175 Cruise Departing 17 May Itinerary Change.

slhw

I am absolutely livid at the 'update' we have just received from Cunard advising the changes to the itinerary. We are now not going to Cobh but an industrial port called Ringaskiddy which appears to have very complicated access to anywhere else. We had planned to stay in Cobh, rather than travel to Cork, as we are particularly interested in the Titanic Experience museum and the other memorials to her and The Lusitania. In addition, we are also informed that we will not be arriving at St. Peter Port until midday which means that we will miss the performance of the play at the castle and the ceremonial firing of the noon day gun. I have emailed Cunard but, of course, no reply. I am not a very happy bunny.😪

We are in a similar position with Cobh/Ringaskiddy, we hadn't made any plans as we were planning on staying in Cobh. I've posted on the Ports of Call board to see if anyone has any advice.

The late arrival in Guernsey is because of the celebrations in Liverpool. That was the main reason we booked the trip so I don't mind too much.

Yes, our main reason for booking was the Liverpool call as I was brought up in Liverpool and I am travelling with 3 of my school friends, and our husbands, who all started Liverpool Girls College together in 1956. BUT, we want to enjoy the rest of the cruise, not just be wishing a whole week away to our arrival in Liverpool. I don't for one moment think that Cunard will lay on a free, or cheap, shuttle which would be the decent thing to do. Why am I cynically suspecting that there is money involved here! No reply from Cunard - what a surprise!

Ringaskiddy is literally just a docks and quite a distance from the City (The only other thing of note in the area is the ****** factory...) There is bus 223 to the city but that only runs an hourly service.

Cunard would have to run a shuttle into the city, you couldn't all get taxis even if you wanted to.

Last week a Princess ship was in Ringaskiddy on May 7th, the guests were bussed into the City Centre, then caught the train to Cobn.

Ringaskiddy is location where Brittany Ferries Docks. It is about 32km from Cobh (About 32mins drive). I would imagine that coaches would be available to get into Cobh. The Ferry company used to lay on coaches for its day passengers free of charge which used to go to Kinsale a very pretty Town .

Edited by Pennbank

Ringaskiddy is location where Brittany Ferries Docks. It is about 32km from Cobh (About 32mins drive). I would imagine that coaches would be available to get into Cobh. The Ferry company used to lay on coaches for its day passengers free of charge which used to go to Kinsale a very pretty village.

I'm hoping they will offer transport to somewhere useful but it would have been nice if they had mentioned it in the email.

I'll let you know if I get any reply.

On the phone now to Cunard to find out - operator not aware of changes gone to find out! Will continue.......

Looks like they are not sure what's happening yet regarding tours or shuttles, will let passengers know as soon as possible, really disappointing!

Ringaskiddy is literally just a docks and quite a distance from the City (The only other thing of note in the area is the ****** factory...) There is bus 223 to the city but that only runs an hourly service.

Cunard would have to run a shuttle into the city, you couldn't all get taxis even if you wanted to.

Last week a Princess ship was in Ringaskiddy on May 7th, the guests were bussed into the City Centre, then caught the train to Cobn.

Yes, I read that too about the Caribbean Princess. I'm sure Cunard will do something similar.

----------------

The cruise port schedule confirms Ringaskiddy

http://www.portofcork.ie/index.cfm/page/cruiseschedule2010

Have checked the Cunard website and all the tours from Cobh, now Ringsakiddy, are 'wait list' only. So what about the rest of us? With Cobh being an attraction in itself, I don't imagine that it was an overwhelmingly high percentage take-up for the organised tours. One of my fellow passengers has just told me that Cunard did a similar thing in Hawaii and there was almost a riot. Anyone for a mutiny?

I've looked at the Port of Cork website, it says QM2 at Ringaskiddy but no other ship is in Cobh on that day. Very mysterious.

Have just spoken to Cunard. They are now looking into it! I have said that I expect there to be a shuttle to Cobh and that I expect it to be free of charge - i.e. no financial advantage to Cunard. I await their reply with interest!

Staff in the Cobh Heritage Centre told us that Princess changed their schedule and docked in Cobh on Tuesday 5 May, much to the annoyance of a lot of their passengers who, understandably, had booked that particular cruise so that they were in Cobh for the Lusitania anniversary commemorations on Thursday 7 May.

I agree that if there is no other ship docked in Cobh that day, that it does seem odd that QM2 can't dock there - unless the tides aren't deep enough for her to dock that day. As we all know, QM2 has a deep draft.

Edited by Happyboating

Received a phone call back from the girl I spoke to at Cunard earlier. She states there will be a shuttle bus to Cobh every half an hour. If this materialises it will be great for those of us booked on various independent tours in Cobh, but don't hold your breath!

Staff in the Cobh Heritage Centre told us that Princess changed their schedule and docked in Cobh on Tuesday 5 May, much to the annoyance of a lot of their passengers who, understandably, had booked that particular cruise so that they were in Cobh for the Lusitania anniversary commemorations on Thursday 7 May.

I agree that if there is no other ship docked in Cobh that day, that it does seem odd that QM2 can't dock there - unless the tides aren't deep enough for her to dock that day. As we all know, QM2 has a deep draft.

Just checked the Princess forum and it seems it was the Royal Princess that docked there on the 5th May. I think The Caribbean Princess was at Ringaskiddy 7th May.