Can you still see "remnants of the French canal"?

Turtles06

I'm in the midst of reading "The Path Between the Seas" (getting excited for our first Canal transit in January), and McCullough has a map of the Canal in the book that shows an area up near the Atlantic entrance that is marked "remnants of the French canal." This is just north/northeast of the Gatun Locks.

I was wondering whether, from a ship, it's possible to see any such "remnants." (And if so, what to be looking for.) We are on a westbound transit. (Yes, I know, the Canal runs NW/SE. :) )

Thanks for any info!

I'm in the midst of reading "The Path Between the Seas" (getting excited for our first Canal transit in January), and McCullough has a map of the Canal in the book that shows an area up near the Atlantic entrance that is marked "remnants of the French canal." This is just north/northeast of the Gatun Locks.

I was wondering whether, from a ship, it's possible to see any such "remnants." (And if so, what to be looking for.) We are on a westbound transit. (Yes, I know, the Canal runs NW/SE. :) )

Thanks for any info!

Yes you can see it . As you head into the Gatun locks . It will be on the right hand side,

Thanks for any info!

Here's what you will want to look for... although it was not very wide, the natural growth has made it look even narrower, very easy to overlook. The remnants of the French excavation can be seen after you pass the site of the new Atlantic Bridge and before you get to Gatun Locks. The site of the bridge is easy to spot as the piers are almost complete and there may even be some superstructure erected by the time you make your transit.

2ymd45x.jpg

Yes you can see it . As you head into the Gatun locks . It will be on the right hand side,

Here's what you will want to look for... although it was not very wide, the natural growth has made it look even narrower, very easy to overlook. The remnants of the French excavation can be seen after you pass the site of the new Atlantic Bridge and before you get to Gatun Locks. The site of the bridge is easy to spot as the piers are almost complete and there may even be some superstructure erected by the time you make your transit.

Thank you both for the reply, and Bill for the photo.

Bill, in your photo, are we looking south (that is, toward the Gatun locks from the Atlantic side?)

Thanks again, I'm so excited to be making this trip.

Bill, in your photo, are we looking south (that is, toward the Gatun locks from the Atlantic side?)

Thanks again, I'm so excited to be making this trip.

That's correct, you are looking south towards Gatun Locks in the pic.

Enjoy the cruise and transit!