British Isles - weather

Last two weeks in August, how's the weather? What kind of clothes should I be packing for a 12 night cruise? For days I was planning about 9 short sleeve casual knit shirts and bringing a couple long sleeve zip ups or button ups that are lightweight with about 3-4 pairs of capris or light pants to pair with, and a long knit skirt. Nights I have a my two formal outfits and then around 3 skirts (or pants from days) and about 7-8 tops for smart casual. I'm also bringing a lightweight jacket that's good for rain. I'm adding a tank top and also a lightweight sweater. I plan to wear a few things over. I feel like I'm packing too much. I'm used to Caribbean cruises where I'm in a bathing suit and cover up all day!

But I am nervous I should be bringing some warmer clothes, I heard Ireland can be chilly. Should I add a few long sleeve shirts instead of all short sleeve?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Last two weeks in August, how's the weather?

Variable and it depends on where your cruise is going? It can differ within just a few miles.

I'm also bringing a lightweight jacket that's good for rain.

Essential- just in case

But I am nervous I should be bringing some warmer clothes

Best with layers as it can change throughout the day.

Should I add a few long sleeve shirts instead of all short sleeve?

Yes.

Well, this really depends on where you're going in the UK. In the South-West of England (Devon and Cornwall), for example, chances are that you actually can wear the bathing suit all day :) If you're up North, things are completely different.

We returned June 19 from ours and I found that in the morning, when on a tour, I would wear my light weight jacket over my short sleeved blouse. By about 11 a.m. I would take off the jacket (too warm and sunny then) and appreciate having a tote with a zipper on the top in which I could put the jacket.

Of course if you are on a tour you can leave your jacket on the bus seat but a tote is very handy for carrying small purchases, your camera, extra clothing you remove if you leave in the early morning and also water or other snacks if you like.

What you are bringing sounds like more than you need but if your airline allows it, why not?

As I make albums of our trip, I did find that it is wise each shore day to wear a different color top that looks different enough as, believe me, when you sort out your printed pictures, all those cathedrals look the same and if you keep not of what you wore on each trip, you will know where you went.

Not just the churches but even some of the scenery, city halls, you name it, start to look alike and you will wonder where they were. You are on a very port intensive trip and this can play tricks with your memory.

Enjoy.

Last two weeks in August, how's the weather? What kind of clothes should I be packing for a 12 night cruise?
Layers.

The best way of finding out what the weather is on a certain day is to ask on the following day. You just can't tell. Last weekend, I was on Orkney (islands just north of the Scottish mainland). The weather forecast - issued on Friday, the day that I went - was for rain all weekend. In fact, it was pleasantly dry on Friday evening when I arrived. It rained on and off all day Saturday. The forecast on Saturday was for more of the same on Sunday. In the end, Sunday proved to be beautifully warm and sunny and fine ... until 4 pm when it started to rain again.

So layers, including waterproof outer layers, is the best thing to do.

Thank you for your suggestions. These are our ports... if you have any further weather info, please let me know. Thanks.

London (Southampton), England

5:00 PM

Guernsey (St. Peter Port), England

7:00 AM

4:00 PM

Cork (Cobh)

8:00 AM

6:00 PM

Dublin, Ireland

4:00 AM

5:45 PM

Liverpool, England

4:30 PM

Glasgow (Greenock), Scotland

2:00 AM

Belfast, Northern Ireland

9:00 AM

At Sea

Inverness/Loch Ness (Invergordon), Scotland

6:30 PM

Edinburgh (South Queensferry), Scotland

7:00 PM

At Sea

Paris/Normandy (Le Havre), France

5:00 AM

These are our ports... if you have any further weather info, please let me know.
There really won't be anything reliable. Just come prepared for everything to happen all on the same day.

Here in London, we are having the warmest day of the year today. The temperature is already 27 degrees, and likely to get warmer during the aftenoon. But we are promised thunder, showers and rain overnight tonight, with much cooler weather tomorrow.

Will all that happen tonight? We can tell you tomorrow.

Thank you for your suggestions. These are our ports... if you have any further weather info, please let me know. Thanks.

5:00 PM

Guernsey (St. Peter Port), England

4:00 PM

Cork (Cobh)

8:00 AM

Dublin, Ireland

4:00 AM

5:45 PM

Liverpool, England

4:30 PM

2:00 AM

Belfast, Northern Ireland

9:00 AM

At Sea

Inverness/Loch Ness (Invergordon), Scotland

6:30 PM

Edinburgh (South Queensferry), Scotland

At Sea

Paris/Normandy (Le Havre), France

5:00 AM

London and Guernsey should be the warmest - but you just never know. All the advice you have been given about layers and waterproofs are spot on.

Let me know if you need any advice on things to do and local transport in the Scottish Ports 9especially Edinburgh). I;d be very happy to help

There really won't be anything reliable. Just come prepared for everything to happen all on the same day.

Here in London, we are having the warmest day of the year today. The temperature is already 27 degrees, and likely to get warmer during the aftenoon. But we are promised thunder, showers and rain overnight tonight, with much cooler weather tomorrow.

As I golfed in Glasgow tonight (about 400 miles from Globaliser it was raining aand about 16 deg (59f)

Well, this really depends on where you're going in the UK. In the South-West of England (Devon and Cornwall), for example, chances are that you actually can wear the bathing suit all day :) If you're up North, things are completely different.

We were in the north yesterday (Cumbria) and it was t-shirt and shorts weather (25C and sultry)!

In the end, no rain overnight, AFAIK. And we even had some sun this morning, although we now have some light showers as well.

This is why we complain so much about our weather forecasts! (Although people usually complain more when the weather is worse than predicted. :D)

Checked this out for my area and it ties in with the weather here at the moment so yes you could use it as a guide. According to the forecast given it's going to be mostly cloudy and showery for the next 14 days - kind of wish I hadn't looked now, lol.

Thanks again for your help to everyone. I guess it's basically what I thought, be prepared for the weather that could change.

We will be in SE England/Kent July 19-24 and was going through the upcoming weather there for my wife during a morning discussion. Layering and flexibility are the two keys! Upcoming weather there will be lows in the upper 50'sF and high's in the mid 60's to low 70'sF. Check http://www.accuweather.com for the 14-day ahead weather forecasts. That helps. It's not perfect that far ahead, but it helps to see what is generally coming and the temperature ranges. Their site (using the world weather feature) gives lots of details, depending on the exact city in England. Very helpful web site. Try it! THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The British Isles has what I call a "Vivaldi Climate".....

You can experience all four seasons in one week. :eek:

Layers, a waterproof and some decent footwear as a lot of the places you will be visiting have cobblestone pavements.

Make sure your on deck for sailaway from Cobn, all the locals come out to wave the ship off & the scenery is lovely.

PS. when I walked to work this morning at 8.45 it was a bright sunny morning, its now 11.45am and theres a torrential thunderstorm outside. :(

Archived