Norwegian Breakaway Highlights - Photo intensive

xenagurl

The Mr. and I just got finished taking a awesome cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway. There were hundreds of highlights including seeing a lot of familiar faces from other ships. I'm going to note things based on categories, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

There will be a ton of photos and videos on my blog that I will post links to, in order to give a better idea of what's happening on the ship. If you're looking for detail Gambee is posting what I know is an awesome review with a lot of information.

One of the things that I look forward to most on a large cruise ship is the water slides. That’s the place where I get to let my inner child come out (along with available bars – juuuust kidding) and really have a ball. My only regret so far is that the place where I’ve had the change to enjoy it most was on the Norwegian Epic which my husband has not had the chance to enjoy. So when we both decided to spend the first day in Bermuda on the ship having fun on the water slides and ropes course instead of shore side it was one of the highlights of this cruise for me.

There are five water slides on the Norwegian Breakaway, out of the five, two sets of two mirror each other. The yellow and purple ones and the red and blue free fall set.

I’m just going to go into talking about the free fall slides. Before getting on them I noticed that there were these backpack type contraptions that are these soft foam boards you have to wear on you back. I simply didn’t know what they were used for. The attendant asked me if I wanted to go on the fast slide, and so of course I said “yes”. He proceeded to strap me in and told me to go to all the way to the top. I merrily walked up another 20 feet or so worth of steps, to see two men standing next to what turned out to be pods. I smiled at them all the wall ignoring the sign that said “free fall” and wondering just what kind of slide this was. I thought that perhaps the “pod” would sail through the tube.

It wasn’t until I stepped my first foot in that it hit me, — the floor was going to fall from under me and I was going to drop into what would feel like is the oblivion of nothingness, which of course was really the water slide. As the pod door closed around me and I leaned back with my arms crossed and thinking of the best way to maneuver my feet (flat against the back, a few inches up, toes pointing in…) the door slowly closed sealing me in and off all chances of “escape”. I gulped, remembered all of the good times I had in my relatively short life, and wondered how fast the medical team could revive me from cardiac arrest. Of course I’m being overly dramatic, but when the floor fell out from beneath me, I had the sudden urge to cry, laugh and scream all at the same time. I might have even accomplished it. My memory of the few seconds of swirling through the slide abyss now evade me. What I do remember is coming out into the water area below heart beating faster than an baby mouse on a treadmill and thinking “gee that was fun”… as hubby and I both walked up stairs to do it all over again.

What I call slides 3 and 4 and fun twisty ‘turny’ slides that come out about two levels below and the blue open top slide starts about 3 decks up and comes out near the pool area.

Note: All slides come out into a small water holding area with about 10 inches of water (just like the ones on the Epic) and not into a main pool. Which with my iffy swimming skills is just the way I like it.

Freefall Water slides (you have to try these!)

Norwegian-Breakaway-Waterslides-TravelXena-14.jpg

Norwegian-Breakaway-Waterslides-TravelXena-4.jpg

Norwegian-Breakaway-Water-Slides-TravelXena-52.jpg

Norwegian-Breakaway-Water-Slides-TravelXena-24.jpg

Ropes Course as seen from the slides

Norwegian-Breakaway-Ropes-Course-TravelXena.jpg

Norwegian-Breakaway-Waterslides-TravelXena-15.jpg

Great photos! It's good to know they make you wear that contraption - CEO Kevin S was wearing one when he went down the tube.

Thank you. It is good to know, especially after doing it. lol I could have stood someone standing at the bottom and giving out hugs after that ride! lol

As you are already aware, I'm a huge fan of your reviews. I'm loving this one already.

Can't wait for more:D

Awww thanks! That's nice of you. :D I just wish that I had all of the video up right now, but we're working on it!

Awww thanks! That's nice of you. :D I just wish that I had all of the video up right now, but we're working on it!

Goodness you are miles ahead of me after returning from a cruise. I'm usually exhausted for a good few days after it's over.

I'm looking forward to the videos.

Goodness you are miles ahead of me after returning from a cruise. I'm usually exhausted for a good few days after it's over.

I'm looking forward to the videos.

LOL I am, my pillow looks so comfy right now! I guess it helps me to relive it and stop crying about that fact that someone else is now in "our" stateroom. hahaha! :D

More water slide photos. Video is almost ready!

Menus, food and restau

rant photos and reviews coming up next!

If you're looking for more water slide photos I've added about 100 more on my blog.

Ropes-course-seen-from-Water-Park.jpg

Whip-Purple-Water-Slides-Norwegian-Breakaway-TravelXena-8.jpg

Norwegian-Breakaway-Waterslides-TravelXena-121.jpg

All 5 water slides

Norwegian-Breakaway-Waterslides-TravelXena.jpg

Edited by xenagurl

I wrote about a few of our experiences dining on the Norwegian Breakaway in places like Ocean Blu, Wasabi, O'Sheehans, the Captain's table and more. If you're interested in reading them all and see photos the link is here. If you're looking for snippets I'll post them here. :)

Dinner at the Manhattan room with Burn the Floor performing

For the majority of the trip we ate at specialty dining venues, simply because I enjoy trying out different tastes and flavors and there were a lot of fun places to eat and I wanted to have a varied atmosphere while dining. One evening we finally took the time to go to the Manhattan room at 5:30 before a crowd formed. We ordered our food and one of the pleasant servers came over and said “you’re going to stay for the show aren’t you?”. We asked what show and she told us Burn the Floor would be performing and that it was really good and worth watching; and so we stayed and are really glad we did. They were wonderful, energetic and really enjoy dancing.

Afterward we head up to the Latitudes cocktail party where we had a chance to see Marites Souza again! She’s such a sweetheart you’ll adore her within seconds of meeting her. She’s the executive housekeeper and does a great job in managing her very large staff, as our room was always very clean and tidy.

Dinner at Ocean Blu

The much awaited dinner at the highly touted Geoffrey Zakarian restaurant Ocean Blu.We made arrangements to eat there about a month and a half in advance of this sailing. We’re glad we did for two reasons in particular. This restaurant is often filled up and between the time we booked at the time we got on the ship the price went up from $35 per person to $49 per person. a 40% increase. However all bookings made at the original pricing we’re of course honored.

Now I won’t go into whether it’s worth the additional money or not because that really depends on what you value and how you value it. I will say that the food is very good and if the price ever goes back down to $35 per person or less we would go back. In the mean while I’d rather eat at Wasabi or the Raw Bar and pay ala carte pricing.

Note: I’ve photos of menus on my blog.

Sushi Rolls at Wasabi

Wasabi-Sushi-Rolls-Norwegian-Breakaway-TravelXena.jpg

Sunset while dining Al Fresco at Wasabi

Wasabi-Sunset-678-Waterfront-Norwegian-Breakaway-TravelXena-8.jpg

Yakitori Menu

Wasabi-Menu-Norwegian-Breakaway-TravelXena-6.jpg

Ocean Blu Cocktails

Norwegian-Breakaway-Ocean-Blu-Menu-Cocktails-Champagne-TravelXena.jpg

Edited by xenagurl

Great pictures, looking forward to seeing more and your thoughts about the Breakaway.

Love the video! Sure looks fun!:D

Thank you! Yes, it's great for kids and kids at heart!

If you have any particular questions I'd be happy to answer it. Overall it was a wonderful trip and I can see the wheels in my husband's mind trying to find time to get back on before winter.

Thank you! Yes, it's great for kids and kids at heart!

If you have any particular questions I'd be happy to answer it. Overall it was a wonderful trip and I can see the wheels in my husband's mind trying to find time to get back on before winter.

Ok then, I just have to ask as I'm a little bit concerned about it.;) When using the free fall and whip, do you feel it is necessary to hold your bathing suit top tightly in case of any malfunctions on your way down the slildes??:eek::D I would prefer to concentrate on the thrill of the ride and not having to worry about where my top will end up when I'm at the finish line, LOL! Thank you!:)

Ok then, I just have to ask as I'm a little bit concerned about it.;) When using the free fall and whip, do you feel it is necessary to hold your bathing suit top tightly in case of any malfunctions on your way down the slildes??:eek::D I would prefer to concentrate on the thrill of the ride and not having to worry about where my top will end up when I'm at the finish line, LOL! Thank you!:)

LOL good question! On the free fall you wear the back board and have to have your hands crossed over your chest so you're already "set" just in case. I would make sure that the back of the top was tied well though.

On the whip, I don't think that there would be a concern. I had on a skirted bottom and the only thing I found was that the panty part of the swimsuit kept riding up which made me glad for the ruffle!

LOL good question! On the free fall you wear the back board and have to have your hands crossed over your chest so you're already "set" just in case. I would make sure that the back of the top was tied well though.

On the whip, I don't think that there would be a concern. I had on a skirted bottom and the only thing I found was that the panty part of the swimsuit kept riding up which made me glad for the ruffle!

Hi! I noticed the sign saying no jewelry. Is that just for the free fall slide? My wedding band doesn't leave my finger ;)

Thank you, I feel better already! Looks as if you REALLY enjoyed your time there. I can't wait to try them out myself!:D