Our first Cruise questions

journey

My DH and I will be on PG in April for our first cruise ever. We are going with couples who have been on this cruise before. We want to make sure we do some fun excursions even though our traveling companions may not want to repeat them. I looked through all the excursions and these fitted us well as far as I can determine. What are your thoughts? Also, what should we not miss on the ship?

Day 3 Fakarava, Tuamotus

Half day to Teahatea Beach 8:30 PM

Day 11 Huahine, Society Islands

Motu Picnic and Catamaran 9 AM

Day at the Beach-Hotel La Pita 10 AM

Cultural Highlights of Huahine (vanilla) 9:30 AM

Day 12 Bora Bora

Lagoon Cruise and Polynesian Freast (Patrick) 9:30 AM

Bora Bora Day at the Beach 9 AM No info

Day 13 Taha's Motu Mahana

Day 14 Catamaran Sail and Snorkel 8:30 am (north side of Moorea)

The only one I wouldnt do is the day at the beach at Le Maitai in Huahine. The Beach is absolutely awful.

Suggest some substitutions if you have a group

Marc's Huahine Nautique motu picnic in Huahine

Ato's trip to the blue lagoon - its all day and the same price or less than the ships.

If you are interested in the culture I would also suggest

Trail of the ancients in Moorea

For other day in Moorea go to the Hilton and buy the day pass ( includes lunch)

Visit the Bora bora motu - its a wonderful place to relax at no cost

The 4x4 in Bora is good too - great views from the top.

Another fun one to do is ATV Moorea on Moorea. You drive quards around t and through the island. Lots of fun and they also take pictures of you and e mail them back to you. I would also do Marc's on Huahine again. Hope you have a great time. We will be going back in Sept.:D

Take Marc's on Huahine, as mentioned the beach area in front of the MaiTai isn't the best plus there can be currents making snorkeling a bit tricky.

On Moorea stick with a land based tour.

I wouldn't do anything on Motu Mahana day except enjoying the motu

Thank ya'll for all the information. it is really helpful.

We are getting excited and I'm really hoping I will not get seasick which is the only reason my DH and I have never been on a cruise. An addendum is that we did go on a River Cruise but, of course, that is totally different. No problems with seasickness on that.

We are getting excited and I'm really hoping I will not get seasick which is the only reason my DH and I have never been on a cruise. An addendum is that we did go on a River Cruise but, of course, that is totally different. No problems with seasickness on that.

I think you are unlikely to get seasick, it's been my experience that people who get seasick, often get car sick or feel dizzy on rides easily etc. If you aren't one of those folks, you will probably adjust after a few hours. Just in case; here is my 4 part seasickness remedy, pack and prepare these things and while you are unlikely to get sick, you will be prepared!! I keep a "go kit" with me at all times on board and when on excursions that I can use at the very first sign of queasiness. Most times I never need it, or if I do I never get through all 4 steps!

1-Keep your tummy filled (don't get hungry, easy advice to follow on a cruise ship;)) with lean proteins. I pack small bags of nuts for excursions in my "go bag" and as room snacks, or order a cheese plate for your room during sail away before dinner, when you are most likely to have an empty tummy. This is also the time you are most likely to be bothered- in a small cabin or shower getting ready for dinner while you are hungry and the ship is just starting to move after being anchored or docked.

2-I keep a few pieces of ginger gum in my go bag. These can be found in the motion sickness remedy aisle of the drug store. If I feel a little queasy, I start chewing the ginger gum (real dried ginger works too, but is harder to store) Some people will say drink ginger ale, but unfortunately, most ginger ale is made with artificial flavors these days.

3-If the ginger gum isn't doing the trick, I take a meclazine (bonine) which is also easily found in the drug store. It is less "drowsy" than stronger things, and I can still enjoy the evening.

4-If after a few hours with meclazine, I'm still not feeling great, I will usually call it a night and take diphenhydramine (Dramamine)and go to bed!

My go kit is tiny, fits inside a coin wallet with my key card and a little cash, and lip balm, so I can carry it anywhere. I use a tiny plastic bag or pill case and carry 2 pieces of ginger gum, 2 bonine pills and 2 dramamine pills in it. I find Im more likely to get sick on excursions in a small boat if it's rough that in a larger cruise ship, but with this "system" I have rarely had any motion discomfort that affected my enjoyment of any cruise! (haven't been to Antarctica yet, tho, so I will let you know after that:D !!)

Edited by Familygoboston

I have seen people seasick on the Paul Gauguin. Do take your bag of nostrums and use them when required. I'm lucky, I am very prone to seasickness, but on 42 nights on the PG, I've only taken meclizine (bonine) twice, just a single table in anticipation or paranoia. But the risk is real. Others swear by the sea bands--I have not used them.

If you are feeling the motion of the ocean and all else fails, there is an injection administered by the ship's Doctor. There is a charge for this on all ships (not sure what PG charges) but you will take a nap and when you awake, the ship could be doing barrel rolls :eek: and you will want to go find the food.:D:D The injection usually lasts for the duration of the voyage.

Edited by Jim Avery