Dawn Princess at Pinkenba today 21 June 2015

Dawn Princess is berthing at a new location on the Brisbane River today as Pacific Jewel is at Portside.At least it not as far out as Fisherman s Island and the Grain Terminal. I wonder if they will have a big tent set up for them?

P&O used to use Pinkenba before Portside was built.

2qbagq9.jpg

2f060bb.jpg

Phew! Just checked and she's scheduled to dock at Portside. That makes life easy - catch the ferry into the city and have lunch somewhere interesting.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The Dawn Princess wouldn't have been able to dock at the Grain Terminal at Fishermans Island because the aircraft carrier USS George Washington is there for several days.

Brisbane is lucky having such a choice of berths..Choice..:D

Thanks David, I think it is positioned better than the Grain terminal for access to the city and airport, etc.:D

It would be better if the cruise terminal was there instead of at Portside because of the limitation on the size of ships that can use Portside.

It would be better if the cruise terminal was there instead of at Portside because of the limitation on the size of ships that can use Portside.

Sounds like the need both anyway, especially if both the Pacific Aria and Legend of the seas are going to be using Brisbane regularly as home ports.:D

Here Here...:):) It should have been the logical choice. Pinkenbah is the perfect location for a cruise hub. Close to the airport ,not only for Australian passengers but also for International guests .

Many of my friends have opted to end their cruise in Brisbane and fly home from there as it is less hassle and less busy than Sydney.

Sounds like the need both anyway, especially if both the Pacific Aria and Legend of the seas are going to be using Brisbane regularly as home ports.:D

They have a good stretch of the river there with apparent deep water...

I am sure they could accommodate 2 , 3, or even 4 ships if needed.

The only reason I can think why Portside was built where it is is because the development includes shops, a theatre and many apartments whose residents will use the shops etc. A cruise terminal at Pinkenba would be a stand-alone facility like White Bay (although in a much more appropriate location). Time is money for cruise ships. It takes one hour for a ship to travel from Portside to the mouth of the river - they have to travel at reduced speed. The Pinkenba location is half way from Portside to the river mouth, so it would take half an hour.

If a terminal was built at Pinkenba I think the cruiselines would choose it over Portside. All it would need to make it perfect is a stop for the CityCat.:)

The only reason I can think why Portside was built where it is is because the development includes shops, a theatre and many apartments whose residents will use the shops etc. A cruise terminal at Pinkenba would be a stand-alone facility like White Bay (although in a much more appropriate location). Time is money for cruise ships. It takes one hour for a ship to travel from Portside to the mouth of the river - they have to travel at reduced speed. The Pinkenba location is half way from Portside to the river mouth, so it would take half an hour.

If a terminal was built at Pinkenba I think the cruiselines would choose it over Portside. All it would need to make it perfect is a stop for the CityCat.:)

The overiding reason fro Portside being built where it is , is because P&O owned the land there. They bought it years ago as future wharf and cargo areas, and when containerisation came along it was not needed. They sold/leased it (?) to developers who in return had to build a facility for the cruise ships...thats why the luggage area if tucked so far away at the back of the complex.

The overiding reason fro Portside being built where it is , is because P&O owned the land there. They bought it years ago as future wharf and cargo areas, and when containerisation came along it was not needed. They sold/leased it (?) to developers who in return had to build a facility for the cruise ships...thats why the luggage area if tucked so far away at the back of the complex.

That makes sense now, I was wondering why they built it there knowing the bridge (planned for years) was going to restrict ships.

Good logic but at what price who will pay and how far away will it be before something more permanent is built. City cat would be a great way of transporting to and from the new terminal, however, taxis and such will still be needed.:D

It wouldn't be that much further for them to extend the CityCat route.

It wouldn't be that much further for them to extend the CityCat route.

That would be a good thing if it is achievable.:D

All they would need to do is run a shuttle bus from Pinkenbah to Bretts Wharf to coincide with the City Cat timetable on the days a ship was in.

All they would need to do is run a shuttle bus from Pinkenbah to Bretts Wharf to coincide with the City Cat timetable on the days a ship was in.

Exactly. It has already been extended to 'Hamilton Northside'. :)

Yes, shuttles would be very easy but I think having a few options would be best.:D