Favorite Excursion in Skagway

jormot

My DH and I are going to Alaska for the first time in May. We have decide on the Glacier Trek in Juneau and Misty Fjords floatplane in Ketchikan. We are looking for something to do in Skagway. What was your favorite excursion? We are looking for something active where we can see a lot. This will most likely be our only cruise to Alaska b/c if we go back we'd like to do a land tour. Thanks!

Spousal Unit and I did the Triple Adventure Tour through Sockeye Cycling and Skagway Float Tours - a bike ride to the ruins of Dyea, Slide Cemetery, and the nearby tidal flats, ~2 miles of hiking on the Chilkoot Trail, and a float trip back down the Taiya River. It was fun, scenic, and well-run.

Afterward, I hiked up to Lower Dewey Lake on a trail accessible from downtown Skagway, which took me about an hour round-trip. There's much more to see up there if you have the time and inclination for a longer outing.

Twice I've done the Yukon Rail & Bus tour with Chilkoot Charters, which I enjoyed very much: https://chilkootcharters.com/package/yukon-rail-bus/. Both times I originally booked the Bennett Scenic Journey, but had to change to a different tour after the tracks washed out before we got to Skagway. :( Dyea Dave offers a similar bus tour, with the option of adding a return from Fraser by train. (Dave's web site is banned from Cruise Critic, so just Google it.)

I'll be on b2b cruises next May, so my plans are to do the Chilkoot Hike & Float with Skagway Float, but without the bike ride to Dyea (http://skagwayfloat.com/). :D The other tour I want to do is the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari (https://www.alaskaexcursions.com/glacier-safari-2/).

We did the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and it was amazing! The guides were wonderful, we got to see many things, and just an overall entertaining excursion.

I am planning on the same excursion next year. I haven't seen too many posts on it. Did you book an independent or go through the ship?

I am planning on the same excursion next year. I haven't seen too many posts on it. Did you book an independent or go through the ship?

We booked through the ship. I'd rather have the safety of being booked through Carnival. I know you can get it a little cheaper on some things, but not always, and Carnival gives you the 110% price match guarantee. I just feel more comfortable knowing that if something happens, Carnival is there to help us.

And I'm posting the start of my review, so I'll have more info about it soon! I'm posting Days 1 & 2 tonight, I'll add to it in the next day or so.

We booked through the ship. I'd rather have the safety of being booked through Carnival. I know you can get it a little cheaper on some things, but not always, and Carnival gives you the 110% price match guarantee. I just feel more comfortable knowing that if something happens, Carnival is there to help us.

And I'm posting the start of my review, so I'll have more info about it soon! I'm posting Days 1 & 2 tonight, I'll add to it in the next day or so.

The tour is $199 + tax when booked directly with the tour company. I don't know what Carnival charges, but RCI charges $249 for the tour.

The tour is $199 + tax when booked directly with the tour company. I don't know what Carnival charges, but RCI charges $249 for the tour.

We are sailing NCL. I think its about $249 for NCL also. Its probably the same excursion. When you are travelling with 4 people it adds up.

A drive to Emerald Lake in the Yukon with Max Jewell, Elements of Alaska, was really amazing May 2016. We had lots of stops for photographs, lunch at Cairncross, and then a visit to Dyea to see the birds. Price for at least 7 hours was $82 p/p.

Max dropped some guests off in town for shopping and even waited while others just ran into the Alaska Fudge Company before taking them back to the pier.

Max grew up in Skagway and was one of the very few students in his school.

www.elementsofalaska.com

Glacier Point Wilderness Safari from Skagway-

Through a random booking site it is $219pp independent.

There is insignificant concern of risk actually involved, booking independent. Everyone does understand that cruise lines are NOT operating these tours? The operating vendors are the SAME no matter how you book.

Cruise lines are booking agents only. Nothing is 100% guaranteed, but for the most part- it is going to be darn close. IF booking independent- ALWAYS fully disclose your ship, and port times, and go with the vendor recommendations. I've been booking independent in Alaska almost 20 years, haven't heard of any vendor who was responsible for passengers missing cruise ships in Alaska. Has anyone else?

My choice is to get a rent a car. Purchase Murrays Guide and drive to Emerald Lake at you own convenience. The more people you take, the less you pay per person. Bring your passport you enter Canada.

There is insignificant concern of risk actually involved, booking independent. Everyone does understand that cruise lines are NOT operating these tours? The operating vendors are the SAME no matter how you book.

Cruise lines are booking agents only. Nothing is 100% guaranteed, but for the most part- it is going to be darn close. IF booking independent- ALWAYS fully disclose your ship, and port times, and go with the vendor recommendations. I've been booking independent in Alaska almost 20 years, haven't heard of any vendor who was responsible for passengers missing cruise ships in Alaska. Has anyone else?

If the "random booking site" you looked at was Alaska Excursions, they have been the tour operator since 2013: https://www.alaskaexcursions.com/about/. You can book the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari directly with the company if it's out of Skagway. Per an email with the company - the same tour from Haines has to be booked directly with the cruise line.

Im looking at Alaska shore excursions website

We just did two excursions in Skagway. We were on RCCL arrived in port about 7am. We took the 7:30am Glacier Wilderness Safari. Book independently. folks from cruise ship were on same excursion. We paid $199. It was $249 thru the ship. With four of usage saved $200. Enjoyed it very much. The only slight downside is the boat ride. It was a little long. But once you get to the glacier it is breathtaking. We arrived back in town by 1:30.

Got a quick bite and headed to the airport for a flight with Paul of Mountain Flying Services. This is a regular 8 person plane not a float plane. There were a total of 6 passengers. We flew over glacier bay for about 90 minutes with Paul giving us quite an interesting description of what we were seeing. It was nice to touch a glacier in the morning and then fly over them in the afternoon. This was the highlight of the trip. Would do it again. A little pricy but so worth it.

image.jpg.c907812f1733eecf9461024f230d1a07.jpg