credit card insurance

shankill

I wonder how many of you do not purchase additional travel insurance and only rely on what your credit card offers as insurance when you purchase your trip through the credit card company? While I was booking our December cruise, our travel agent mentioned purchasing additional insurance, or "did we have travel insurance through our credit card?" We have always purchased additional insurance and now I am wondering if it's necessary. Thoughts? Thanks for your input!

I wonder how many of you do not purchase additional travel insurance and only rely on what your credit card offers as insurance when you purchase your trip through the credit card company? While I was booking our December cruise, our travel agent mentioned purchasing additional insurance, or "did we have travel insurance through our credit card?" We have always purchased additional insurance and now I am wondering if it's necessary. Thoughts? Thanks for your input!

Really depends on the coverage offered by the credit card and your needs.

I have a cruise line branded credit card that gives me 3 pts on charges with that cruise line, but the travel medical max coverage is $50,000, when I want $100k.

No medical evac. Medical Coverage is secondary, meaning you have to file with your own insurance company, get denied, and then they may pay you back.

:cool:

It also depends on where you live. Many cards issued by Canadian banks actually have lots of travel benefits including insurance not available from US-based banks. It's often a matter of the local insurance regulations. Since travel insurance is a product regulated by each state's department of insurance, in some states they allow the insurance to be included with the card's benefits and in others they won't.

• 2 weeks later...

We have Sapphire preferred card from Chase it gives you $10,000 per person trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage but no medical so we get that but it's not that expensive, my wife had a bad fall on Princess which required 58 stitches on her knee and was taken off the ship in Darwin Australia and hospitalized for 3 days, our credit card paid for 12 days of fare and the medical paid for ambulance and all hospital charges and ship medical charges and we received a $35,000 dollar settlement from Princess

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have a Citi Double Cash card that offers $3,000 coverage per person. For our recent Mississippi River cruise, we did not get extra insurance, since that would have almost covered our fares if we had to cancel. And of course our medical insurance would have covered us since we were in the USA. For a foreign trip, we would get medical and evacuation coverage.