7 sacred pools

syr101

We drove it once, 3 years ago.

I read on the Maui Tripadvisor forum last week that heavy rains were causing flooding and rock avalanches on that side of Haleakala, closing sections of #31. There are signs posted in low areas which advise not to proceed if the road is flooded. I would suggest checking the weather forecast and road closure website before driving it just to be sure all is OK (which is what I did before deciding to take that route.)

You might want to ask the car rental company about it as well since there's a section of #31 that's unpaved, and some car rental contracts have prohibited uses that pertain to unpaved roads.

No, it's in the 'fine print' of the Terms and Conditions where the prohibited uses are listed, and it's difficult to find the T&C's on line to check in advance. When you pick up the car, they'll give you a copy along with your rental contract.

I've seen it worded that it's prohibited to drive on 'unmaintained roads' ... which I wouldn't consider that road to be as it's used daily by locals (and tourists too.) But if it says "unpaved roads" then it could be an issue. The unpaved section isn't very long ... about 5 miles at most if I remember correctly.

Also, when you pick up your car, they usually give you a copy of the Hawaii Drive Guide ... there's a map in it which indicates which roads are prohibited - here's the one for Maui. Note at the bottom right side, where the red arrows are (and text re prohibited use) - that's the section where the unpaved road is. However, that booklet isn't part of the contract ... it's just a guide.

You don't need a jeep to drive that road ... we did it in a car, as most people do. There isn't anywhere that you can take a jeep that you can't take a car ... i.e. with all of the major car rental agencies, the rules about where you can drive are the same with a 4x4 or a regular car.

It is a quicker route to the Pipiwai Trail vs. going on the RTH, but it comes with a few more issues. Most of the road is in good condition and paved, but there are sections that are narrow, winding and rough.

Also, locals sometimes do not appreciate sharing that road with tourists ... so if you see one behind you, you might want to let them pass, and if one is coming towards you, keep as much to your side of the road as possible. There was so little traffic on that road when we drove it, that's not something I'd worry about, but it's worth being aware of.

We did this in a paid excursion in a mini van three times the first two times we were impressed, but the last time......

The road, if you call it that in some sections was dirt, and very narrow and if a car was coming the other way at the same time it would be very very close.........almost to the point of an accident.

Oh, when we there the last time 4 years ago it was a drought and the seven sacred pools were like 7 puddles...........sad....................

Oh there was water, but very shallow, and they did have mini falls from section to section, but wasnt the same as before, more like run-off.

Be careful and good luck.

Sea Ya

Lioness ... I think you did it one time too many ... should have quit while you were ahead, LOL.

As you mention, the water levels in the pools vary, depending on rainfall ... when we were there 3 years ago, there was so much water that they closed the pools for swimming, but the viewing was spectacular.

One of the advantages to driving there yourself is having time to hike the Pipiwai Trail. You can go both ways on the RTH ... it just takes a little longer.

Lioness ... I think you did it one time too many ... should have quit while you were ahead, LOL.

As you mention, the water levels in the pools vary, depending on rainfall ... when we were there 3 years ago, there was so much water that they closed the pools for swimming, but the viewing was spectacular.

One of the advantages to driving there yourself is having time to hike the Pipiwai Trail. You can go both ways on the RTH ... it just takes a little longer.

The first time we went was with the "girls" college trip for graduating and all getting jobs.

The second time I went was when I took my parents for there 25th. Anniversary...........my dad was very sick and wanted to go to Hawaii to see Pearl Harbor and anything that was a tour and educational....yea at least he got to see them full and loved the history that the bus driver gave. That trip recharged him and he was able to walk me down the aisle...I lost him a couple years later.

The third time I went was Honeymoon and wanted DH to see.

Now the last time we went to Hawaii 3 years ago, our daughter was 16 we did not do this tour............never even brought it up:D

Aloha

Sea Ya

All of the rental car contracts say you may not drive the "road to Hana"

That is incorrect information, as none of the rental car companies prohibit driving the Road to Hana. Maybe you meant something different than what you actually posted?

....it's not really that bad of a road, but it does take ALL FREAKING DAY!

Yes, it can take a full day, especially if you hike the Pipiwai Trail ... but a lot of people really enjoy spending a day doing this, others maybe not.

p.s. Sue ... I enjoyed your post about the 3 trips on the RTH ... especially the one that you got to do with your Dad ... a wonderful memory to have.

Edited by Susan-M

Sue - Do you see problem picking up the rental driving 3 hours to the pipiwai trail, hiking for 3 hours and then driving back to lahaina the 3 hours. We like to drive and we think it would be a great adventure.