Silver Shadow Engine Failure

Ubiquiti

Could not see an existing thread on this.

Anyone else affected by the Feb-2017 engine failure on the Shadow?

We were. Here is what I know.

• We were booked to join the Shadow on 11-Feb in Shenzhen. This is a charter voyage not sold through Silversea.
  • The Shadow could not leave Bangkok on the previous cruise (Singapore to Shenzhen, also a charter) due to engine problems
  • We were advised the Shadow would arrive late into Shenzhen (14-Feb). Meantime, we would be accommodated in the Shenzhen Hilton, and offered free excursions 'in China'.
  • The Hilton accommodation was excellent. The 'tours' were just to a shopping mall in town. In all fairness ... Shenzhen does not seem to be a great place to tour in or around. There is not much to see - despite its size.
  • The plans then changed. The ship was NOT coming to Shenzhen. (It made it as far north as Saigon, then turned around and headed back to Singapore.) We asked if we could fly to Saigon and join the ship. Answer: No.
  • Instead we were told we would get a full cruise fare refund, and be accommodated in the best hotels in HK and Singapore for the duration of our 'cruise' (10->23 Feb). Also we could spend time in other cities. [We chose HK->Hanoi->Singapore. Other couples chose other options including flying home early for free]. The deal included free air (HK->HAN->SIN), airport transfers, Bed/Breakfast in Suites at 5-star downtown hotels.

So while we would have preferred to be on the Shadow, I must say that the charter company has bent over backward and spend a lot of money giving us a free alternative holiday in truly magnificent hotels. (As I write this ... have not left HK ... but we have confirmed reservations). The HK hotel we have been in for 4 nights is "The Upper House", which is effectively the super premium JW Marriot, and it is outstanding.

Really sorry to hear that. Glad that the charter company is coming up trumps. I cannot find anything online so thanks for posting. This must be costing SS a fortune.

Agree with Silver Spectre and appreciate this highly-detailed posting. Yes, this is costing Silversea and the private/charter company "real money"!!

Would love to hear more from others as to how Silversea and/or other cruise companies as to how they manage and deal with such a major, HUGE "fix". Not a good situation!! Very bad "PR"!! I would hate to have my "holiday" blown apart by such a total "mess".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 47,940 views for these postings.