Days Inn Cocoa Beach or Radisson?

Mel12345

Has anyone stayed at the Days Inn Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral? Their stay and cruise rate was one of the best I found (we will be arriving by car) in the "ok-rated" budget hotels.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the parking available is on an unsecured lot, not actually on the hotel's property, but a bit further down the road? Is this the case and if so, any concerns for vehicle safety?

I looked at the hotels in Cape Canaveral and the cheapest was the Radisson. However, most of their rates are non refundable in case of cancellation... If I wait until end of December/beginning of January (cruise leaves January 3rd), are my chances pretty slim of finding a room at the Radisson?

If we choose to take a taxi rather than the shuttle, does anyone know how much the ride would cost, from Cocoa Beach + from Port Canaveral? There is a fee to get into the port on top of the cab fare, is that correct?

Any input appreciated. Thank you! :)

We stayed at the Days Inn Cocoa Beach on Atlantic Ave last Fall. Nothing fancy, but we didn't need fancy!

We had a 2nd floor room with a balcony. There aren't elevators, but it was only one floor up, so no big deal. The room was fine: All we needed were 2 beds and a bathroom. No "WOWs", but it was clean and quiet.

On Saturday night and Sunday morning we walked to the beach. The hotel is right next to the pier. The kids played in the water and collected shells.

Breakfast was basic, but fine. Checkout was quick and easy. Price was reasonable. Staff was super nice!

The location was perfect. 1. Right by the Cocoa Beach Pier 2. A Circle K is on the way to the port to to get a soda and gas up before returning rental car . 3. Close to the rental car agencies. 4. Lots of fast food nearby for a quick bite. 5. Very close to Port Canaveral for a cruise departure.

As for the parking, we parked right in the lot beneath our room, no problems, but it was just for one night.

This was a great place to crash before a cruise, if the price was right, we'd stay again.

We're staying at the Radisson for our upcoming cruise in October. We got a rate of $150.00 which includes our room, parking while we're on the cruise and two round-trip shuttle tickets to and from the cruise terminal. They told me the parking lot they use is next to their convention center and it has a camera and they're security guard patrols it at night. I asked them if they had problems with any type of theft/damage to cars and I was told no. There is a mom and pop type restaurant next door where you can get breakfast, but the hotel does have its own restaurant but the breakfast is more expensive.

the Radisson uses a parking lot across the street ... a former space shuttle support office complex ... it is fenced ... there have been a couple of problem reports but it is about as safe as any around here and that's to say WAY safer than Miami ... this is 'small town'

Even if you stay at the Days Inn you can park at the Rad' for about $8 a day .... they have BIG signs advertising this.

the 'mom & pop' next door is Zachary's and is your typical Greek American diner ..... and there's nothing BAD in that statement. http://zacharysrestaurant.com/

The Rad has a nice pool area and is closer to the piers .... D I is closer to the beach. But NOT on the beach .... short walk to the beach and 'the pier'.

http://www.cocoabeachpier.com/

D I is an old property (I know the guy who owned it in the mid 80's when it was a Best Western)

the taxi company 666 has the contract with the port .... any other company has to pay a fee to enter the port area .... the fee is per vehicle .... does not apply to private vehicles (like you in a car dropping off your bags, or picking up family)

the Radisson uses a parking lot across the street ... a former space shuttle support office complex ... it is fenced ... there have been a couple of problem reports but it is about as safe as any around here and that's to say WAY safer than Miami ... this is 'small town'

Even if you stay at the Days Inn you can park at the Rad' for about $8 a day .... they have BIG signs advertising this.

the 'mom & pop' next door is Zachary's and is your typical Greek American diner ..... and there's nothing BAD in that statement. http://zacharysrestaurant.com/

The Rad has a nice pool area and is closer to the piers .... D I is closer to the beach. But NOT on the beach .... short walk to the beach and 'the pier'.

http://www.cocoabeachpier.com/

D I is an old property (I know the guy who owned it in the mid 80's when it was a Best Western)

the taxi company 666 has the contract with the port .... any other company has to pay a fee to enter the port area .... the fee is per vehicle .... does not apply to private vehicles (like you in a car dropping off your bags, or picking up family)

Thank you for posting Zachary's restaurant information. I had heard this was a really inexpensive place to have breakfast and that it was good. Have you eaten there? Thanks again for posting this. :)

I thought the per vehicle fee was applicable to private vehicles as well! Thank you for the info, it just may be easiest to drop off some of the family members before going to park the car.

:)

Last September we sailed on enchantment for a 3 night cruise. we stayed at the Radisson for 2 nights before the cruise. we were a little skeptical about staying at first because it had several mixed reviews on line. I got a good rate for a buy one night get one free it was $142 after taxes catch was pre-pay only. I requested a room with the sleep number beds because they were in the re-modeled rooms.

So check-in was smooth. We added cruise parking for $32, for parking for 3 days and shuttle back and forth. We ended up parking on the hotel side near the fairvilla store. Its not a secure lot on the hotel side, I think I got this lot because I added parking at check in. (it was a better deal then the cruise and stay package).

Room was very nice and spacious. Large pool area with hot tub, it has rock formations and a couple of water falls. We went to the pool more than the beach.

The staff is very friendly there and would stay there again when sailing out of port Canaveral.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone stayed in the Days Inn recently? I am coming in late pre cruise and have a room booked at the Residence Inn which is a great hotel with great reviews. I also got a great Government rate that comes with breakfast.

Problem is, I can save about $50 booking the Days Inn on a Government rate. I will have a rental car so I won't need parking or a shuttle.

I should be getting to the hotel about 7pm. Is the Residence Inn worth $50 more for a place to sleep? To me $50 covers the car rental.

Has anyone stayed in the Days Inn recently? I am coming in late pre cruise and have a room booked at the Residence Inn which is a great hotel with great reviews. I also got a great Government rate that comes with breakfast.

Problem is, I can save about $50 booking the Days Inn on a Government rate. I will have a rental car so I won't need parking or a shuttle.

I should be getting to the hotel about 7pm. Is the Residence Inn worth $50 more for a place to sleep? To me $50 covers the car rental.

Hi,

you are asking for comments based on recen stay - maybe someone will respond ..... we stayed at the Days Inn in dec 2013 and we got our money's worth ...... and we were happy with our stay there.

For sure there are nicer places to stay and they cost more, to me it was not a big incentive. I have not stay in Residence Inn so I can not do a comparisson.

The Day's Inn was a typical Day's Inn motel. Very small lobby, small dinning area for the included ( limited choices) breakfast. Our room was on the second floor - steps ....not a big thing for us ...... there were rooms on ground level as well.

Location was very good, walking distance to restaurants, Publix across the street ( other stores as well). Even church of our denomination was across the street. Rental company office very close ....... and the price was right.

We got a nice clean room, comfortable bed, clean bathroom - and a good night's sleep ....... that is all we needed for the 1 night precruise stay.

The ocean was 2 blocks away - we did not walk there.

Bunch of other hotels around.

I would not hasite to stay there again - if the price is right.

Enjoy you cruise. and use the 50 to cover the rental.

Edited by wieslaw

Hi,

you are asking for comments based on recen stay - maybe someone will respond ..... we stayed at the Days Inn in dec 2013 and we got our money's worth ...... and we were happy with our stay there.

For sure there are nicer places to stay and they cost more, to me it was not a big incentive. I have not stay in Residence Inn so I can not do a comparisson.

The Day's Inn was a typical Day's Inn motel. Very small lobby, small dinning area for the included ( limited choices) breakfast. Our room was on the second floor - steps ....not a big thing for us ...... there were rooms on ground level as well.

Location was very good, walking distance to restaurants, Publix across the street ( other stores as well). Even church of our denomination was across the street. Rental company office very close ....... and the price was right.

We got a nice clean room, comfortable bed, clean bathroom - and a good night's sleep ....... that is all we needed for the 1 night precruise stay.

The ocean was 2 blocks away - we did not walk there.

Bunch of other hotels around.

I would not hasite to stay there again - if the price is right.

Enjoy you cruise. and use the 50 to cover the rental.

Thank you wieslaw for your review. Hopefully someone who stayed more recent will come also. I'd love to hear their opinion too.

I'm thinking I may book the Days Inn anyway and keep them both since they are cancellable until I can make up my mind. I'm not sailing until May so I have a few months to figure it all out. If I was headed in earlier or staying a few days, maybe I would go for the better place but to me for 14 hrs, I'm thinking cheap.