Where to stay for 1 night Houston

Tracik

Our trip is February we are driving over the night before. Where is a good place to stay? Are there any hotels that let you leave you vehicle there?

Travel agent said you can leave your vehicle at port for $15 a day.

Thanks!!

Sorry, port of Houston.

I saw a couple people talk about Best Western Bayport. What is Bayport? Is that in Houston? I'm confused! LOL

Also, saw someone talking about staying near boardwalk for more things to do. How far from port is downtown?

Thanks!

Sorry, port of Houston.

I saw a couple people talk about Best Western Bayport. What is Bayport? Is that in Houston? I'm confused! LOL

Also, saw someone talking about staying near boardwalk for more things to do. How far from port is downtown?

Thanks!

Bayport is the name of an area. Technically it's in Pasadena, but if you look at a map it's more in the Seabrook area. Kemah is south of Seabrook along Hwy 146 on Galveston Bay. Probably just as well that this port won't be used after this season!!!

Oh, the Kemah Boardwalk is an area with restaurants, shops, rides. It's a big tourist area. Very overpriced.

The port to downtown is 30 minutes to an hour depending on the day, time and traffic.

Let me try to give a bit of a longer response,

The Houston Bayport cruise terminal is located about 20-25 miles SE of downtown as the crow flies, the Bayport complex is primarily a commercial port in a very industrial part of the city surrounded by a number of petrochemical refineries, and very little else. There are a few motels that have popped up mostly since the cruise terminal opened, within 5 or so miles, but very little else. Most of the nicer accommodation options will be found about 10 miles (10 -15 minutes) south of the cruise terminal down Hwy 146 in Seabrook or Kemah. Seabrook is on the north side of the Clearlake bridge and Kemah is on the south side. Most of the better hotels / motels on the Seabrook side will be along NASA Rd 1 / NASA Blvd not along Hwy 146. On the Kemah side there are a few hotel options within walking distance of the Boardwalk, including one on the boardwalk itself. Hotel pricing at the on site hotel varies with the season, but may be worth checking out, as they offered free cruise parking and shuttle service to the port as of last year, the boardwalk is a corporate owned artificial entertainment destination that was built as a development project about 15 years ago, it features several casual dining options (Bubba Gump shrimp, etc.), a few carnival rides, various shops including a Thomas Kinkade gallery, etc. Some of it can be a bit over priced, as is common in such destinations. There are also a number of locally ran dining options near the boardwalk (some in walking distance, T-Bone Tom's ) or across the bridge in Seabrook (Tookies Burgers, probably the best burgers in Texas, just don't be in a rush if you go there, 30+ minute service time is common). There are also some national chain dining options along, or just off of Hwy 146 near the Clear lake bridge, excluding fast food north of the bridge you have Hooters at the intersection of NASA Rd 1 and Hwy 146, south of the bridge you have Chili's, Taco Cabana, and IHOP all in the parking lot of a major shopping center that is at the 1st or second traffic light on your right as you are driving south after the bridge.

You don't say which way you will be driving in from, if from the east the best way to the port is to take I-10 to Hwy 146 then down to the port through Baytown. If from the west take I-610 or Beltway 8 (toll road, some parts are E-Z pass only now, I think NE section only, but is expanding) then Hwy 225 out to Hwy 146. The road to the cruise terminal is a few miles south of where Hwy 225 meets Hwy 146

We are flying in the day before our cruise.

Does anyone have a Good place to stay the night before with a shuttle from the airport that isn't too expensive?

Also, is there a good deal on a shuttle to the cruise terminal?

By the way we are sailing on NCL in February.

Edited by STEVENJAN

Which airport, IAH / Bush or HOU / Hobby? If IAH I always suggest the Holiday Inn at JFK and Beltway 8 / Sam Houston Pky, as they have a real restaurant on site, steakhouse style that also serves real breakfast in the mornings unlike most places with only mornings with their frozen danishes, and toast.

Edited by PenguinLife

Which airport, IAH / Bush or HOU / Hobby? If IAH I always suggest the Holiday Inn at JFK and Beltway 8 / Sam Houston Pky, as they have a real restaurant on site, steakhouse style that also serves real breakfast in the mornings unlike most places with only mornings with their frozen danishes, and toast.

Yes, IAH.

I have read that a shuttle is going to cost $100.00.

That is pretty steep.

Is there a hotel/motel near the cruise terminal that also has a shuttle from IAH?

We will probably have to pay that price when we disembark.

Any savings is great.

There are none, the Houston Bayport cruise terminal is about 45 miles from IAH, so either the cruise line shuttle or one of the independent shuttle services is your best bet.

Ike

p.s. If you opt to take an independent shuttle to the cruise terminal area (I would suggest Seabrook or Kemah as mentioned above) when you arrive some of those do offer free shuttles to the cruise terminal. Pricing will depend on the number of people, but should be around that $100 number you stated, $50 per person 2 people,$25 4 people, etc. for a private shuttle van

Edited by PenguinLife

Out of those I would probably suggest the Hampton Inn on NASA Rd 1 in Clear Lake, there is also a Hilton on NASA Rd 1, but it is farther down and there is not much else in its immediate area. The Hilton is sort of a highrise hotel in the middle of nowhere and has been there forever, I am not sure, but I would guess it was built in the 1970's.

p.s. I am now not sure about the Hampton Inn on NASA Rd 1, shows up on the Hilton web page, but google says it is permanently closed. Next alternative would probably be the one on Bay Area Blvd in Webster, father away, but more dining options in walking distance.

p.p.s. google steet view shows the Hampton Inn on NASA Rd 1 gone, construction style fence around it and roof collapsed when viewed from the east, looks like probably a fire sometime in the last few months as their were reviews dated 6 months ago. News reports show fire in May.

Edited by PenguinLife

I'm also having a hard time deciding where to stay. We are flying into IAH about 8pm. So we where thinking a hotel close to the airport will make the most sense as it will be later and we would rather get a good nights sleep and travel in the morning all refreshed.

I'd like to find one with a free shuttle to the airport as its going to cost a small fortune to get to the port. I'd prefer a free breakfast and we are fine with a cheesy continental as we will be eating everything in site for 7 days but I get grumpy boys with out some breakfast.

if not asking too much a place that we could walk to to buy soda to carry on.

Cheaper the better as we wont really be using the hotel for much more than a bed and shower. But of course want it to be a clean safe place trump price.

Thanks in advance

I'm also having a hard time deciding where to stay. We are flying into IAH about 8pm. So we where thinking a hotel close to the airport will make the most sense as it will be later and we would rather get a good nights sleep and travel in the morning all refreshed.

I'd like to find one with a free shuttle to the airport as its going to cost a small fortune to get to the port. I'd prefer a free breakfast and we are fine with a cheesy continental as we will be eating everything in site for 7 days but I get grumpy boys with out some breakfast.

if not asking too much a place that we could walk to to buy soda to carry on.

Cheaper the better as we wont really be using the hotel for much more than a bed and shower. But of course want it to be a clean safe place trump price.

Thanks in advance

We are getting in after 8 pm, too, on the Friday before our cruise. With a 4 year old, that is just too late to even wait for a shuttle, so we're just staying in the Marriott right in IAH. The stay for breakfast rate was $20 more, but it includes a $19 buffet for 2 adults and all kids under 12, so definitely worth it to me.