Booking on board must read

scorpiony3358

I just returned from a back to back booking on the Wind which went from Rome to Ft Lauderdale and will write a review

later. This thread is to warn those booking on board to beware!

During the second leg of my cruise from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale I received an email from Silversea regarding a special sale. This sale was for a $2,500 on board credit for one of 11 voyages. Since I travel solo I had to do my homework to find a cruise that also included this sale. In addition if booking on board I would receive a 5% discount and they were pushing an additional 10% deal if paid in full by December 30th. As I mentioned I travel solo therefore I needed to find a voyage that also included a low supplement. In additional there was a $499 business class air upgrade.

Needless to say I had to do all the work and found a voyage for June 14th on the Spirit which I sailed on twice and loved.

I say the Silversea representative gave her just under $2,000 as a deposit and the next day I repeat next day I was informed that I could have either the $2,500 OBC or the 10% for paying in full. I told the representative that I was going to cancel. She sent an email and the following day I was told that my trip was cancelled, BUT I was being charged $200 for cancelling. I wonder if Silversea has heard of buyers remorse which I didn't have when I cancelled.

Folks I don't know about you, but they changed the deal that was written by their representative and I am being charged. First this is very poor judgement on the part of Silversea since it was their representative who wrote the deal. Second Silversea makes it very difficult to find all the best deals especially if you're a solo traveler. Finally customer service is very important as I was an executive in a billion dollar company and we always backed the customer when our associate was wrong.

I hope that my experience opens every reader's eyes if booking on board with Silversea as it sure has with me.

Did the person bother to tell you that the $200 will be applied to a future booking?

I have found that recently there seems to be a slew of new cruise consultants, which aren't all created equal or trained properly. Most promotions on any cruise line aren't combinable. Unless you want a specific cabin or accommodations, one should take the wait and see approach as in, is there something better being offered next week? Book now offers seem to be better deals then the onboard booking discount.

You can always just do an opening booking until you can have your agent hash out all the finer points.

• 1 month later...

The best part about having too much time on one's hands is that I can post a follow-up. I received the $200 that was charged back on my CC. I spoke with Mr. Mark Conroy on 12/21 at which time he was going to get back to me. On 1/5 I left a voicemail. Found out on 1/6 he was out till 1/9. Called 1/9 left a very detailed message with his assistant and have yet to receive a call back or email. That is not the way a customer should be treated. I want to book the cruise with Silversea, but based on the follow-up by Mr. Conroy it shows me that I am not a valued customer. Just hope others take note that there are other cruise lines fighting for the business of solo travelers. I have already booked my next cruise on Oceania leaving on Feb 2nd from Miami to Rio and will post when I return.