Munich layover enough time?

hsaroya

Hi, everyone. For those of you with experience at the Munich airport: my family of 4 (we have 2 mid teens) will be flying from Canada to Venice for an Aug cruise, via Iceland and Munich. Is a 1 and a half hour layover in Munich enough time to make a flight to Venice? The Munich-Venice leg is with a different airline.

Also, should for some reason we get delayed coming into Munich and miss the Venice flight, will the airline put us on another available flight, or charge us another full fare as the incoming late flight was not their own? Yes, I know...anticipating the worst case scenario!

Thanks

An hour and a half is a little tight but will be OK if there are no delays. If you can change it to allow more time that would be best.

As far as you getting put on another flight if you miss the connection that will depend on a few things including the type and class of ticket you have as well as whether or not the flight from Munich to Venice is part of your main ticket or a separate ticket.

If it's a separate ticket you would be out of luck but if it's part of the original ticket you'll be OK depending on availability of seats on that airline as well as other airlines (should the class of ticket allow that).

Probably a good idea to see what other connecting flights are available if you happen to miss yours and then call the airline to see what your options are based on your type of ticket.

Do be careful as you change terminals at Munich to follow the signs for transfers and not exits, so you don't leave the secure area and need to go through the physical check again. I know better but still managed to do this a couple of years ago because I was distracted, talking to my travel companion, and turned left when I should have turned right. We had plenty of time between flights so it didn't matter but it was aggravating that I'd done it to myself.

The Munich airport web site has maps of the terminals but, unfortunately, while they show you the gates they aren't numbered on the map so you can't really see where one flight lands and the other takes off to prepare yourself. Airport web site: http://www.munich-airport.de/en/consumer/index.jsp

Edited by euro cruiser

If there are any delays arriving at Munich, you might find that you make the connecting flight but your luggage doesn't. This happened to us once at a tight connection in Frankfurt - we were led away at high speed by an airport employee from the arrival gate to the departure gate; our luggage didn't make it. It caught up with us 2 days later.