The Scam local guy .....

sail7seas

We had a thread a while ago about the fellow who scams tourists with stories about being mugged and needing money to take care of his father hurt and in the hospital.

No one has mentioned him lately....

Know if he is still at it?

Wonder if he was finally arrested. :D

I saw him in San Juan about 2 1/2 years ago. I was sitting on a bench not far from the ship along with my late DH and a friend with whom we were traveling. He approached, went into his routine, I started to laugh and told him to disappear. My DH and friend had no clue why I was speaking to this man in that way. They laughed so hard when I told them. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Got to meet him or someone doing the same scam 2yrs ago. We're going to SJ again this winter. I'll be looking for him. His story was so fake, I can't believe anyone would actually give him a penny.

Edited by PBC29

He's still at it. I see him in Condado sometimes as well. I posted a picture of him on the other thread. He reminds me of an older version of the actor Ryan Stiles.

You should post a picture of him on here. I am leaving tomorrow

Thanks for posting. I don't know why I am even interested but just be funny to see if I will see him or not. Excited to check out San Juan for the first time

I am in San Juan right now and as soon as we got off the ship and started walking down the Main Street and he walked up to myself and my group giving the same story! I told him I've heard of his story on CruiseCritic and he told me he doesn't know what that is but this is the truth and we said sorry we're not interested and he stormed off. He is still at it!!!!

Now I am hoping to run into him this fall when we are there. I won't tell the Brother in Law about him though. Want to see if he falls for it. :D:D

Of course I won't let him give away any money, but he can buy me a few drinks later on. :D:D

• 2 weeks later...

I saw him last week right by the cruise pier. He approached me and my family shortly after we had boarded the Liberty and had gotten off to explore San Juan. When he said "excuse me, do you speak English?", I knew it was him. I smiled and said "You picked the wrong guy". I was going to mention Cruise Critic, but he cut me off and said "Because you're an a**hole", and stormed off. I was so stunned, I had no answer. I had told my wife and 2 adult daughters about him, so we all had a good laugh about it. I was hoping to run into him again this morning upon debarking, but no such luck. We've still got a few days in Condado so, maybe...

We haven't met him but he must have a son, the younger version has a crutch and tells of no money to get back home - he was injured in the gulf war and can't work - he was walking behind us and finally got along side us -as we picked up our pace so did he (he can really walk fast with his crutches) - after saying no several times he stopped and caught another couple walking in the opposite direction.