Fees in Aus/NZ

floralscent

In my search for a hotel in Sydney I have noticed the fine print says there is a 1.5% charge for using a credit card? Is this charge only if you reserve directly with the hotel? I am considering using a popular online hotel site to reserve and would be paying online...am I still charged the fee?

As far as air, what is a departure fee? We are flying AirNZ and arriving in SYD but departing AKL. Do I need to pay this fee even if taxes were paid online? If so, how much is the fee?

I don't mind paying...just don't like surprises. Thank you-

I can't answer about the departure fee, but as far as I have seen the hotel fee is no matter what booking service you use. If you use a pre-paid reservation service, the credit card fee charged then. If you reserve and then pay at the hotel upon check-in/out the fee is charged there.

As far as air, what is a departure fee? We are flying AirNZ and arriving in SYD but departing AKL. Do I need to pay this fee even if taxes were paid online?
No, you no longer need to pay a departure tax at AKL airport. This used to be how it was done here (and may still be the case at other NZ airports) but AKL has switched to the more conventional system of collecting it through the airline, which charges you when you buy and pay for your air ticket.

In my search for a hotel in Sydney I have noticed the fine print says there is a 1.5% charge for using a credit card? Is this charge only if you reserve directly with the hotel? I am considering using a popular online hotel site to reserve and would be paying online...am I still charged the fee?

You'd have to check the site, possibly going through to booking.

I know of some sites which don't charge fees (assuming you pay upfront - if you pay at the end you will always pay the fee). However, some sites do also add their own fees.

In Australia it is illegal for any hidden charges to be included in any prices, so most retailers declare the extra % age that has to be paid if purchasing by credit card in Australia .

As far as air, what is a departure fee? We are flying AirNZ and arriving in SYD but departing AKL. Do I need to pay this fee even if taxes were paid online? If so, how much is the fee?

Departure taxes at Airports worldwide are very common . Most airlines include them in the air fare total cost . Auckland - Melbourne is an International flight and the departure tax ex New Zealand has aways been included in the fare .

If you use AMEX that's 3% or 3.5% - one of them

Edited by dizzy1948

Still confused. If I reserve a hotel in Sydney with a popular travel site from the US and pay with a credit card online, do I still owe the hotel a fee for paying with a credit card? I would think not but I've been wrong before. :)

I paid many different taxes with AirNZ but have read a few articles that mention departure taxes...the articles were not dated. Guess I could phone the airline.

Still confused. If I reserve a hotel in Sydney with a popular travel site from the US and pay with a credit card online, do I still owe the hotel a fee for paying with a credit card? I would think not but I've been wrong before. :)

No, no difference from what you're used to.

Whoever you pay by credit card will be the one charging the fee, or not.

I paid many different taxes with AirNZ but have read a few articles that mention departure taxes...the articles were not dated. Guess I could phone the airline.

You will pay the fee regardless. In fact, anything you charge on your credit card includes the fee. (Walmart purchases on CC have a fee)

The difference?

United States--fee is hidden in the price you pay to the merchant.

Other countries (Aust., UK, etc) --fee is itemized for you to see.

Cash will avoid the fee.

Departure taxes at Airports worldwide are very common . Most airlines include them in the air fare total cost . Auckland - Melbourne is an International flight and the departure tax ex New Zealand has aways been included in the fare.
I paid many different taxes with AirNZ but have read a few articles that mention departure taxes...the articles were not dated.
I'm sure that kuldalai didn't literally mean "always". As I'd said above, it used to be the case that when you departed from Auckland, you had to pay a departure tax in cash at the airport. That's probably what those articles refer to.

The system in Auckland changed in about 2008 or 2009 (as far as I can recall) to the current system where the departure tax is collected on the ticket, so once you've paid the airline that will be it and there's nothing more to pay at the airport.

The old system continued at my other usual NZ departure airport, Wellington, so it's possible that the articles refer to that (or another) airport instead. The system in Wellington didn't change until April 2012, and I've heard it said that the old system has now been abolished at all NZ airports.