Day hotel in Auckland?

My husband and I wil be debarking from a 12 -day Aus/NZ cruise in Auckland in November in the morning. Our flight does not leave until 11PM. In deciding what to do with our luggage, spending some time sightseeing, and saving some energy before a 15 hour flight to LA we are considering getting a hotel room for the day near the CBD. Has anyone done this and have any suggestions for us? We are thinking of sightseeing and lunch until late afternoon and then maybe napping until time to go to the airport.

If your budget will allow it, then would suggest the Hilton Hotel.

Location is where the ship docks, so you can just "roll off" with your luggage and check in.

The CBD is also there and a short stroll to the Viaduct marina and the Sky Tower. You could cross over to the other side of the harbour to Devonport or take a longer ferry (35 minutes) to Waiheke Island for a vinyard and beach tour.

If the Hilton is above your budget use a search engine like booking.com or venere for something close by in the same area or upper Queen Street.

The Hilton would be an excellent choice. I don't think they have a "day rate" published on their web site. So you need to call the "Sales Department" or the front desk at the actual hotel and ask for a day rate. Call them during their weekday business hours so that you can talk to someone authorized to make a deal. The US 800 number will be useless for this purpose.

A day rate should be half the overnight rate. Many hotels offer day rates because it allows them to book the same room twice in one day. Also ask for early check in. At a minimum, they will be able to store your luggage when you get off the ship.

Will you be on the Celebrity Solstice by chance? We are boarding Solstice on Nov 16 for the Auckland to Sydney cruise.

It would only be worthwhile if you booked a hotel within walking distance of the dock....

all the sightseeing would then be at hand.

My picks ,in order would be....

Hilton,

Copthorne Harbour City,

Mercure ,

Grand Chancellor Auckland City.

Many thanks for your suggestions...seems that we have multiple choices. Mercuiser, yes, we will be getting off The Solstice so they can get everything ready for your boarding. Smooth sailing and sunny skies to us all!

We've stayed at the Rydges Auckland after both of our Aus/NZ cruises. Nice rooms, great staff and only a block from the Skytower. I think for a "superior king" room we only paid about $110 per night in Feb 2013.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Many thanks for your suggestions...seems that we have multiple choices. Mercuiser, yes, we will be getting off The Solstice so they can get everything ready for your boarding. Smooth sailing and sunny skies to us all!

Same for us, Holly. And thanks for anticipating my question! :) We are 4 and leave Auckland at 18:00 back to SYD on the 16th and wondered how to handle our luggage during the day so we could go out and see the city. Question to you Kiwi's; if we book a day room at the Hilton, what would you recommend we go see in Auckland from say 10:00 AM to 3 PM before heading to the airport?

Archived