Princess and Gluten Free

littlebug

Does anyone have any information on sailing Princess and being Gluten Free? I know you can update your cruise personalizer and my understanding this will update the Matire 'D but other than that. How do you go about finding GF food when your not eating in the main dining room? Do they have gluten free pizza? What about desserts?

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any information on sailing Princess and being Gluten Free? I know you can update your cruise personalizer and my understanding this will update the Matire 'D but other than that. How do you go about finding GF food when your not eating in the main dining room? Do they have gluten free pizza? What about desserts?

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

A quick search found a few thread on gluten free on Princess...

Here is one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2135899&highlight=gluten+free

You should talk to whomever is in charge of the buffet and ask them which dishes are gf. My husband is celiac and we had no problems on the Grand last year. A couple of times they made him something separate (e.g. made some fish without sauce, etc.).

There was some sort of gluten free dessert every day (he loved the coconut cake). Alfredo's made GF pizza for him.

In the MDR he looked at the menu for the next night and placed his order. In most cases they could make a GF version for him.

You should talk to whomever is in charge of the buffet and ask them which dishes are gf. My husband is celiac and we had no problems on the Grand last year. A couple of times they made him something separate (e.g. made some fish without sauce, etc.).

There was some sort of gluten free dessert every day (he loved the coconut cake). Alfredo's made GF pizza for him.

In the MDR he looked at the menu for the next night and placed his order. In most cases they could make a GF version for him.

Agree~~~and the IC has a few GF things.

Patti

This is good to know. My son's girlfriend is gluten free and she is open to a cruise. I told her that I knew of desserts in the display cases and that you can order something through the personalizer. She brought some of her own food with her on a recent visit.

Lynne

Things to be aware of ... we have a friend whose child has celiac disease, so can't do gluten at all. On our last cruise we met a woman who had gluten intolerance ... so could eat some, but not large amounts. Here's her comments to us about it.

1. Be extremely careful at the buffets ... even the staff gave mixed answers to which rolls were gluten free and which weren't.

2. If her gluten intolerance was severe she wouldn't recommend eating in the buffet areas. Too great of chance of cross contamination from passengers using utensils from one item to the other as the gluten free items are NOT in a separate locations.

3. She had no problems in the dining rooms.

I have food allergies. I always let the cruise line know ahead of time. Princess has been great with working with me to make sure I do not eat anything I shouldn't. The head waiter met with me each night to show me the dinner menus for the next day. I choose what I wanted - he knew what I could not order from those menus. For me breakfast and lunch are not major issues as I can pretty much know what I can and cannot eat - so buffet was OK. One day I did ask at the buffet about an item and they got the chef for me to confirm it was OK to eat.

One thing that concerned me a bit is one night we were talking about gluten free and he was raving about the gluten free cheesecake they had and how wonderful it was. Well, he made mention that how they got it to be gluten free was to cut the crust off before serving. :eek: For our friend's child that would be something she couldn't tolerate - definitely cross contamination.

So it pays to ask for the chef in the buffet areas to confirm if there is any doubt.

Edited by MilliesMom