British Isles 2015 - Which Itinerary Did You Like? Princess or Celebrity

JimAOk1945

Hi everyone,

I'm in the early research stages of planning a British Isles cruise in 2015 and trying to decide between Princess and Celebrity. This will be our first cruise in Europe.

This is a once in a lifetime dream cruise that I'm planning so I would appreciate any help, advice, or tips that you can offer.

If you have been on the Princess or Celebrity British Isles cruise, or both of them, I would be very interested in hearing from you with your likes, dislikes, opinions, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by JimAOk1945

We took the Princess last August 16-28...port intensive and wonderful...wasn't a big fan of the large ship Caribbean Princess but itinerary was perfect for us...did all the tours with groups put together on Cc and saved a ton of money that way. Did the pre cruise Princess land tour, Ring of Kerry, and would not do that again...by combining the tour and cruise in one price we were not allowed any of the price drops and that was maddening.

We took the Princess last August 16-28...port intensive and wonderful...wasn't a big fan of the large ship Caribbean Princess but itinerary was perfect for us...did all the tours with groups put together on Cc and saved a ton of money that way. Did the pre cruise Princess land tour, Ring of Kerry, and would not do that again...by combining the tour and cruise in one price we were not allowed any of the price drops and that was maddening.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts!

Hi everyone,

I'm in the early research stages of planning a British Isles cruise in 2015 and trying to decide between Princess and Celebrity. This will be our first cruise in Europe.

This is a once in a lifetime dream cruise that I'm planning so I would appreciate any help, advice, or tips that you can offer.

If you have been on the Princess or Celebrity British Isles cruise, or both of them, I would be very interested in hearing from you with your likes, dislikes, opinions, etc.

Thanks in advance!

We've never been on Princess but we like Celebrity very much and are taking the UK cruise in August, 2014.

Debbie

Florida

... This will be our first cruise in Europe... This is a once in a lifetime dream cruise...

Those two statements will have a major impact on your visit. First, a visit to Europe takes much, much more planning than a visit to a resort-type place like the Caribbean. You cannot simply get off in each European port and expect to have the best experience. You'll have to do research about each place. I happen to like doing research about my upcoming trips. I think reading about what I will be seeing and doing extends the fun of the cruise. This board is a wonderful resource, but you'll get better answers if your questions are somewhat focused and reflect a bit of advance research on your part.

Since you describe yourself as unlikely to return to the British Isles, you may try to cram in visits to as many destinations as possible. Resist the urge to do that. You'll take away more satisfying memories if you reduce the number of places you visit but make each stop more meaningful. A visit to the British museum is an example of what I'm suggesting. You could simply wander through the museum and look, but there are three different ways to enrich your experience:

o the 90-minute for-a-fee 90 minute tour of the highlights

o renting an Multi-media audio guide which the museum says includes descriptions of over 200 items in the collection

Perhaps visit the nine items the museum claims are their highlights of a

one-hour visit. (There a much longer list on the web site for a three-hour visit.)

o free gallery talks.

There are two series: a Friday night series of 20-minute talks and the

"Eye-opener" talks which take place throughout the day each lasting

30-40 minutes. If you have a particular interest, you'll probably find this

last category of talks even more satisfying that a highlights tour. (My

husband and I have taken at least four of these over the years. I think

the Egyptian gallery talk remains our favorite.)

If you'll be staying in London before or after your cruise -- something I strongly recommend -- I have one personal bias to share. I'm not a fan of HOHO buses. I think there's too much time spent waiting at bus stops for the next bus or the bus schedule controls the amount of time people spend at a destination. I much prefer walking or using the underground. The signage/announcements for the underground system is good and, of course, you'll be in an English-speaking country if you need to ask questions

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

First, you'll need to compare the itineraries. They are usually similar but not identical. If one port or activity is a "must-do," then take a further look at that particular cruise. Next, consider the ship itself and your budget. Because you'll be booking relatively early, you'll have your choice of cabins in a particular category - but do the math. We usually compare the per person per day cost after taking into account OBC offers, etc. for similar cabins. In our case, Princess was the winner.

Have a great trip!

• 1 year later...
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

I am considering the same thing, only for 2016. What did you decide? What factors played into it? Thanks for any guidance!

I am considering the same thing, only for 2016. What did you decide? What factors played into it? Thanks for any guidance!

In 2014, we had an ocean view cabin reserved on Celebrity on a very low deck (deck 3 I think), and ultimately cancelled it in favor of a mid-ship ocean view on a somewhat higher deck on the Ruby Princess, for less money. For me, on a 12 day cruise, cabin location is important.

Also important is the departure port for your cruise. I believe Celebrity leaves from Harwich which is a further distance from London that Southampton, where Princess ships are located.

Just two points to consider.

In 2014, we had an ocean view cabin reserved on Celebrity on a very low deck (deck 3 I think), and ultimately cancelled it in favor of a mid-ship ocean view on a somewhat higher deck on the Ruby Princess, for less money. For me, on a 12 day cruise, cabin location is important.

Also important is the departure port for your cruise. I believe Celebrity leaves from Harwich which is a further distance from London that Southampton, where Princess ships are located.

Just two points to consider.

Thanks so much for the input. The Celebrity one we are looking at leaves from Copenhagen, which could be interesting. I agree on cabin, I am looking at a balcony up higher for sure! :)

Hello everyone. OP here.

We have decided to postpone our plans for various reasons. When we do decide to go, it will be with Princess and definitely in August to view to Edinburg Tattoo. DW likes the idea of going a few days early and staying in London rather than cruising out of Amsterdam where Celebrity is doing this roundtrip itinerary.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed their suggestions and opinions. This forum has proved to be invaluable to our planning.

Happy cruising!