7kg hand luggage

only once had our hand luggage weighed on thomsons (cant remember where it was tho?) but, like hold luggage they pooled the weight for for all of us (just as long as the bag will fit in the overhead locker)

ie, dd had an ipod and a fluffy elephant....I had everything else

Hi all

Flew out of Stansted last week and they are definately weighing all the hand luggage and checking that you have only 1 hand luggage per person. It was very strict. It made us think and we are now going to replace a suitcase that it fine but weighs a lot without anything in it. I suppose you could wear lots of layers, because once you get past check in nobody checks after that at all!

Gill

Hi all

Flew out of Stansted last week and they are definately weighing all the hand luggage and checking that you have only 1 hand luggage per person. It was very strict. It made us think and we are now going to replace a suitcase that it fine but weighs a lot without anything in it. I suppose you could wear lots of layers, because once you get past check in nobody checks after that at all!

Gill

My hand luggage has been weighed often, maybe because it looks heavy! It's size is within the Thomson guidelines and I always weigh it to make sure it is within the 5kg or 7kg allowance. But by the time it gets on the plane, it weighs much heavier! :D

My hand luggage has been weighed often, maybe because it looks heavy! It's size is within the Thomson guidelines and I always weigh it to make sure it is within the 5kg or 7kg allowance. But by the time it gets on the plane, it weighs much heavier! :D

It bugs me Jakanne - like you I end up resembling a pack-horse and I find 7Kg is really heavy unless you have a bag with wheels. I've thought about that option but would then have two wheelies to handle before I get rid of the hold case.

There's got to be a business decision involved here. What's the difference between a 22Kg hold + 5 Kg carry-on (which I would find a more useful split) and 20 + 7Kg? Of course there's no difference in terms of the load for the plane - but I reckon they're working on 7Kg being more than most of us want to comfortably carry so are hoping you'll settle for less - more like 5Kg. If every passenger just undercut the carry-on by 1Kg - that mounts up for them and the pay-load.

We tend to put the heavy items as far as possible in our hand luggage (can be a bit of a challenge hitting 7Kg in a bag of relatively small dimensions) as well as valuables to reduce the weight in the cases but we have been known to decant cameras, binoculars, umbrellas out of our bags and secrete them about our persons ending up looking like Michelin men - but can you imagine the reshuffle before we get into security?

We have had our hand luggage weighed on a number of occasions - perhaps they've noticed me too - lopsidely approaching the check-in! :eek:

O.K. I now have to admit to the ultimate in sadness.:o

I always take the same bag on holiday with me and it has never been weighed, it is quite small but I manage to pack an awful lot in it....so I've just been in the kitchen filling a carrier bag with tins to work out approx weight. I reckon about 6kg so not overweight but could get nearer 7kg depending on weight of the books we are taking.

Outcome is take a smaller bag but pack it really well.

Oh I can't believe I am this sad and admitted it.:eek::eek:

Just received E tickets for Pharaohs and the Promised land. I am really pleased that it clearly states 7kg for hand luggage after reading on here a few problems people have had at check in.:)

I am still waiting for tickets! we are in Cyprus for one week and then cruising from the 27th March When do you go?

;)

Well hello everyone – after looking at this forum for wellover a year, I decided it was time to take the plunge and post…… on the exciting topic of hand luggage. :D

Last year we were fortunate enough to do three Thomson cruises – flying twice from Manchester (Caribbean Treasures in April on the Dream and Highlights of the Med in August again with the Dream) and in December from Birmingham for the newly ‘refurbished’ Dream on Atlantic Crossing from Lisbon. The Manchester flights were no problem – a casual look at the hand luggage from the airport staff. The Birmingham flight was not so clever. They had no details of us upgrading our luggage entitlement (they did have a record of our pre-booked seats) and wanted to charge us extra. 23KG for just over two weeks was never going to be enough….. Fortunately I had printed out a copy of the invoice for the extra luggage and eventually they were able to ’find’ the luggage upgrade and to be fair were apologetic about the mistake, so the error wasn’t too embarrassing. They also weighed everyone’s (not just ours) hand luggage and then tagged the back as ‘hand luggage checked’. So my advice would be to make sure you carry the receipt for any pre-booked upgrades (if booked separately) with your e-ticket and secondly, be prepared to take books etc. out of your hand luggage as I’m sure airlines will be having a closer look at what people are carrying. The good news was that on the way back, there was no obvious checking of bags as they were taken directly to the plane at Barbados….. so there appeared to be no weight restrictions on carrying back presents. ;)

Well hello everyone – after looking at this forum for wellover a year, I decided it was time to take the plunge and post…… on the exciting topic of hand luggage. :D

Last year we were fortunate enough to do three Thomson cruises – flying twice from Manchester (Caribbean Treasures in April on the Dream and Highlights of the Med in August again with the Dream) and in December from Birmingham for the newly ‘refurbished’ Dream on Atlantic Crossing from Lisbon. The Manchester flights were no problem – a casual look at the hand luggage from the airport staff. The Birmingham flight was not so clever. They had no details of us upgrading our luggage entitlement (they did have a record of our pre-booked seats) and wanted to charge us extra. 23KG for just over two weeks was never going to be enough….. Fortunately I had printed out a copy of the invoice for the extra luggage and eventually they were able to ’find’ the luggage upgrade and to be fair were apologetic about the mistake, so the error wasn’t too embarrassing. They also weighed everyone’s (not just ours) hand luggage and then tagged the back as ‘hand luggage checked’. So my advice would be to make sure you carry the receipt for any pre-booked upgrades (if booked separately) with your e-ticket and secondly, be prepared to take books etc. out of your hand luggage as I’m sure airlines will be having a closer look at what people are carrying. The good news was that on the way back, there was no obvious checking of bags as they were taken directly to the plane at Barbados….. so there appeared to be no weight restrictions on carrying back presents. ;)

Hello and welcome Warleybear! :)

This is a very timely reminder to all that we can't take for granted that our hand luggage won't be weighed and especially useful the advice re taking print-outs of anything you have bought as extras; xs baggage, booked plane seats, cabin number reservation (get your TA to send you an email if it hasn't gone on your booking invoice) and excursions booked on-line. Oh and evidence of that 7Kg hand luggage allowance which now seems to be correct on tickets but for long enough was shown as 5Kg. (The relevant page torn out of the A-Z in the brochure will do - a lady in front of me at Bournemouth Airport could not persuade the check-in staff that she was entitled to 7 for a cruise!)

We've never had a problem but did have a double booking for a cabin and were reimbursed with the booking fee when they had to give us a different one. Had there been any question of not getting a credit I would have been up to Reception with the evidence! But good - take any confirmations with you!

This is where Kindles score highly - think of the extra clothes you can take instead of all those books!

I didn't want an ebook, but now I have my Kobo, it's great - highly recommended :):)

That's what my daughter keeps telling me, but I like books and also it costs the same price to put them on your kindle so I feel a bit ripped off as I don't actually have anything to show for my money, if you know what I mean.:o:)

That's what my daughter keeps telling me, but I like books and also it costs the same price to put them on your kindle so I feel a bit ripped off as I don't actually have anything to show for my money, if you know what I mean.:o:)

Know what you mean Happy - as much as I love my tablet, I want to read a "real" book, not a computerised one !!!

You can download them free from your local library. I haven't done it yet, but am going to have go for my next holiday :)

Jan (ekco) is the expert at getting free stuff :)

Archived