Being a single on a World Cruise

Kiwichick310

I have recently done a short cruise and have caught the bug. I have decided when kids left home I am doing a world cruise, I live ion Sydney Australia. Although it doesn't bother me going alone is anyone able to tell me is there any line that will not charge the single supplement or will find you a room mate. Probably wont be for a few years

All of the lines will have single supplements but on some of the lines the single supplements will be lower. I know that Crystal Cruises has a reasonable single supplement and therefore does attract a lot of solo world cruisers. I know some other lines have reasonable single supplements as well.

Keith

I have recently done a short cruise and have caught the bug. I have decided when kids left home I am doing a world cruise, I live ion Sydney Australia. Although it doesn't bother me going alone is anyone able to tell me is there any line that will not charge the single supplement or will find you a room mate. Probably wont be for a few years

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I decided back in 1996 that when I retired I was going to cruise around the world. I started saving then. Next January my dream comes true.

When I started planning in earnest (2 years ago) I realized how much that dreaded single supplement changed the cost of the cruise. I still decided that I wanted to go solo.

The only cruise line I know that does a roommate matching service is Holland America. The problem there is the cruises begin and end in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. From Sydney, the only cruise line I know does a world cruise is Princess. For next year they are charging 160% for singles in interior and oceanview cabins and 200% for verandahs and above.

As Keith mentions, Crystal does charge a much smaller single supplement. Their prices start out much higher, however.

I have been following the blogs by a few people who are on this year's Princess WC. Here are the links.

http://kathleenwhiteblog.blogspot.com.au/2013_06_01_archive.html

http://sabinesam.blogspot.com.au/2013_06_01_archive.html

http://kmcruise2013.blogspot.com.au/2013_05_01_archive.html

http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/John-and-Gloria-Travels/

Keep planning!

• 3 months later...

Scrapnana....your are doing exactly what is on my bucket list, a RTW cruise. I may do a solo trip also though it probably won't be for a few years.

I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind answering.:)

What helped you decide which cruise line?

Do you know others on the cruise as well?

I am also requesting that you come back to CC to let us all know how your solo RTW cruise was. I think it sounds awesome!

Have a great cruise!!!:D

Scrapnana....your are doing exactly what is on my bucket list, a RTW cruise. I may do a solo trip also though it probably won't be for a few years.

I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind answering.:)

What helped you decide which cruise line?

Do you know others on the cruise as well?

I am also requesting that you come back to CC to let us all know how your solo RTW cruise was. I think it sounds awesome!

Have a great cruise!!!:D

I will give you a link to my blog and you can read about how I decided on Cunard (it is all the way down at the bottom of the page). I plan to update my blog on the cruise - probably not every day but every few days. I have never written a blog before so I'll have to see how it goes.

http://kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com/

The only people I know on the ship are the ones I met on the roll call. We have a really great roll call with lots of friendly people. Some of them have set up excursions I am going on and we have a number of meet and greets scheduled throughout the cruise so I really don't feel I'll be alone.

I have traveled to Europe a number of times on my own and spent a week in Japan by myself. The only trepidation I have had about going solo is handling my luggage.:eek: I have a car service picking me up at the airport and will then pick me up after the cruise which will make things a little easier.

I have enjoyed all of the planning over the last two years and consider it part of the overall "experience" of a world cruise.

Ask all the questions you want. This world voyage is my favorite topic.:D

Oh my gosh, all really good information. I never thought it would take 2 years to plan but after reading this thread, I think it may take at least that. I have already started saving $$.

I have not cruised on Cunard but I do like the rationale you used to go with them.

I love that you had said that when you retire you are going on a RTW cruise; I have been saying that for years! I have met the same reactions; nice to know I have good company.

I plan to follow your blog and live vicariously......:)

Thanks!!

Caron

Hi Kiwichick, So envious of Scrapnana, that she has already booked her RTW cruise. I will be retiring from work within 18 mths and will then have the means to do the same, but will, like many others, really dislike the single supplement. Hell, I can drink as much as two people, and at times, even eat as much! Not to add spend as much as two! Don't the cruiselines realise this?? I will live in hope, that by the time I retire, I am still in good enough health to be able to cruise the world with the greatest enjoyment.....Go the single girls!!! Buff

The single supplement is tough but if I waited in hopes of finding somebody who wanted to cruise around the world with me, I might never go! When I hit 60 I realized I didn't have forever to do all the things I wanted to do. That's why I started with the world cruise!

Being able to have the stateroom to myself is also nice. After living alone for many years it would be tough to have a roommate for four months (especially in a small stateroom). I can go to bed and get up when I want and not bother anyone else and the closets are all mine!

• 3 weeks later...
The single supplement is tough ...........

Being able to have the stateroom to myself is also nice. After living alone for many years it would be tough to have a roommate for four months (especially in a small stateroom). I can go to bed and get up when I want and not bother anyone else and the closets are all mine!

There were quite a few singles on board QE this year. Couldn't agree more with your comment and it is also nice to be able to have somewhere to go to get away from it all.

I've met several singles on various cruises and we have often discussed sharing, but in the end, we have always ended up paying the SS and enjoying our own space.

It all adds to the cost, but a balcony is IMO well worth the extra. Not that there was ever a problem getting a lounger on QE but sometimes the ship did seem to get a bit stuffy, so being able to refresh the cabin air was nice.

There were quite a few singles on board QE this year. Couldn't agree more with your comment and it is also nice to be able to have somewhere to go to get away from it all.

I've met several singles on various cruises and we have often discussed sharing, but in the end, we have always ended up paying the SS and enjoying our own space.

It all adds to the cost, but a balcony is IMO well worth the extra. Not that there was ever a problem getting a lounger on QE but sometimes the ship did seem to get a bit stuffy, so being able to refresh the cabin air was nice.

This will be my first cruise with a balcony. When I first started planning I was sure this would be my only world cruise so I might as well go for the balcony. Sitting on the balcony on a starry night or with a full moon sounds wonderful. I also thought about if I were sick and had to stay in my cabin I could still get fresh air.

BTW, since I started planning I'm thinking if I love the world voyage as much as I expect, it might not be my only one!:D

This will be my first cruise with a balcony. When I first started planning I was sure this would be my only world cruise so I might as well go for the balcony. Sitting on the balcony on a starry night or with a full moon sounds wonderful. I also thought about if I were sick and had to stay in my cabin I could still get fresh air.

BTW, since I started planning I'm thinking if I love the world voyage as much as I expect, it might not be my only one!:D

We took our first World Cruise in 2007 (different line) and loved it so much that we have taken additional ones.

It is not just a cruise. It is an adventure.

I look forward to hearing about your experience and I am sure it will be very special. For us it has been a truly wonderful experience and although we were seasoned travelers we grew so much from that first experience as well as the other adventures that followed that first one.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
Scrapnana, glad you are doing a blog.

We've been doing them for years and it not only provides the opportunity for others to keep up with your travels but also serves as another wonderful memory to look back on from your adventure.

Keith

Hi Keith

I have read your helpful responses on CC for a long time.

I didn't know you did a blog....I'm guessing it's private (?) or do you have a link that I can enjoy your adventures :)

If not..totally understand

Hi Keith

I have read your helpful responses on CC for a long time.

I didn't know you did a blog....I'm guessing it's private (?) or do you have a link that I can enjoy your adventures :)

If not..totally understand

We do make it private in the sense that I post on the Crystal board and ask those who would like to receive the blog to send me an e mail and then we give them a link. I was thinking I would also do the same thing on the World Cruise Board so just keep an eye on it as I will be posting something towards the end of this month.

Thank you for your nice comments.

Keith

We do make it private in the sense that I post on the Crystal board and ask those who would like to receive the blog to send me an e mail and then we give them a link. I was thinking I would also do the same thing on the World Cruise Board so just keep an eye on it as I will be posting something towards the end of this month.

Thank you for your nice comments.

Keith

Keith, I've signed up in the past. Am I still on your list or do I need to re-sign in each year?

• 2 weeks later...
Keith1010, I guess I didn't realize that you are a single/solo cruiser.

Any pearls of wisdom for other solo cruisers taking a or planning to take a RTW cruise?

Thanks. :)

I am not a solo cruiser but have made friends with many solo cruisers who we have sailed with on each of our world cruises. I would say on each of our World Cruisers there have been 75 or 100 or even more solo cruisers. Like us, they have truly enjoyed the world cruise.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
I am not a solo cruiser but have made friends with many solo cruisers who we have sailed with on each of our world cruises. I would say on each of our World Cruisers there have been 75 or 100 or even more solo cruisers. Like us, they have truly enjoyed the world cruise.

Keith

Even this is good information, knowing there would be other solo cruisers on board.

Scrapnana, I read your blog about 'stuff'. I am sure my stuff list would be much longer, you seem to be more of a efficient packer. Good luck with all of the packing; I plan to follow your blog on your cruise.

Safe travels to your embarkation port!! :)

Caron

Even this is good information, knowing there would be other solo cruisers on board.

Scrapnana, I read your blog about 'stuff'. I am sure my stuff list would be much longer, you seem to be more of a efficient packer. Good luck with all of the packing; I plan to follow your blog on your cruise.

Safe travels to your embarkation port!! :)

Caron

Thanks, Caron! I actually started packing tonight. My largest case is 3/4 full and it only has 1/3 of my clothes in it - nothing else - none of my "stuff". I am beginning to think I may have to go to four suitcases instead of 3. More by the end of the week on my blog.

Kathi

Thanks, Caron! I actually started packing tonight. My largest case is 3/4 full and it only has 1/3 of my clothes in it - nothing else - none of my "stuff". I am beginning to think I may have to go to four suitcases instead of 3. More by the end of the week on my blog.

Kathi

Kathi

Good luck with the packing. I'm going to start packing on Thursday for my QV World Voyage which starts on th 12th. I'm hoping three suitcases will do it. I am a guy so I don't have quite as much stuff but with all our formal nights, I'm taking three suites.

Don't forget to waive as we pass each other between Brisbane and Sydney. :D

Have a great trip.

Don