NZ debit purchases - question

calliopecruiser

I know New Zealand has a very popular debit system (EFTPOS), but is it possible to use non-EFTPOS debit cards in shops and hotels? Canada also has a very popular debit system, but obviously not the same one and I don't think they talk to one another. I know I can use my Canadian bank's debit cards in ATMs to get NZ cash, but I'd love to be able to use a debit card at hotels and car rental agencies to avoid the credit card surcharge......

Are the VISA Debit cards accepted at points of sale in NZ? If so, it will be worth getting a new debit card before I go, but if they're not very commonly accepted, I probably won't bother.

The machines are the same all over the world - regardless of brand names.

I use my cards all over the world. Visa Debit and Mastercard debit cards are not "rare" nor unusual. Again - I use mine all over the world.

You need to ask your own bank where you can use your debit and credit cards.

I use my NZ VISA Debit card all the time, and everywhere , for purchases and cash out at ATM,s.

NZ and Australia are well ahead with EFTPOS. Hardly anyone knows what cash looks like these days.:D. For small purchases most places have PayWave now.

Cards themselves will soon be out of date as the new phones are starting to takeover.

I use my NZ VISA Debit card all the time, and everywhere , for purchases and cash out at ATM,s.

NZ and Australia are well ahead with EFTPOS. Hardly anyone knows what cash looks like these days.:D. For small purchases most places have PayWave now.

Cards themselves will soon be out of date as the new phones are starting to takeover.

This is exactly how it is here...I do sometimes think that our notes looks like a foreign currency when I do see some. lol

Be aware that there may be extra charges using your card here. Your bank will be able to tell you what they will be and the best way to keep them as low as possible.

They're relatively new here - Canada has had it's own debit system for over 30 years, but not ones attached to Visa or Mastercard.......that's why I wasn't sure.

Thanks.

My contribution is - that my bank - and most banks - tell you to press "credit" when taking money out of the machines whilst overseas. (Check with your bank) Don't press debit or cheque - or your card will be rejected. As the money in your debit/credit is yours - you are only going to get charged the exchange rate. Your "debit" account is not recognizable overseas - but the "credit" side of the card is - as it will have Master Card or Visa on it. Hope that makes sense :)

Edited by dizzy1948

My contribution is - that my bank - and most banks - tell you to press "credit" when taking money out of the machines whilst overseas. (Check with your bank) Don't press debit or cheque - or your card will be rejected. As the money in your debit/credit is yours - you are only going to get charged the exchange rate. Your "debit" account is not recognizable overseas - but the "credit" side of the card is - as it will have Master Card or Visa on it. Hope that makes sense :)

Sorry, not making sense.........do you mean if I use a VISA debit card, I should use the credit button, or do you mean I do that if I'm using my VISA credit card? My intention is to use a debit card to withdraw money from ATMs and to pay for my hotel stays instead of using my credit card in those places. (Well, unless the hotel will charge me the same 2% for using a debit card as a credit card, then I'll probably use credit.)

Sorry, not making sense.........do you mean if I use a VISA debit card, I should use the credit button, or do you mean I do that if I'm using my VISA credit card? My intention is to use a debit card to withdraw money from ATMs and to pay for my hotel stays instead of using my credit card in those places. (Well, unless the hotel will charge me the same 2% for using a debit card as a credit card, then I'll probably use credit.)

If you are doing normal EFTPOS purchases you would just put your card in the retailers machine and put your pin code in. If you have paywave - you just flash the card in front of the screen - no pin required on purchases of $100.00 or less. But if you bought something for $10.00 and wanted $20.00 cash as well from the retailer, you would press VISA and enter your PIN no. The pin is always required if cash is included in the transaction. If you were to go to an Automatic Teller Machine - you would press VISA. All this relates to your VISA/DEBIT CARD only. Hope this clears it up for you if not - fire back.

We're from the U.S. and have used "debit" everywhere we've been in Western Europe and the Caribbean. We'll check with our bank and do as they recommend. At this point I believe they say to click "debit, or we'll be charged interest as if it were a short-term cash advance (a/k/a a loan). We have a small percentage charge for overseas transaction, but our card is at a level such that the fee is minimal.

I think it's best to check with the institution which issued the card. There's too much variation involved to make a generalization on something like this. Better safe than sorry. :)

I think it's best to check with the institution which issued the card. There's too much variation involved to make a generalization on something like this. Better safe than sorry. :)

Agree. The advice Dizzy is giving is specific to their card. I have two different banks and the instructions are different for each. I have a postit note taped to each one so I remember which one charges for credit and which one charges for debit !

Agree. The advice Dizzy is giving is specific to their card. I have two different banks and the instructions are different for each. I have a postit note taped to each one so I remember which one charges for credit and which one charges for debit !

I work for one of the "Big Four" in Aus and credit is the button you press for cash out of an oversea ATM. The money in your debit/visa is your own money - therefore there is no credit charge - only a currency conversion charge. But having said all that - Mezzaluna is spot on - ring your own bank and ask the question. I do apologize if I have caused you any confusion - it wasn't intentional - it's my bank tellers head :p Lots of banks have "partners" overseas so you perhaps could check out yours. But in the scheme of things debit/credit is the way to go - shopping is painless - you'll love it :D

Edited by dizzy1948