Rio Guide

cannockfrodo

Hi, we're looking for a Rio guide to uptake us on a half day tour 0800-1500 on our final day of our honeymoon in November

We have had contact with one but I have to say we're finding him most unprofessional.

I know there's a lot going on in Rio but a reply to an email or FB message doesn't take too long.

Does anyone know of a good guide who may be available ?

Many thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Cannock.

We are in Rio in a couple of weeks and are using a guide for the exact same timeframe as you plan - I'll post a review here early August and let you know what we think.

Just as a side note they are crazy busy at the moment. There are about 20 times the number of tourists there normally is and I'm not surprised they're trying to capitalise on it. Also our guide didn't firm up plans until a couple months out so it might be that your guide doesn't plan on working through November.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I loom forward to your review, hope you have a good time.

We've made an itinerary with him but it's had to be altered and we're not happy with the new one hence us trying to contact him.

I know it's busy but he's got time to post on FB so he should be able to reply to my questions.

He's the guide I'm currently struggling to converse with.

Oh dear...another thing to blame on the world cup....hope you manage to get hold of him and he´s not been involved in anything untoward

Have you tried private messaging him through Facebook or leaving a omment on his page?

Sandy in Spain

Edited by t60

Does anyone know of a good guide who may be available ?

That's kind of a contradiction in terms. The good Rio guides are not often available (unless booked well in advance) and they have earned the good reputations they have for good reason. There are plenty of people who guide foreign tourists around Rio for a price though. Just Google.

Okay, I don't feel I'm bad mouthing anyone and I do check my email everyday and if I was dependent on email for my livelihood I'd make sure I checked it everyday. Saying that I'm not living in probably the most hectic city in the world at this current moment.

I know Rafa is an excellent guide, I've read his reviews which is why I'm anxious to get out tour issue sorted, not just for us but for him and for the other couple involved in the tour. I know he's extremely busy right now from all the photos he posts on FB.

I appreciate you all may think I'm being over anxious but as stated the best tour guides get booked early and Rafa is one of them and we don't want to lose the opportunity of spending our all to brief time in Rio with him.

Rafa and Manu were the only two of a number of guides I contacted about our time in Rio who were either available or willing to fit our schedule. The reason we chose Rafa was partly down to one of those internet quirks.

I was in contact with both but my email to Manu somehow went to his trash folder so he didn't reply for some weeks by which time we'd entered into a dialogue with Rafa.

So we haven't actually swapped guides.

The WC match schedule is lessening now so I'm hopeful he'll be in touch shortly.

Good news,issue sorted, but I still need an alternative guide for the couple who've had to drop out as they'd still like to make the most of their very limited time in Rio.

Thanks in advance for your help.

We used Rafa in February and had a wonderful time! His emails prior to our visit were always fun, lengthy, and very thorough. He puts a lot thought into what he writes - he doesn't just send off one or two hasty sentences. I can't imagine how he keeps track of the hundreds of people that he probably corresponds with! He has even contacted us several times since we've been home just to see how we we're doing. I can say with confidence that Rafa will show you Rio like nobody else can!

• 5 weeks later...

You'll just get stuck in traffic like everyone else, but accompanied, if that's worth it to you.

If you are scared to sit among Brazilians, get tickets for the tourist Sector 9, with assigned seating.

The most efficient way to get to the Sambodromo is by metro, and a short unambiguous walk to the odd sector seating, but from the cruise port, you would first have to get a taxi to the metro.

Taxis are available on exit; it's usually pretty chaotic, but doable if you are mentally prepared.

Look at some info online for the seating sectors, metro directions, and metro map.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

• 2 weeks later...

I know that I am really going to butcher the name, because it has been so long, but, we had Neyla Bontempo when we were there. I think that if you 'google 'neyla Rio de janiero' you will find a reference to her

She met us at the airport, and took us to our hotel, even stopped at a grocery store for snacks and drinks. She was busy the next day, but arranged a reservation at a Brazilian Steak House

The next day, she picked us up in the morning, and we spent the day touring. We had such a great time

I highly recommend Neyla

• 3 weeks later...

we have visited Rio twice and the first trip we used Rafa but we were given Diana persi as our guide - February 2012

We actually used her for two days - just the four of us and we had a great time we got to see so much and having only a vehicle instead of a big tour bus we saw a lot.

i wrote a lot about it in my blog vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.ca/2012/02/rio-february-13-18.html

• 3 months later...