Treaty Grounds. There is a shuttle bus bus from the wharf but it does a 15 minuit round trip including Pahia. Check which was the bus is doing the circuit. Most people when we were there walked to the treaty grounds and caught the shuttle back, being a little walked out by then.

This is great to know cim66 and Kiwi Kruzer.

Now to figure out the cruise portion. Celebrity is offering this 4 hour adventure (it also stops at an Island) for $165.00 per person. We will do a cruise line tour if there is no other way to do the excursion (example, Tranz Alpine), but this price sounds really inflated.

The only other issue to consider is tendering off of a ship as large as Solstice, which we have never done before.

I actually just emailed Celebrity ShoreX (who gave me great details about the Tranz Alpine tour options) and asked if they picked up direct from the ship at Bay of Islands, which you just answered (and actually asked them how far it was to the treaty grounds because they could not sell us the two tours at the same time). Will have to think some more about this day.

We also tendered to Waitangi. To add to Kiwi Kruzer's advice. If you decide to do both it is usually better to plan your Hole in the Rock cruise for the morning - a better chance of close up cruising around and even through the Rock at this time. The wind was picking up by the time we got back to the ship. We did the ship's tour which had the advantage of direct pick up from the ship saving the tender trip ashore. We were back in time for an afternoon trip over to the Treaty Grounds. There is a shuttle bus bus from the wharf but it does a 15 minuit round trip including Pahia. Check which was the bus is doing the circuit. Most people when we were there walked to the treaty grounds and caught the shuttle back, being a little walked out by then.

This is great to know cim66 and Kiwi Kruzer.

Now to figure out the cruise portion. Celebrity is offering this 4 hour adventure (it also stops at an Island) for $165.00 per person. We will do a cruise line tour if there is no other way to do the excursion (example, Tranz Alpine), but this price sounds really inflated.

Our Princess Tour cost about $100 pp. Currently on the web for $109. Before booking we checked out the web for independent tours which were about $90 pp and involved getting to Pahia by 9 am for a morning cruise. We decided this was too chancy without priority tendering and the price diference was not great. You may also find if you check out the independent tour web sites that the ship has booked out the morning cruise exclusively. There were afternoon cruises leaving about 1.30 from Pahia.

The only other issue to consider is tendering off of a ship as large as Solstice, which we have never done before.

It will be busy in the morning and unless you are entitled to priority tendering you are better taking a ships tour for a morning excursion with a set starting time before 10 am, depending on when and where you anchor of course. The weather and water conditions in the Bay can be stunning and calm but can also blow up into choppy seas fairly quickly.

I actually just emailed Celebrity ShoreX (who gave me great details about the Tranz Alpine tour options) and asked if they picked up direct from the ship at Bay of Islands, which you just answered (and actually asked them how far it was to the treaty grounds because they could not sell us the two tours at the same time). Will have to think some more about this day.

It probably would not be possible to do two half day ship's tours on the same day - time spent in gathering Pax together, scenic touring on the way etc. We did a DIY tour to the treaty grounds in the afternoon using information from the web. The price difference as quoted from Solstice for the Bay cruise does seem a bit OTT but perhaps my information on current prices is out of date - from late 2011.

Enjoy your research! I hope you have good weather at the Bay. This was what we found on our 2012 cruise. We took the shuttle to Pahia and had lunch - we were glad we had splurged on the Bay cruise the year before.

103-1.jpg

We did a DIY tour to the treaty grounds in the afternoon using information from the web. The price difference as quoted from Solstice for the Bay cruise does seem a bit OTT but perhaps my information on current prices is out of date - from late 2011.

Enjoy your research! I hope you have good weather at the Bay. This was what we found on our 2012 cruise. We took the shuttle to Pahia and had lunch - we were glad we had splurged on the Bay cruise the year before.

103-1.jpg

Well that was my issue, the $165.00 but I will check one what else (if anything) is included.

Maybe pick-up from the ship is dependent on weather conditions? I called Celebrity ShoreX and they said they pick up at the pier. Who do they use for the boat company? Is it GreatSights? I emailed GreatSights to confirm availability next year (NZ$99.00) but haven't heard back. I wouldn't want to book and then find out they are being used by the ship and we are canceled. I heard many of the Celebrity ShoreX sell out quickly on this cruise.

How long is the stop on the Island, and what is there?

Urupukapuka Island is the one we stopped at. The island has excellent beaches and walking trails. However the stop is very short on the cruise. a walk on the small beach and a bit of a paddle for the children and a snack or drink at the cafe is about all there is time for. I did visit the Bird Conservation hut off to the right, where there were bird cards and other items of interest to twitchers. The conservation work is aimed at removing feral animals from the various islands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Urupukapuka Island is the one we stopped at. The island has excellent beaches and walking trails. However the stop is very short on the cruise. a walk on the small beach and a bit of a paddle for the children and a snack or drink at the cafe is about all there is time for. I did visit the Bird Conservation hut off to the right, where there were bird cards and other items of interest to twitchers. The conservation work is aimed at removing feral animals from the various islands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do you remember what company the cruise line used? Was it GreatSights? I could find two on line (the other might be called Dolphin Cruises and has yellow boats). We are going to book with the ship, but continue to look at options. According to Celebrity we need to meet at the tender pier, and according to GreatSights who we contacted directly it might be hard to make their boat as we need to be there at 9:00am and there are no refunds if we do not make it. Princess is charging a whole lot less than Celebrity for this 4 hour excursion.

Hi Jade. I too am planning for NZ cruise but on a small excursion ship not a biggie. North Island we are probably doing by self drive.

From my research, I think the Hole in the Rock boat is about $95 pp. There is also the Cream (or milk) boat tour but that might be too long. You have to get to the boat (and back). Also if big ship is in port sometimes the attractions are booked up not only by ship but by local tour operations -- walkins are out of luck. Probably already too late to prebook in those situations (Been there done that too many times). Considering how much you pay to get there (and how important that site is to you) decide if the shore excursion is really that expensive. My DH and I argue this all the time with me wanting to save a few bucks and he wanting to make sure we see something. It gives us something to do in planning stages -- very good negotiators.

Look up some luxury bus tours and see what they are doing at the places you stop -- gives you an idea of the best on offer. Keep asking questions I am really learning from the answers.;)

Hi Jade. I too am planning for NZ cruise but on a small excursion ship not a biggie. North Island we are probably doing by self drive.

From my research, I think the Hole in the Rock boat is about $95 pp. There is also the Cream (or milk) boat tour but that might be too long. You have to get to the boat (and back). Also if big ship is in port sometimes the attractions are booked up not only by ship but by local tour operations -- walkins are out of luck. Probably already too late to prebook in those situations (Been there done that too many times). Considering how much you pay to get there (and how important that site is to you) decide if the shore excursion is really that expensive. My DH and I argue this all the time with me wanting to save a few bucks and he wanting to make sure we see something. It gives us something to do in planning stages -- very good negotiators.

Look up some luxury bus tours and see what they are doing at the places you stop -- gives you an idea of the best on offer. Keep asking questions I am really learning from the answers.;)

Thanks.

We actually booked through the ship. Just think they are overpriced at $165.00 USD when booked direct is NZ $95.00.

I emailed GreatSights as one independant option, and they didn't confirm or deny that they are used by the cruiseline.

This is what they said,

"We have several vessels in out fleet and so charters do not disrupt the operation of this trip.

Our cancellation policy is as follows:

1. Cancellations must be received by Fullers GreatSights Bay of Islands no later than 6pm on the day prior to the cruise or tour departure. Passengers who have not cancelled will be considered "no shows" and no refunds are available."

Archived