Ship-sponsored or Independent in Marseille?

#eurovirgin

My husband and I are going on our first Mediterranean cruise the first week of April. I'm researching which cities we can safely plan our own excursions and which cities where it would be best to rely on ship sponsored excursions. So tell me about Marseille and Monte Carlo...are they good places to go independent? I'm not sure where to start.

Edited by #eurovirgin

My husband and I are going on our first Mediterranean cruise the first week of April. I'm researching which cities we can safely plan our own excursions and which cities where it would be best to rely on ship sponsored excursions. So tell me about Marseille and Monte Carlo...are they good places to go independent? I'm not sure where to start.

They are very easy to do independently. You need to do some research to determine what you would like to see - a good place to start for first time visitors is Mediterranean Cruise Ports by Rick Steves. He provides lots of useful information including sights to see, directions and maps.

You can purchase it online or at your local bookstore.

https://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-M.../dp/1612385060

You might also google Tom's Port guides for those two ports. His site has maps and links for public transportation if you choose to visit other towns in each port.

In Marseille, Aix is a very easy independent excursion. The easiest way is to take a taxi from the cruise port to the bus/train station in Marseille and take one or the other to Aix. Cassis is also possible via public transportation, but a bit more difficult. If your desire is to see other towns in Provence (Arles, Les Baux, Avignon, St.Remy to name a few) you would be better off with an excursion or renting a car.

In Monte Carlo, the train can take you to many towns along the French Riviera coast. You also have the option of a bus to closer towns such as Nice (for anything farther afield the bus would take too much time.) Eze village is also possible if you time the bus...but a word of warning the bus doesn't run on Sundays.

I notice on many of the European boards you have posted similar messages. If after completing some research on each port you decide you would like an organized excursion, you might be able to hook up with others on your cruise through a roll call for your sailing and do it for less money then a ship based excursion.

If you don't know where to find it, let us know which ship you are on and which date the cruise starts and we'll be able to link you to the roll call.:)

Edited by buggins0402

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Marseille on a RCL cruise. Our cruise ship docked at the far end of the Marseille pier. I think it would have been a good long walk to find public transportation. I don't remember any taxi's when we got off the ship.

I agree with the recommendation to purchase the Rick Steves "Mediterranean Cruise Ports" guide.

We took the RCL excursion to Cassis. The tour bus stopped at Cap Canaille for about a 1/2 hour so we could take photos. This stop was not in the RCL excursion description. Cassis is a great little village. If the weather is nice, take a boat ride to the calanques. They are supposed to be spectacular. We did not go due to weather concerns.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When it comes to Western Europe it is quite possible (and usually easy) to go off on your own (DIY) as long as you do a little pre-cruise homework (these forums are a great to get info). But whether or not you choose to do go independent or on an excursion is a personal preference...and there is no right or wrong. Keep in mind that most cruise line excursions involve going with a large group (often 40-60) and having limited personal time/freedom. On the other hand it is relatively mindless in that you pay your money, go to the appropriate meeting point on the ship or pier, and just follow the leader (kind of like cattle). Personally this kind of travel does not suit DW and moi, so we seldom to never take a tour in Europe.

As to Marseille, you first need to decide what you want to do and see...and then can explore the DIY vs Excursion options. For example, if you decide you want to go to Aix En Provence for the day you could take an excursion...or save a lot of money by taking the regional train or bus from Marseille (St Charles Train Station) to Aix. But if you decide you want to explore the countryside and small villages of the Luberon...you will need some kind of excursion or small private tour. The DIY option for the Luberon would be to rent a car (at Marselle) and drive yourself....but most first-time visitors do not consider this option.

So my advice is first decide what you want to do in each port...and then you can explore the options to achieve your personal goals.

Hank

Thank you all- I did just get the RS guide. I plan to start going through that today, and then I'll be able to ask more specific questions.

My husband, myself and two friends are on this cruise as well. Perhaps we can help each other out with our findings!

Terri

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter who was on the cruise with us is an artist so we seized the opportunity on our Marseille shore excursion to discover Provence in Van Gogh's footsteps.

We first went to beautiful Les Baux. On the way, we admired the beautiful mountain range, with olive trees and vineyards. Our guide took us for to an olive oil farm and to a winery for tastings. We went to Arles in the afternoon. Our guide took us to the ruins - it was fascinating. She also took us to some of the sites painted by van Gogh. Arles is quaint, with lovely shops and restaurants - We were with a couple of friends, everyone enjoyed the outing.

In Monte Carlo, we went on a private customzed tour with a focus on art. Our guide took us to the Chagall and the Matisse Museums in Nice. We were also taken for a drive along the coast and stopped in Eze. The weather was fabulous . We took some great photos of the coastline and the yachts!!!

Friends of ours who were on the same cruise last summer recommended a local travel operator. She did a great job customizing everything for our famiily

• 2 weeks later...
My daughter who was on the cruise with us is an artist so we seized the opportunity on our Marseille shore excursion to discover Provence in Van Gogh's footsteps.

We first went to beautiful Les Baux. On the way, we admired the beautiful mountain range, with olive trees and vineyards. Our guide took us for to an olive oil farm and to a winery for tastings. We went to Arles in the afternoon. Our guide took us to the ruins - it was fascinating. She also took us to some of the sites painted by van Gogh. Arles is quaint, with lovely shops and restaurants - We were with a couple of friends, everyone enjoyed the outing.

In Monte Carlo, we went on a private customzed tour with a focus on art. Our guide took us to the Chagall and the Matisse Museums in Nice. We were also taken for a drive along the coast and stopped in Eze. The weather was fabulous . We took some great photos of the coastline and the yachts!!!

Friends of ours who were on the same cruise last summer recommended a local travel operator. She did a great job customizing everything for our famiily

which tour operator did you go with?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I notice most replies suggest places outside of Marseille. Our son and his little family are residents of Marseille. It is a fascinating city in its own right...not as shiny as the more touristy towns but very interesting.

So here is a rhetorical question. When the French go on their annual holiday, and decide to head south for their vacation....how many of them spend their days in Marseille?

We have explored Marseille (in some depth) while on extended land trips. We have also driven all over the south of France. Personally, Marseille would not be our desired port day destination. And although we are not the type to overly worry about our personal safety (we even live in Mexico part of the year), one might want to simply "Google" the "most dangerous cities in France" or most dangerous cities in Europe. Marseille generally ranks pretty high.

Hank

I wouldn't know as the only people I know who live in Paris, for example, are relatives of our son and therefore DO go to Marseille. The kids go to Italy or Germany or New York, where we are.

As I noted, Marseille is not a polished tourist town and will not suit those who are interested in that. We happen to love it and thought our opinion might be of some use. If you know you do not like it, then you don't need our opinion one way or the other.

As for its safety, it's no better or worse than most comparably sized US cities. A little good sense goes a long way.

• 3 weeks later...
I notice most replies suggest places outside of Marseille. Our son and his little family are residents of Marseille. It is a fascinating city in its own right...not as shiny as the more touristy towns but very interesting.

We're thinking of exploring Marseille by ourselves, we love wandering around European cities. Any recommendations for not-to-be-missed sights would be a great help.

Also we'd love a recommendation for a great local restaurant for lunch, one that showcases local cuisine but that isn't touristy.

We've visited the cathedral, Notre Dame de la Garde, every time we've been to Marseille to see the kids. The tram ride up the hill is fun, and the view is amazing. Besides, it's a gorgeous building. There's also a lovely cathedral down nearer the port, but if you have to choose, definitely take the tram to the lady on the hill.

Vieux Porte itself is worth walking around in. Sure, it's touristy, but the whole city frequents something there or near there. The huge overhead mirror on the water side of the street is fun for photography.

The big new mall is a different kind of fun, at least for a brief visit. It's on the water, too. But I can't help you much for restaurants. We love the bakeries, but we tend to eat at the Moroccan or Asian places. There is also a very pleasant local cuisine/seafood place on the far end of the Vieux Porte area, the opposite end from where most of the businesses are. I can't remember its name. It's one of the larger ones and is, I believe, the very last in that long row.

If you drink, be sure to stop at any of the cafes for a pastis. I like it so much I learned to make my own. Provence is also the only place I'll drink "pink" wine. The local rosé is worth breaking our rule that the first obligation of wine is to be red. ☺️

One last note: if you like to collect only useful souvenirs, as we do, you can buy the BEST reusable shopping bags in France. For one euro, Monoprix, a local grocery, one of which you can find just a short walk up the Main Street off of the Vieux Porte...up the street where the tourist info center is, will sell you an excellent bag tucked into its own tiny pocket. We use them for everything!

Thanks, 2Oldpeopleinlove. I've noted your recommendations in my file.

We're already great fans of the Provencal rosés. The best in the world IMHO, especially with lunch.

And, yes, I know about the Monoprix shopping bags. They are awesome! I have a very old and rather tatty-looking one in my handbag at the moment. It must be at least 10 years old and has been well-used. DH also has one. We're actually starting our trip by flying into Paris where I am going to stock up on the Monoprix shopping bags, just in case I don't get time to shop for them on the cruise. Although that's not the only reason for going to Paris. ;)