Shuttle Service

acpcruiser3

We are looking at taking Amtrak to NYC anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on a shuttle service for 4 people with about 10 suitcases. we would need to get picked up at Penn station and dropped off at the Doubletree Jersey City then the next day to the port where we will board the Breakaway then the same return pick up. We usually go by bus but wanted to try something different.

That's a lot of luggage among 4 persons for a typical 7 days itinerary on the Breakaway sailing mostly into warm weather :eek: - doing a B2B ?? or one of those 14 days ??

Savings & deals at the Doubletree in JC are going to be "bitten" by shuttle costs for 10 suitcases and 4 people - you will probably need to call Dial7 or Carmel car service to speak with them over the phone for a price quote with your specific travel dates.

From experience, you will likely need a minivan and a full size sedan, more likely they might insist on 2 minivans - or possibly one full size van. Very rough ballpark figure on costs - $250 and up for 2 vehicles, perhaps a little less with a full size van - eastbound tunnel toll is $15 alone.

Consider packing smartly traveling with less, get the laundry special done onboard the ship @ $20 per bag, stuffed as much as you can full for a flat rate - washed & folded. Well, I'm sure you knew all that already ;)

Any alternate hotels on the NY side ? Or, maybe I'm overlooking the obvious ?? to drag all those big bags from the train platforms up to street level for surface transportation, go across the Hudson River & then reverse it the following morning for embarkation on NY side ? Using points or certificates for free overnight lodging ??

Edited by mking8288

Let's clarify what you're doing.

1) Arriving New York Penn Station and going to Jersey City

2) Jersey City to Manhattan cruise port

3) Manhattan cruise port to ???

You need to book a car service like Dial 7 or Carmellimo to go between NY and NJ. Do not take a cab. Do not do Supershuttle

Where are you coming from on Amtrak? Newark Penn Station is better for Jersey City. Car service transportation to the Doubletree will be less expensive.

That's a lot of luggage among 4 persons for a typical 7 days itinerary on the Breakaway sailing mostly into warm weather :eek: - doing a B2B ?? or one of those 14 days ??

Savings & deals at the Doubletree in JC are going to be "bitten" by shuttle costs for 10 suitcases and 4 people - you will probably need to call Dial7 or Carmel car service to speak with them over the phone for a price quote with your specific travel dates.

I agree - You are going to spend a small fortune to haul all that stuff around.

Where are you coming from? Would a one way minivan car rental with an overnight outside of NYC and a car drop off near the pier do it?

Carol/138east - no kidding. And, I was thinking of Amtrak to Newark Penn Station, but taxi/car service fares are, still, kind of being on the high side as well, for 1 segment only & still going to cost same $$$ to return to Manhattan on morning of.

Just a quick price quote for OP's reference, not a pretty one - from Carmel, which we use all the time (based on 2 pax & 5 pc. of luggage - so that one can see the charges for using 2 mini-vans vs. just 1 full-size van that can take 4 pax & 10 pc. of luggage) each-way.

$65 from NY Penn to/from DoubleTree @JC + tipping ($13) + possible/toll charge for tunnel ($15) @ $93 x 2 minivans, for a total of $186 each direction or almost $380 round trip, for 4 people & 10 pc. of luggage.

$188 for a large van + tipping ($38) + possible/toll charge for $15, for a total of $241 each way/direction - 1 vehicle only as all 4 will travel together, some of the bags likely will go inside the pax compartment. Round trip cost about $480.

With online coupons, can probably save $15 to $20 in total ;)

But ... this is absolutely madness to spend that kind of money for "shuttle" services as part of an out-of-town hotel stay for a cruise. One can easily pay for a luxury hotel room (or 2, maybe even a 4 stars suite) in NYC right near the Penn Station to store all those luggage ... or, even take them over to store at Schwartz Luggage (about 3 blocks north of Penn Station) overnight, for much less.

Let's see if OP can share more details to brainstorm this - prices for Dial7 will be slightly higher.

Edited by mking8288

Why would you take the train to Penn Station NYC instead of Penn Station NJ (the next stop) if you are staying in NJ?

I think the OP is coming from upstate NY so a transfer with the 10 pieces of luggage would be required at NY Penn. when I came from Boston my train stopped at Newark.

we are coming from upstate NY and were doing a 14 day cruise on Breakaway.

Maybe 10 was a little over kill, I think we will have 8.

They would be on the Amtrak Empire service which would require a change of trains and platforms to get to any Amtrak train south or even NJ Transit. While there is Redcap or baggage porters at NYC Penn Station, they won't wait with you for your layover >G<

Using the online system for Carmel or Dial 7 putting in 10 bags and only four people will force a min-van or even 12 passenger van.

Are you counting "carry on" size bags as luggage? you should only count large size type luggage. Also did you call them and see if you could get a better price from a human?

FWIW

we are coming from upstate NY and were doing a 14 day cruise on Breakaway.

Maybe 10 was a little over kill, I think we will have 8.

So why are you staying overnight in Jersey City to sail from Manhattan?

If you are taking the train into Manhattan and leaving on a cruise from Manhattan, it makes NO SENSE to travel to Jersey City to stay in a hotel. Stay in a Manhattan hotel. One site I like for comparing hotels is booking.com.

If you are taking the train into Manhattan and leaving on a cruise from Manhattan, it makes NO SENSE to travel to Jersey City to stay in a hotel. Stay in a Manhattan hotel. One site I like for comparing hotels is booking.com.

Ditto to that for a one night stay! It would be worth it only for multiple nights because the transportation costs for you and all your stuff will eat up any savings.

What exact date do you need a hotel room?