Bob Marley Tour and Ganja

CascadeCruiz

I've read all about the Bob Marley tour (either through the ship or independent tour guides) and see that ganja is openly smoked at some point during the tour. My husband and I are big Marley fans and would love to do this tour but are concerned about taking our 16 year old along with us. We will also be traveling with our 18 and 20 year old but aren't as concerned about them. NO FLAMES PLEASE :))) just want some first hand knowledge of how that portion of the tour is handled. Also...are there a lot of different tour guides at Nine Mile? I've seen some youtube video of one in particular who seems like he'd be a blast to tour with. From your experience can you request a specific tour guide? I have requested information from four different independent tour guides recently and haven't heard back from any of them so am turning to the forum for help.

Thanks!

Vicki

As a parent, I understand what you are saying. However, think of this as a great teachable moment. First of all, no one is ever made to feel like they HAVE to smoke anywhere on the tour. And yes, it is available, but it is NEVER pushed on you. A simple, no thanks, is all that is needed when you are approached (even if it is tea, ask what it is made of). Second, think of this as an opportunity to share your own views on drugs with your kids. If it isn't something that you support say so and why, but also explain why the Rasta use it. And finally, I know you aren't going to like this, but if your son is 16, he's already been exposed to this before. Even in Ohio, the kids know the best ganja comes from Jamaica.:( Hope you have a great time on your visit. My only advice...bring car sickness bags. Even people who don't get car sick ever, seem to have a problem with Jamaican roads through the hills.

We just returned from a cruise and took a tour of Nine Mile through Peat Taylor's company. It was great, we all had a wonderful time. Yes, as soon as we got out of the van the aroma hit us. Yes, there was a man selling ganja, but a polite no thank you was all it took, there was never any feeling that we would be forced to do anything we were uncomfortable with. BTW, we were a party of 9, including 1 18 yr old and 1 14 yr old (both girls). No one ever felt unsafe either. It was quite fun and still pretty informative. It was awe-inspiring just being there. We were assigned a guide, I don't know if you can choose one, but ours was great!

No one in our group got car sick, but the journey is long, and can be daunting if you don't know what you are in for. Jamaica is the most mountainous Caribbean island, so prepare for a long, windy, uphill ride. Definitely choose a reputable company and driver! The roads are quite narrow compared to the states, and you may have to pull over to let others pass from time to time.

It turned out to be the favorite stop of our cruise! I hope you take advantage of the opportunity and experience it yourself! I highly recommend Peat Taylor... my husband thought we had the best driver he'd ever seen, and that's saying a lot!!

croozlady

We were two women traveling alone, used to striking out by ourselves, but hesitant to do so in Jamaica due to some unfortunate events we’d read about on Cruise Critic last summer. Things can get dicey even on a Carnival sponsored excursion. After much research, we decided to go with Peat Taylor Tours (http://www.peattaylor.com). We made an excellent choice. After several emails back and forth with Oniel, another of Peat’s sons, we had our day planned out.

Port of Jamaica:

The port area was immaculate and the officers and staff very friendly and helpful. We were directed to the independent tour guide area and found PJ Taylor waiting for us there. We had requested that Peat leave us with someone who would spend the day at our side, and PJ never left us for a moment. We had an air conditioned van, with Keith as the driver, and PJ riding shotgun in the front seat. As we left the port area driving along to 9 Mile in Saint Ann’s parish and our pilgrimage to pay homage to Bob Marley, PJ filled us in on his country. We talked about geography, demographics, religion, education, the economy, and culture, as we passed scenic and not so scenic views as we travelled the twisting and winding road up to 9 Mile.

9 Mile:

A sharp turn off of the main road lead to 30 foot tall purple gates which were unlocked to allow our van to enter and the Rastaman quickly locked the gate behind us. We left our van and Keith and climbed the long flight of stone steps up to the entrance where we paid our $15 USD each entry fee.

We climbed more steps up to the restaurant/bar area where we were able to use the primitive facilities while waiting for the tour guide, Fossy.

Fossy gathered the group of about 20 people at the gate and we entered to a long uphill slope with gorgeous vegetation and beautiful flowers...and some cannabis plants, if you knew what to look for. The Mount Zion compound is a place best entered with an open mind. Spiritual use of marijuana is a part of the Rastafarian religion ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_use_of_cannabis ). While the usage of cannabis was evident, it was also done discreetly and did not infringe on those who did not choose to participate.

We viewed the gravesites of Bob’s maternal grandparents and headed uphill to Bob’s little tiny house where we viewed the little two room building. A carved wooded lounge chair and a smaller wicker and iron chair were the only furniture in the front room. The back room held Bob’s single bed, made famous in his song “Is This Love?”.

A small courtyard separates Bob’s little house from the resting places of Mother B, Bob’s mother who passed away in May of 2008, and the final resting place of Robert “Bob” Nesta Marley. Mother B’s tomb is shown in the photo above and only was able to be photographed because the mausoleum is not yet finished. Once it is finished, photos will be prohibited as they are at Bob’s mausoleum adjacent.

Entering barefooted and carrying a candle which will be lit from the candles that are always burning, it is sobering to look up at Bob’s white marble tomb. Following along with one hand on the tomb and one hand on the candle while Fossy divulged information on Bob’s early years was quite the experience.

As I handed the candle to Fossy to re-light later that day he named me “Mama Africa”. Quite the honor for a chubby middle aged white woman from Texas.

We headed back down the slope to the gates, grateful for the opportunity to visit a place and culture so foreign to us. With a final hug from Fossy, we headed for a cool drink and back into the van for our journey back to the Port of Jamaica.

Along the drive back to the port, we saw children in their school uniforms walking home, cabbage fields, and stopped to eat a Jamaican Beef Pattie, buy coffee and jerk seasoning.

It was a very long drive, but a splendid day, made all the more special with the interaction with PJ and Keith. They were kind, courteous, clean, funny, and gave us an appreciation for Jamaica and her people that we hadn't had before our trip.

One Love.

(Photos at http://gallery.me.com/greeneacres#100073)

Edited by Stircrzy

• 3 weeks later...
croozlady,

Who was your tour guide? There's one that's all over youtube. I think they called him Captain Crazy. His laugh is hilarious!

:D:D:D:D

We did the Nine Miles tour with Zion bus tours through Carnival. Captain Crazy was our tour guide and he was crazy. I have to admit, it was one of the best tours I have done on a cruise. Reggae music all the way, great scenery, rum punches.

Catherine

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
We were two women traveling alone, used to striking out by ourselves, but hesitant to do so in Jamaica due to some unfortunate events we’d read about on Cruise Critic last summer. Things can get dicey even on a Carnival sponsored excursion. After much research, we decided to go with Peat Taylor Tours (http://www.peattaylor.com). We made an excellent choice. After several emails back and forth with Oniel, another of Peat’s sons, we had our day planned out.

Port of Jamaica:

The port area was immaculate and the officers and staff very friendly and helpful. We were directed to the independent tour guide area and found PJ Taylor waiting for us there. We had requested that Peat leave us with someone who would spend the day at our side, and PJ never left us for a moment. We had an air conditioned van, with Keith as the driver, and PJ riding shotgun in the front seat. As we left the port area driving along to 9 Mile in Saint Ann’s parish and our pilgrimage to pay homage to Bob Marley, PJ filled us in on his country. We talked about geography, demographics, religion, education, the economy, and culture, as we passed scenic and not so scenic views as we travelled the twisting and winding road up to 9 Mile.

9 Mile:

A sharp turn off of the main road lead to 30 foot tall purple gates which were unlocked to allow our van to enter and the Rastaman quickly locked the gate behind us. We left our van and Keith and climbed the long flight of stone steps up to the entrance where we paid our $15 USD each entry fee.

We climbed more steps up to the restaurant/bar area where we were able to use the primitive facilities while waiting for the tour guide, Fossy.

Fossy gathered the group of about 20 people at the gate and we entered to a long uphill slope with gorgeous vegetation and beautiful flowers...and some cannabis plants, if you knew what to look for. The Mount Zion compound is a place best entered with an open mind. Spiritual use of marijuana is a part of the Rastafarian religion ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_use_of_cannabis ). While the usage of cannabis was evident, it was also done discreetly and did not infringe on those who did not choose to participate.

We viewed the gravesites of Bob’s maternal grandparents and headed uphill to Bob’s little tiny house where we viewed the little two room building. A carved wooded lounge chair and a smaller wicker and iron chair were the only furniture in the front room. The back room held Bob’s single bed, made famous in his song “Is This Love?”.

A small courtyard separates Bob’s little house from the resting places of Mother B, Bob’s mother who passed away in May of 2008, and the final resting place of Robert “Bob” Nesta Marley. Mother B’s tomb is shown in the photo above and only was able to be photographed because the mausoleum is not yet finished. Once it is finished, photos will be prohibited as they are at Bob’s mausoleum adjacent.

Entering barefooted and carrying a candle which will be lit from the candles that are always burning, it is sobering to look up at Bob’s white marble tomb. Following along with one hand on the tomb and one hand on the candle while Fossy divulged information on Bob’s early years was quite the experience.

As I handed the candle to Fossy to re-light later that day he named me “Mama Africa”. Quite the honor for a chubby middle aged white woman from Texas.

We headed back down the slope to the gates, grateful for the opportunity to visit a place and culture so foreign to us. With a final hug from Fossy, we headed for a cool drink and back into the van for our journey back to the Port of Jamaica.

Along the drive back to the port, we saw children in their school uniforms walking home, cabbage fields, and stopped to eat a Jamaican Beef Pattie, buy coffee and jerk seasoning.

It was a very long drive, but a splendid day, made all the more special with the interaction with PJ and Keith. They were kind, courteous, clean, funny, and gave us an appreciation for Jamaica and her people that we hadn't had before our trip.

One Love.

(Photos at http://gallery.me.com/greeneacres#100073)

Do you get to see a 'rock' that Bob Marley would sit on and write songs?? My daughter talks about this rock????

Im really liking the sound of this tour, was thinking Bamboo Beach Club but I think this tour would be so interesting. How long is the journey and do you get to stop lots for refreshments?

• 4 years later...

My family and I went on Carnival Victory and did the Zion Bob Marley tour that we booked on the ship. We had a blast with Howard as our tour guide on the bus and Captain Crazy was I guide in Zion.

Yes we had some people to smoke, but it is not mandatory that participate. We did not have anyone approach us about buying weed because I believe the folks went to a special place to get it once we got to Zion.:)