Walkable Beach from Kings Wharf and Lucky Stone

elsplace2

I'm really behind in my research and I don't get much time on the computer these days. I have a short lunch break right now, so I am taking advantage of it to post a thread. I apologize in advance if these questions have already been asked.

We will be docked at Kings Wharf for only a day and a half. Our first day there we have a tour booked with Byways Tours. When we get back I would like to do some shopping and looking around the pier. I would like to see if I could find a Bermuda Lucky Stone. Are there jewelry stores around the pier?

Also on our second day we will only have about a half day to get to the beach so I was hoping to just go to ANY beach for just a short time, that might be walking distance, for a swim and relax for a bit. I have read Sea Glass beach is walkable but not ideal because of no sidewalks....is that still the case? Is it safe to walk there even without sidewalks? Is the beach swimable.

Thanks in advance!!

Yes, there are jewelry stores at the Clocktower Mall at Dockyard, Crissons and ER.Aubrey. I bought Bermuda lucky stone earrings at ER.Aubrey in Hamilton and they should have the same things at Dockyard.

There is a walkable back way to get to the glass beach where you wouldn't be on the main road. I suppose it's swimmable but I wouldn't recommend it, not really a beach to sit or lounge around. Black Bay, which is close by would be a better bet but I don't really know much about it.

The only other option would be Snorkel Park beach which is right at Dockyard. It would be my last recommendation but others think it's fine for a last day and close by. What time does your ship leave? If you start early, you may have enough time to go to Horseshoe Bay.

Thanks for the response!!

Where can I find directions to walk it via the back way? I would love to see glass beach.....even if I can't swim in it. Maybe on the way back we would stop off at Snorkel Beach....I have to check out where Black Bay Beach is, I haven't heard of that one yet!

I think the ship leaves around 3:00 or 4:00....can't remember for sure.

Looks like the pictures are no loner available but maybe you can still follow.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1441854&highlight=glass+beach

Wish 32n64w would still post.

If you're not leaving until 3 you would still have time to go to Horseshoe Bay but I understand staying fairly close by on departure day. One time there was some bad weather and ferries were not running so EVERYONE was trying to get on the buses. They passed some stops because they were full and some were worried about getting back to Dockyard in time. People were getting nasty with each other. We had another day so we just took a bus in the opposite direction and headed back to St. George by bus the whole way.

Thanks for the link....I will get a better look at it this weekend and maybe try to "walk through it" on a google map.

Yes, I do like to stay close by on departure day...I don't like taking any chances especially with public transportation. You also confirmed my fears by what you said....YIKES :eek: I would be in panic mode if that happened to me. I like playing it safe if I can.

Of course if it's only 1 day in a port you do what you have to do....but usually they leave a little later in the day.

Again thanks for you help...hopefully I will find some time to do some research next week....I go on a land/beach vacation next week....hopefully I can get Wifi easily!

This would not be walkable but certainly close. You can go to Somerset Long Bay. We took the number 7 bus from the dockyard and it was a 10 minute ride to Somerset (get off by the post office). There is Mangrove Bay right there but not much room to lay down and lots of boats in the water. Walk up Mangrove Bay road, them make a left on Tween Walls and that will take you near Somerset Long Bay. It is a 10-15 minute walk. The beach is calm and nice. We took a bus in the morning stayed for a couple of hours. Caught the number 8 back and we're back in the ship for lunch.

For walkability nothing beats Snorkel Park. Its proximity is a great plus. There is an admission fee, but it is not enforced after some point in the afternoon. Carousing then continues until wee hours.

Granted, it is an artificial beach. But it's enough for my needs. The water is the same that washes better beaches.

Overall, I see great things for the Royal Dockyard. Restoration is going on now that more cruise traffic is making profitable businesses feasible.

For walkability nothing beats Snorkel Park. Its proximity is a great plus. There is an admission fee, but it is not enforced after some point in the afternoon. Carousing then continues until wee hours.

Granted, it is an artificial beach. But it's enough for my needs. The water is the same that washes better beaches.

Overall, I see great things for the Royal Dockyard. Restoration is going on now that more cruise traffic is making profitable businesses feasible.

Ugh. It is a dingy, dirty beach. And there is broken glass. They don't clean up much after the late night parties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Ugh. It is a dingy, dirty beach. And there is broken glass. They don't clean up much after the late night parties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The sand isn't the best but I found it not to be dingy and dirty. The water is fine and full of sea life. If you want 1-2 hours at the beach it's fine.