MS Amsterdam - Best Photography Vantage Points?

deannad

Leaving next weekend on MS Amsterdam out of Seattle. I have seen posts for other ships, but wondering if anyone can recommend the best photography spots on the Amsterdam for passing through Tracy Arm? I'm dragging a bunch of equipment along, so I don't want to have to figure out the best spots by trial & error!

TIA!

You might want to try out some spots beforehand to get some ideas.

I would suggest aft on Lido Deck. You can go side to side for shots, while still not losing sight of what's on the other side. There are tables there to hold your things, and a restroom is out there, too. Hot coffee is nearby.

There are stairs to the upper level out there, in case you want a change of perspective. The elevators are nearby, in case you want to drop down to Lower Promenade for shots closer to the water.

I agree with Ruth about the Lido deck aft. There are not a lot of people there as most want to go to the bow. I find the bow difficult for me because I am short! If you have a lot of equipment, you are likely to have people pushing and shoving to get the best view or once where they want to be never moving and letting others look. Another possibility is deck 6 forward but get there early.

When we do the Panama Canal and Glacier Bay we usually stay on Lido aft.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but a question occurred to me. We'll be on the Volendam next month - similar enough to the Amsterdam that I imagine similar counsel would apply - my question is, can you hear the rangers' talk (when we're in Glacier Bay) on the aft decks?

We'll be on the Volendam next month - can you hear the rangers' talk (when we're in Glacier Bay) on the aft decks?

If memory serves, the PA is broadcast on at least the aft Lido Deck, but it can sound somewhat distorted as it comes from the speakers. You may have to move around to find a place with clearer sound.

The bow is challenging because of the people and the sloped sides. I quite enjoyed being above the bow on deck 6. You can still go from side to side and there are fewer people there. There is also another secret deck on the aft on deck 7 which is reported to be fairly private.