Best Itinerary for Snorkeling

BarleyBear

DH's family wants to do a cruise in March. We are trying to decide between two itineraries. Which one is the best for snorkelling? We would also prefer snorkel from shore but will pay for boat tours.

Option 1:

Princess Cay

St. Maarten

St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands

Grand Turks, Turks and Caicos

Option 2:

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Basseterre, St. Kitts

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Thank you everyone for your opinion.

I would definately go with optopn 1. You'll have plenty of options for snorkeling in St.Thomas. Grand Turk also has some great snorkeling.

Not much snorkeling in St. Martin and no options for snorkeling in San Juan.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading a tonnnn of reviews on the best snorkeling in the carribean because I'm trying to plan a snorkeling/diving trip as well and all the reviews say st thomas is wayy better than caymen. Caymen is notorious for great snorkeling so those 2 combined in option 1 are sure to give you a great trip :)

Snitch, Grand Cayman was not one of the choices, it was Grand Turk. Cayman is a good place for snorkeling and I've heard the same for Turk. St Thomas is "ok". Best places I've snorkeled so far is Belize and Roatan (on the barrier reef). Going to Bonaire this winter and that is supposed to be a really nice snorkel/dive location. Time will tell.

But of the two itineraries, the first is better than the second

I would certainty go with option 1. Some of the best free snorkeling I have enjoyed has been at Coki Beach on St. Thomas and at the Off Shore Pavilion at Princess Cays. In both instances you want to get off the ship and beat the traffic as both venues can get busy after mid-morning. Grand Turk also has some great snorkeling, be sure to go out to the Wall....I have snorkeled with Blue Water Divers there and taken a Princess excursion and much preferred Blue Water's product. At Coki move to the right as you enter the water and swim toward Coral World. I have had no experience snorkeling on St. Maarten but have gone out the last 2 years at St. Kitts on a catamaran, in both cases it was a beautiful excursion but the snorkeling was very average, at best.

we have used Woodwind a couple times and love there service.excellent snorkling and they keep the amount of people to 16 or so. highly recommend them. they even have prescription masked if you were glasses. Excellent eqt. great catamaran and crew as well!