Appropriate clothing

Balloon Man

About to enjoy (I hope) our first Star Flyer cruise. We normally sail on rather large vessels with formal nights and all sorts of palaver that requires us to take three enormous suitcases (one for my wife's shoes).

The only jacket I plan to take for this cruise (in the Mediterranean) is a blazer that I will wear on the plane. Should I take a tie, or long sleeve shirts for evenings? My wife will pack one (or maybe two) smart frocks and probably not so many shoes this time.

What do we need during the day? Especially in terms of footwear. I read somewhere that you need to change your shoes after exiting the tender if you don't want to squelch around all day. And maybe your shorts! :o

Advice please.

Edited by Balloon Man

About to enjoy (I hope) our first Star Flyer cruise. We normally sail on rather large vessels with formal nights and all sorts of palaver that requires us to take three enormous suitcases (one for my wife's shoes).

The only jacket I plan to take for this cruise (in the Mediterranean) is a blazer that I will wear on the plane. Should I take a tie, or long sleeve shirts for evenings? My wife will pack one (or maybe two) smart frocks and probably not so many shoes this time.

What do we need during the day? Especially in terms of footwear. I read somewhere that you need to change your shoes after exiting the tender if you don't want to squelch around all day. And maybe your shorts! :o

Advice please.

Relax! This is a much different kind of cruise.

Ties are not needed at all. Your blazer will not be needed on board (the only men I have ever seen wearing one were British :) and that was at the Captain's dinner). Long sleeve shirts are sometimes seen but, again, not needed and might be a bit warm on this cruise. During the day attire is very casual - shorts, t-shirts and sandals or swimwear are most common. People are often barefooted on deck. Women tend to also be casually dressy for dinner-cotton sun dresses are common as are slacks with a light blouse. My wife takes perhaps three pairs of shoes - flats for dinner, walking shoes for touring and tevas or similar sandals for the beach.

The tenders normally tie up a pier just like other cruise ships so wet shoes are not an issue. If they do make a beach landing you may get a bit wet but the purpose of these landings is to visit a beach so shoes are not even needed.

Enjoy!

I tend to wear a blazer when traveling and have found it useful both onboard and when dining out off the ship - not to mention the utility of having a bit dressier wardrobe component for pre/post-cruise needs. You won't feel out of place aboard the clippers wearing a jacket but you certainly are not required to do so.

I would suggest a good pair of walking shoes - especially in the Mediterranean and especially if you are planning on walking and touring by foot.

I haven't had problems - clothing or otherwise regarding the tendering operations. Sometimes the waves can cause the evolution to be a little sporty but that's all a part of it. You do go "feet wet" at White Bay on Jost Van Dyke - but that's in a different part of the world.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

. . . and shorts aboard ship for daytime wear along with casual shirts such as polos or tees. You don't tend to see very many aloha shirts on the Mediterranean itineraries. Key word is still "casual".

We would also tend to wear shorts and whatnot for daytime wear ashore - unless there was an appropriateness issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I no longer take a jacket but I still take a tie (takes very little room in the suitcase) just in case we are invited to the Captain's Table on the Captain's dinner night (pleased to say that has happened!- and accepted!). A tie is not required when accepting such an invite but I wear mine as a respectful acknowledgment that the Captain attends in his Whites. About eight or nine passengers are usually so invited. When we go on the Royal Clipper out of Barbados I have a second reason for taking my tie - we also have a stay in a hotel in Barbados pre (and sometimes post) cruise. Quite a few people get married in the Hotels in Barbados (and on some of the other Caribbean Islands) and if we are fortunate enough to be asked to be a witness at such a wedding (we have got lucky and it has happened three times over the years) a tie and a nice shirt usually work well (but no jacket).

What everyone said above!

It is a very casual experience on Star Clippers. Daytime is very informal and at night there are no shorts in the dining room. That being stated, MOST of the passengers still are more dressy-casual, with men in collared shirts and women in dresses.

Captain's night is a touch more elegant, but not "tux & gown" dressy. ;)

Just returned from Star Flyer last Sat 19 July. Dress code is very casual, no need at all for jackets or ties - indeed, if you wore one you would look overdressed. In cabin guide merely stated that casual or sports gear was the norm but "recommended" that men wear long trousers and a shirt with sleeves and a collar at dinner. As regards the latter, you would probably be OK with a conventional tee shirt but not with a singlet or "muscle vest".

Edited by Denarius

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a little confused, having received our Star Clippers info prior to our cruise. Everyone on here says that shorts are the norm for daytime, but the information booklet says that shorts cannot be worn in the dining room. Does this mean that breakfast and lunch are served elsewhere? Or must we get changed to have breakfast and lunch? (I accept that shorts won't be suitable evening wear.)

No no! You may wear shorts to breakfast and to lunch. There is only one Dining room. For dinner please - casual elegant. No Shorts or tees. I did see someone with bemuda Shorts and Long socks at dinner once. But that was at the beginning of the cruise. He put that back in the suitcase.

Edited by muskatnuss

But no bare feet in the dining room for breakfast or lunch. My husband walked into Star Flyer's dining room last Nov for lunch buffet, in shorts, tee shirt....and barefooted. Maitre'd comes over and quietly asks: "Is there something wrong with your feet, sir?" No, my husband says. "Then put shoes on them, sir," he says, also quite discreetly and walks away.