Citadel, Pier 21 Immigration, or Maritime Museum

trvlcarib

Pier 21 is very close to where you likely will be docked and the Maritime Museum is on the waterfront down the way 15 minutes or so. The citadel is uphill and in from the harbour. Really well done We could do all 3 in a morning or afternoon. But if you were only to do 2, I would do the Citadel and Maritime Museum. Others will have different choice

Pier 21 is about immigration to Canada, particularly by ship to Pier 21. http://www.pier21.ca/about Check the links here for other things to see in the waterfront area.

The Maritime Museum is about ships and related history, including a Titanic exhibit with artifacts from the Titanic. http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mmanew/en/home/default.aspx

The Citadel is a Fortress and also contains an army museum, barracks showing the life of a soldier and a film showing of the history of Halifax. You can roam around the Fortress and get some good views of the city as well. http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/halifax/index.aspx

Pier 21 is a 2min walk from the ship (one pier over). Just as a word of warning, if you are looking for any information about family members who may have come through Halifax, the records are kept confidential by the Government unless they were before 1935 I believe it was. We tried to find out some info and that was the result. I would say if you are interested, hire a van (cab) right outside the terminal. They were $135+ tip for a 3hr tour and could take up to 6 people. We were able to cover a lot of ground, Peggy's cove, Swiss Air memorial, Citadel, etc. They would customize it to whatever you wanted. Worth while if you can get a group together.

I have not seen the Pier 21 museum, but have done the citadel & marinetime. Citadel boasts an awesome view high on the hill and a forte with museum exhibits throughout.

Marinetime is indoors. I was a bit disappointed with the Titanic items, not as big as I thought, but still a very nice museum.

If it rained I would skip the citadel. It was pretty windy when we were there. I think Citadel was nicest as you interact with locals etc. and get the fresh air. Take a cab to make the most of your energy it is all up hill. If your in the mood the walk is downhill back to the ship or the other museums.

Thank you for all your insight. I see that there will be 4 ships in town the day we are there. I imagine that will fill the city/port area up pretty fast?

I would think so if they are large ships. WHen we were in it was Us (Eurodam), Arcadia (basically identical to Eurodam), and Le Boreal (200pax) and it didn't really feel busy.

Loved the Pier 21 Museum -- right there at the port where the shopping is -- so great if inclement weather -- was greeted by a gentleman who gave a quick talk on what we would be seeing. Then about 1/2 hour to tour the mainfloor -- old suitcases, dolls, teddybears, exhibits -- something for everyone, then a 45 minute movie presentation (a tear jerker) -- clean bathrooms, eating area -- 1.5 hours enjoyable!!!:)

Thank you for all your insight. I see that there will be 4 ships in town the day we are there. I imagine that will fill the city/port area up pretty fast?

You can easily do all three of your choices in a day. I would take a cab up to the Citadel, was $10 last Oct including tip. We took a guided tour of the fort and then walked down the hill to the boardwalk. As you head back to the ship on the boardwalk you will find the Maritime Museum, nice little museum, really doesn't take too long to go through. Pier 21 will be right beside or near where you dock depending on if you dock in the shipyard like we had to last year. There were 3 ships in port when we were there so the Jewel was docked in a shipyard and we were bussed to Pier 21. Not a big deal, less than a 5 minute ride.

I wouldn't worry about 4 ships being in port since I doubt they all will be big. We were there with a Carnival ship, a Princess ship and the Jewel of the Seas that we arrived on and it wasn't too crowded.

It is a very walkable city and our favorite on that itinerary.

So even with my mobility issues ( slow moving parts and I do mean slow) we should be able to walk to the Maritime Museum? Is it less than 1/2 mile?Thanks.

We walked from the pier to MM and one of my friends had had both knees replaced about a year or less prior. I have OA issues with one knee and we survived. THEN walked up to Citadel which was all the way uphill and stopped @ a park @ some point and ate sandwiches we had smuggled off ship! The walk to MM is relatively flat and not that far. Lots of things to stop and look @ on the way, and some beautiful flowers. We did this 4 yrs ago and am going with another friend in two weeks.

We walked from the pier to MM and one of my friends had had both knees replaced about a year or less prior. I have OA issues with one knee and we survived. THEN walked up to Citadel which was all the way uphill and stopped @ a park @ some point and ate sandwiches we had smuggled off ship! The walk to MM is relatively flat and not that far. Lots of things to stop and look @ on the way, and some beautiful flowers. We did this 4 yrs ago and am going with another friend in two weeks.

This is great info. Looks like we will save a few $$ and not take an excursion. A nice easy walk on our own will work just fine.

So even with my mobility issues ( slow moving parts and I do mean slow) we should be able to walk to the Maritime Museum? Is it less than 1/2 mile?Thanks.

I think it is around 1/2 mile and is flat, mostly sidewalks, cobblestones and boardwalk. I know my 70+ yr old Mom and her 80 yr old friend did it last week with no issues and my Mom's friend is a very slow mover too.;) I bet it would be less than a $10 cab ride anyways since it was $10 to go up to the Citadel. These maps should help, I don't see a scale on either but maybe is you google the directions using the exact addresses, you can get a more accurate distance. Too bad FRED isn't running anymore because that would have dropped you at the entrance for free.

http://www.cruisehalifax.ca/our-city/city-map.html

The other option is to negotiate with one of the cab drivers for a custom tour. I know when we got to the taxi line and only wanted to go to the Citadel, the cabbie wasn't too happy because he was looking to book someone to Peggy's Cove or a city tour but he was required to take us.

Edit: I googled it, it says 1.1 km which is about .68 miles. :)

Edited by reallyitsmema

I think it is around 1/2 mile and is flat, mostly sidewalks, cobblestones and boardwalk. I know my 70+ yr old Mom and her 80 yr old friend did it last week with no issues and my Mom's friend is a very slow mover too.;) I bet it would be less than a $10 cab ride anyways since it was $10 to go up to the Citadel. These maps should help, I don't see a scale on either but maybe is you google the directions using the exact addresses, you can get a more accurate distance. Too bad FRED isn't running anymore because that would have dropped you at the entrance for free.

http://www.cruisehalifax.ca/our-city/city-map.html

The other option is to negotiate with one of the cab drivers for a custom tour. I know when we got to the taxi line and only wanted to go to the Citadel, the cabbie wasn't too happy because he was looking to book someone to Peggy's Cove or a city tour but he was required to take us.

Edit: I googled it, it says 1.1 km which is about .68 miles. :)

Thanks. As usual you are a great help. Although I am not any where near 80 years old on the age clock my body is in a big hurry to get there and at times passes it by:).

The Harbor Walk curves around. If you go over to the left - 1 block and use the sidewalk it is shorter and you come to the front entrance of the museum. Murphy's is a restaurant right on the Harbor Walk near the museum which is both indoor/outdoor and has full restaurant service -- lobster roll $18.95. There are also rattan "people movers" -- we asked and it was $12 to the Museum along the Harbor Walk -- pushed by college guys. Vicki

Edited by vickila

Check out Tom's Port Guides for some good maps and information: http://www.**************.com/Halifax-06-15-2011.pdf

You can easily spend your day just strolling along the waterfront. There are benches to sit on and places for a snack.

Did you say benches and snack? I'm in:)

The Harbor Walk curves around. If you go over to the left - 1 block and use the sidewalk it is shorter and you come to the front entrance of the museum. Murphy's is a restaurant right on the Harbor Walk near the museum which is both indoor/outdoor and has full restaurant service -- lobster roll $18.95. There are also rattan "people movers" -- we asked and it was $12 to the Museum along the Harbor Walk -- pushed by college guys. Vicki

Thanks this sounds like a good option.

Gotta love these boards. So much good info.

• 3 months later...

I wish I had read the book "Curse of the Narrows" or any other book about the explosion in Halifax before our trip. I read the book after we were home and I kept trying to picture the places the book was describing. We walked up to the Citadel and did the museum also. It was a steep walk up to the Citadel but we made it. The boardwalk along the water was nice. The view from the Citadel was great and make sure you are there for the firing of the cannon. I think it was around noon. The Maritime Museum has stuff about the Titanic. I think that this year is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.

• 4 years later...