Crimean Discovery

Have just booked for June 13 on Thomson Celebration. Ports of call are Nessebar, Sevastopol, Constanta, Istanbul & Cesme

Anyone been on this cruise ? ( think Thomson did something similar couple years ago)

Any hints/ opinions or links to previous reviews would be great

Thanks

Have just booked for June 13 on Thomson Celebration. Ports of call are Nessebar, Sevastopol, Constanta, Istanbul & Cesme

Anyone been on this cruise ? ( think Thomson did something similar couple years ago)

Thanks

Yes Thomson did do a Black Sea itinerary a few years ago but the itinerary was very different - in fact I think they did it on the Emerald's last year too which was a different itinerary again.

When we did it we went to Sevastopol and Istanbul but not to the other ports on your trip. I think our friends did Nessebar the year before on Emerald and liked it. Perhaps Constanta figured too so some other posters who did that cruise may be able to chip in with some views on those two. I think perhaps Cesme might be a new one to Thomson.

Anyway - great trip. Going through the Dardanelles and sailing into Istanbul is fab and Istanbul itself is a wonderful city. So cosmopolitan and provided you haven't any mobility issues I'd definitely say DiY! The main tourist area is where the Topaki Palce, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Cisterns are to be found and are all close by. The Bazaar is easy walking distance too. There is a tram runs on the road which is parallel to the port which will take you right into the tourist centre. But it's quite possible to walk. Left out of the port, over the Galata Bridge and you're pretty well there! I'd say do some research, decide what attractions you most want to see then plan your route/day to make the most use of your time. But it's a great city - we've been three times and I'm keen to go again!!! Great buzz to the place, good cafe culture and the first time we went we had an overnight there and walked around the city at night with no concerns.

Now at Sevastopol one of the main attractions is the Panorama. It's quite a sight! But again, if you have no walking problems, you can do it yourself very easily - a gentle slightly uphill stroll for 20 minutes or so will get you there. What we liked about going in ourselves and not as part of a group was that we could walk around several times taking in the details which we missed on the first loop. I think about three groups came and went in that time (we just ear-wigged on the commentary! :eek:). You do need their currency for admission and when we went it wasn't possible to buy it in advance but there are money exchange booths as soon as you get out of the port so we just bought what we thought we needed and changed whatever we had left back before getting on the ship again. It's a really clean city and easy to explore independently.

If you want any more ideas/advice about Istanbul I might be able to help or at least find some of the threads from the past with info.

I must say I'm watching this one. It's a very interesting itinerary and one which I'm sure you will love! How else but by cruising can you get to see so many diverse places; beaches, historical sites, different cultures? Oh what a joy! I just love it - and the planning is all part of the anticipation and pleasure. Enjoy! :)

Thanks

We're on this one too. Not been to any of the places except Istanbul so should be interesting.

We're also doing this one (but later in the year) Look forward to hearing from all the others who return before we go;)

Went to Istanbul this year - loved it and it will be good to go back & explore more especially now that we know how easy it is to get around & see the city. For those who haven't been, it is a lovely; one of my favourite - very clean and we all felt very safe there. We went to Cesme about 18 years ago and it was a pretty small-ish typically Turkish resort in those days; a lot of the wealthier Turkish people from Istanbul had 2nd homes there. It will be nice to see if it's changed much - I would imagine it will just be a place to get off & have a little wander and soak up the atmosphere as we don't get very long there anyway:(

Hi- we did this trip in 2007 and 2008 on the Calypso (not Cesme, though). Absolutely loved it. Look out for the war memorials going through the Dardanelles. And sailing through Istanbul is great as you get a good view of the buildings and life each side of the straits (including Florence Nightingale's hospital).

In Sevastopol we did the trip to the Panorama and Balaklava, which included a stop to view the "valley of death" from the charge of the light brigade. One of the best trips we have done on any cruise.

Nessebar we only had a half day stop and were happy to just wander and enjoy the old wooden buildings, stone churches (many ruined) etc. Shopping here was a mixture of absolute gems (the lady making and selling lace "trinkets" in the main square, nice wine) and absolute tat (jewellery/ leather stalls)

Constanta was not a very attractive stop- maybe things have changed a bit. We tried 2 different trips, wine tasting and beach transfer- both were ok, but not great.

In Istanbul all the main sites are close to each other, we used a taxi to get from the terminal to the Blue Mosque, and made our way back to the ship on foot via the Grand Bazaar.

As kruzseeka said, places we would only go to on a cruise, and wonderful memories.

kate

We did the Black Sea on the Emerald in 2006. It included Sevastapol and Constanta.

The ship docks in the town so you don't need shuttle buses. We didn't go on excursion just wandered around the place. We like to experience different places by visiting shops, churches, markets etc. and generally ambling about.

My memory is terrible, and we did this cruise before I joined the forum so I didn't take notes ;) I know better now. Both places were very interesting and pleasant to walk around. In fact the Black Sea is one of the best cruises we have been on. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to give you more information but if you don't really fancy any of the trips just go into the towns and you'll find plenty to see and do.

Cesme looks like a nice resort/beach town. I think this has the potential to be a good contrast to the other ports on this itinerary - and a much better port of call than Izmir I think (although they used this as a destination to get to Ephesus - but Kusadasi is so much closer it's much better to do Ephesus from there.)

I'm getting interested!!!!!! ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cesme&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=J2q&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wkueUO2JPMTI0QWDi4FY&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=610

Cesme looks like a nice resort/beach town. I think this has the potential to be a good contrast to the other ports on this itinerary - and a much better port of call than Izmir I think (although they used this as a destination to get to Ephesus - but Kusadasi is so much closer it's much better to do Ephesus from there.)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cesme&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=J2q&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wkueUO2JPMTI0QWDi4FY&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=610

Thanks for that It looks lovely. :) Def. much better than Izmir. The only thing I remember from Izmir is getting lost in awful backstreets trying to find a chemist for some antihistamine cream.

Thanks for that It looks lovely. :) Def. much better than Izmir. The only thing I remember from Izmir is getting lost in awful backstreets trying to find a chemist for some antihistamine cream.

The day we went was a public holiday and all the local families were out having a picnic in the squares and by the waterfront. My abiding memory is of a line of blown-up balloons strung across the sea parallel to the shore - perhaps 20 metres out and guys taking pot shots at them with what looked to me like rifles!!! That was ok until the direction the guns were pointed changed when they turned around to chat to their friends! :eek: It was obviously a feature of the day's activities/attractions but made me feel slightly nervous. Goodness knows what H&S would make of it here!

I didn't even bother getting off in Izmir! Sent husband & son off on the cycle trip (which they loved!) and sat back, chilled & enjoyed a quiet day by the pool - it WAS a day that my daughter & I actually managed to get a sunbed with ease :)

It was lovely when we went, Kruzseeka - we did try to go back on a "package" in the past but they seemed to stop doing packages for the UK market there; not sure if they do now or not. It used to be a very traditional town; we stayed in a hotel about 3/4 mile from the seafront & used to walk down dusty, dirt-track roads to get to the restaurants in the evening. We met up with some really lovely Turkish people there and the restaurant that we used to go to and we got to know the staff really well had me cooking "Yorkshire Pudding" in their kitchen as they wanted to know what it tasted like!

We also got to know an older boat owner really well who one evening brought all his family to meet us and eat with us in the restaurant!

Reading your "I'm getting interested" will no doubt turn into to "I've booked" in the not too distant future...... would be good if you could go before us please as I know how good your reviews are and your advice is ;);)

It was lovely when we went, Kruzseeka - we did try to go back on a "package" in the past but they seemed to stop doing packages for the UK market there; not sure if they do now or not. It used to be a very traditional town; we stayed in a hotel about 3/4 mile from the seafront & used to walk down dusty, dirt-track roads to get to the restaurants in the evening. We met up with some really lovely Turkish people there and the restaurant that we used to go to and we got to know the staff really well had me cooking "Yorkshire Pudding" in their kitchen as they wanted to know what it tasted like!

We also got to know an older boat owner really well who one evening brought all his family to meet us and eat with us in the restaurant!

Reading your "I'm getting interested" will no doubt turn into to "I've booked" in the not too distant future...... would be good if you could go before us please as I know how good your reviews are and your advice is ;);)

Well, you know me - always on the lookout although I must say unlike most years we haven't fixed on anything specific yet. I keep reading what others on here are doing and then start thinking 'Oh.....that sounds good'! It's definitely an itinerary I'm watching. Will let you know if and when we 'jump' and of course I'll let you know how we get on - wherever that is! ;)

(Sounds as though you had a brill time in Cesme - isn't it great to meet the locals and make new friends? That really does give you an insight into different places and cultures and makes for such fantastic memories.)

Thanks all for your replies. After our cruise in June on the Majesty ( NO like that ship) decided that we would have a break from cruising but when I saw this one it really appealed and it is on the 'upgraded' Celebration .I'm really looking forward to this cruise now.

• 3 months later...
We're on this one too. Not been to any of the places except Istanbul so should be interesting.

Will be lovely for you to explore new places, Mary. Can't wait to hear all about the Black Sea from you for ideas of what to do when we go although we have already booked for the Submarine place in Sevastopol & hope to do the Panorama on our own now I have read Kruz's report & we will DIY in Neesebar, Istanbul & Cesme. Going to do Princes Island trip on our 2nd week in Istanbul; sounds lovely! I work with a Romanian Nurse who used to live in Constanta so she is going to put together a walking tour for us. She did say there is a beach there too.

We did all except Lesbos on your other week last year so if you need any ideas for that, just shout!!!!

Will be lovely for you to explore new places, Mary. Can't wait to hear all about the Black Sea from you for ideas of what to do when we go although we have already booked for the Submarine place in Sevastopol & hope to do the Panorama on our own now I have read Kruz's report & we will DIY in Neesebar, Istanbul & Cesme. Going to do Princes Island trip on our 2nd week in Istanbul; sounds lovely! I work with a Romanian Nurse who used to live in Constanta so she is going to put together a walking tour for us. She did say there is a beach there too.

We did all except Lesbos on your other week last year so if you need any ideas for that, just shout!!!!

Thanks Jules will be 'shouting' soon saying that I think we have done them all too except Lesbos but will still be interested in what you did.

Not even thinking about it yet though just glanced at the excursions waiting until we get back from this next one.:)

Isn't the Princess Island trip a full day one? What do you do about food?. Do you find out first if there will be anything suitable or just hope there will be something?

Thanks Jules will be 'shouting' soon saying that I think we have done them all too except Lesbos but will still be interested in what you did.

Not even thinking about it yet though just glanced at the excursions waiting until we get back from this next one.:)

Isn't the Princess Island trip a full day one? What do you do about food?. Do you find out first if there will be anything suitable or just hope there will be something?

You said on your earlier post that you hadn't been to any places except Istanbul but I've just realised you mean the Crimean week lol! I had also forgotten you are going very soon on the Majesty - lucky you ;)

We have done a couple of longer day trips before. To be honest, we tend to just have a big breakfast & not really bother too much. When we were out all day in Istanbul last year, we just got some of the elastic ice creams in tubs & some fruit to keep us going. I think the Princes Island have restaurants on & if need be, it is very easy to eat out in Turkey; we have done it a lot. We usually take a Turkish translation card with us explaining the situation & the restaurants are usually very accommodating.

When we did a jeep trip from Marmaris & a full day boat trip from Dubrovnik, that have included food, we have advised Destination Services and the guide has always been given the information & we have been well looked after. In Marmaris, everyone else was given Turkish pancakes but they had done a lovely plate of fruit for our family (a lot of people got a bit envious of this!!). We usually take with us on holiday a few packs of the cake bars / Eat Natural Bars etc then if there is really nothing to eat, we can at least have those!

You said on your earlier post that you hadn't been to any places except Istanbul but I've just realised you mean the Crimean week lol! I had also forgotten you are going very soon on the Majesty - lucky you ;)

We have done a couple of longer day trips before. To be honest, we tend to just have a big breakfast & not really bother too much. When we were out all day in Istanbul last year, we just got some of the elastic ice creams in tubs & some fruit to keep us going. I think the Princes Island have restaurants on & if need be, it is very easy to eat out in Turkey; we have done it a lot. We usually take a Turkish translation card with us explaining the situation & the restaurants are usually very accommodating.

When we did a jeep trip from Marmaris & a full day boat trip from Dubrovnik, that have included food, we have advised Destination Services and the guide has always been given the information & we have been well looked after. In Marmaris, everyone else was given Turkish pancakes but they had done a lovely plate of fruit for our family (a lot of people got a bit envious of this!!). We usually take with us on holiday a few packs of the cake bars / Eat Natural Bars etc then if there is really nothing to eat, we can at least have those!

We're not really keen on the full day ones prefer just half a day but I have just looked at this trip and are thinking about it. There is no food included. I have just done a search for Buyukada which is the Island you go to and it sounds lovely. There is also a video on U Tube and it looks really nice. Not sure about the horse and carriage though.

We have horses and won't go on them abroad if they are not well looked after.

We're not really keen on the full day ones prefer just half a day but I have just looked at this trip and are thinking about it. There is no food included. I have just done a search for Buyukada which is the Island you go to and it sounds lovely. There is also a video on U Tube and it looks really nice. Not sure about the horse and carriage though.

We have horses and won't go on them abroad if they are not well looked after.

We thought it sounded different, too, being as it will be our third time in Istanbul. I will have to look at You Tube. We prefer the shorter trips, too but I like the idea of the boat trips over to the Island and back - we did a Bosphoros Cruise last year on our 2nd day in Istanbul and that was lovely to see it from a different perspective. Of course, I am hoping it will be daylight when we cruise through the Bosphoros on the Celebration, that will be good, although Istanbul was also beautiful lit up at night!!!!

I am sure you could give the horse trip a miss if you wanted - I am a bit wary of those things abroad, too.

We thought it sounded different, too, being as it will be our third time in Istanbul. I will have to look at You Tube. We prefer the shorter trips, too but I like the idea of the boat trips over to the Island and back - we did a Bosphoros Cruise last year on our 2nd day in Istanbul and that was lovely to see it from a different perspective. Of course, I am hoping it will be daylight when we cruise through the Bosphoros on the Celebration, that will be good, although Istanbul was also beautiful lit up at night!!!!

This will be our second time we did the Bosphorus last time as well. We are gong there twice on this cruise with it being the 2 week so will do a trip the first week and stay on ship the second and relax ready for going to all the new places.:)

Archived