Transfer Brooklynn Dock to Penn Station

BCHappyGal

Help

We arrive on the Queen Mary2 to the Brooklyn dock and we have to get to the Penn Station for the Amtrak train

I am thinking a taxi is the way to go???

I have been told to allow 30 minutes for the transfer and expect the cab fare to be around $20...

Can anyone tell me if I have this correct???

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Ann

Sorry to inform you, those info/quote aren't valid. Here:

From Red Hook's Pier 12 in southwest Brooklyn, car service might be a little easier, pre-booked ahead & call them when you are ready for pickup/leaving the immigration/custom area - Carmel or Dial 7, usually what we recommend & we use them ourselves - on a confirmed, flat rate.

Lines and wait can be long for yellow taxi and it's metered-based fare, depending on weather & road traffic conditions, will take 45 to 60+ minutes. Allow ample time for disembarkation, especially true lately for non-U.S. passport holders due to border control's "vetting" measures or screening, definitely true at area airports for travelers returning/arriving from overseas ... I do not have any specifics on whether this is impacting on cruise ship passengers (from my airport insider "sources" locally).

Either choices, a bridge toll of under $6 will be collected as that is often a shorter route, both time & distance instead of sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Carmel car service showing $43 to $50 (with a $3 online discount code applied) for a standard or deluxe/luxury sedan, good for 3 people & 3 checked luggage. Minivan is good for 5 to 6 people & 5 or 6+ luggage @ $54; plus above toll & 20% tipping.

I have heard Yellow or Green (Metered Taxi's Green are Boro Taxi's that can not pick up in Manhattan) at the Brooklyn Pier tend to run out quickly.

Haven't seen a post about it. Living in Brooklyn when sailing from Brooklyn Pier I use Dial 7 or Carmel myself. Heck I use them to the Manhattan Pier as well.

We are arriving at Penn Stationat 10:45 on a Sunday morning. I checked Dial7 car service for a fare of $57 plus tolls and tip. Seems high for a relatively short trip. Can you hail a cab or are there limitations on which ones will go to Brooklyn? Have seen estimates of $27, but I know this is not so. What would you suggest.

We are arriving at Penn Stationat 10:45 on a Sunday morning. I checked Dial7 car service for a fare of $57 plus tolls and tip. Seems high ... What would you suggest.

Just to be clear, NY Penn Station (train) to Pier 12 Brooklyn for $57 is a bit higher. Did you price shop Carmel as that's our own preferred & they are almost always lower, by a few dollars on similiar trips. Dial7 sometimes pull this "surge" pricing for congestions which I dislike. Find an online discount code & you will save a few dollars ... assumed this is NOT for a minivan but just a 4 door sedan.

Yellow taxi are available outside, problem is not all them are familiar with getting to Red Hook w/o getting lost or taking you for a long scenic ride, as this is a metered fare, not flat rate + toll (although, going crosstown & going via Manhattan or Brooklyn Bridge will give you a nice view of the skyline & is toll-less) Traffic is usualy much lighter on weekend mornings - travel time under 1 hour, maybe 30 to 45 minutes depending on exact route used.

Lyft and Uber has fare estimator to give you some prices to compare, not a fan of either, both are licensed to provide services in NYC although I am not a fan of either - will use Lyft in case of real emergencies and Uber on our boycott list, so it's no dice.

If you are traveling light and okay with pulling rollers & spinners to ride the subway (stairs & elevators involved) - you can take a subway from NYP Station out to Brooklyn, one of nearest stop is Smith-9th Street, I believe and then take a short green/neighborhood taxi or car service ride for the last mile or tow for $10 to $15 per vehicle. You usually find them waiting outside the subway stationn area ... there's one local car service, I think Brighton Line has used them and recommend them - search for that info here on this forum.

No one with luggage should take the subway to Smith-9th St. It is the elevated station in the NY City system that is highest above ground level...in fact Wikipedia says it is the highest above ground level in the world, and there are no elevators.

Arecibo car Service is based in that area of Brooklyn and they may have a more reasonable fare for the trip between Penn Station and the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal:

http://www.arecibocc.com/

Edited by njhorseman

Thank you for the info. May just take a taxi to the port and car service back. We'll be getting a noon train home, so have some time to play with. Very unfamiliar with Penn station. I'm taking a trip up this spring and will pay attention. With a large suitcase, I really want a plan. Will check Carmel. Thanks again. Pam

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.5 HD using Forums mobile app

Last October my sister and I arrived at Brooklyn terminal and then needed to drive to her apartment on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Took us 90 minutes, so to get to Penn Station I would give myself at least an hour. Also no way a cab would be $20. I take Amtrak all the time (from DC). Best place to get dropped off for Amtrak is the corner of 8th Avenue and 31st Street. There's an entrance right on the corner of the building, short escalator ride down, and you're right in the Amtrak waiting area. Any other Penn Station entrance will require you to go through the Penn Station maze.