Shopping at the port?

RoperDK

We are planning on doing a tour of the island with Victor Boden tours. We don't want to waste too much time with souvenir shopping throughout the island, but wouldn't mind picking up a few things after the tour at the port. At most places they have t-shirts, trinkets, etc. at the port. How about Roatan?

Thanks in advance,

Dawn

Personally I liked the shopping in Roatan the best...seemed like more authentic locally made/handcraft items than the touristy T-shirts and plastic trinkets that we saw everywhere else. Definitely check out the wood carvings! Lots of beautiful pottery and jewelry as well. At least that was last May, things may have changed now with all of the new construction. We found the locals to be a little pushy but willing to negotiate and for the most part friendly.

Sounds like shopping at the Roatan pier will be great. Our itinerary was switched so Roatan is our first shopping port (we think Cayman is too pricey). I love pottery and am tired of the same old souvenirs, so we will make sure and save some time for shopping after our tour.

Dawn

The stores at the port will all be open by november, however you can purchase souvenirs outside the port at the little flea market/store Sheperds Lot Souvenier run by the church, (wood carvings, art, pottery etc) Also their is more souvenir shopping a 10 minutes walk from the port in the town of Coxen Hole.

Most of the locals I talk to are a happy about the cruise ships coming to Roatan, and of course the feel that by having the port stores open, there will be more cruise ships coming, so to them it’s a plus.

Also the Port stores hopefully will be open to the Local and to the Tourist from of the Various hotels on the island,

Most of the locals I talk to are a happy about the cruise ships coming to Roatan, and of course the feel that by having the port stores open, there will be more cruise ships coming, so to them it’s a plus.

Also the Port stores hopefully will be open to the Local and to the Tourist from of the Various hotels on the island,

Thanks for the feedback. DW & I were concerned that it could also mean the end of business for a lot of the local "Mom & Pop" shops. We have always found the people of Roatan to be very courteous to us as tourists. Yes, there are some exceptions. But, all in all, it's been a friendly island to us.

2090695509_d7bcfafb23.jpg

One of my favorite pics of Roatan. DW enjoying the view from the Blind Tiger.

The stores at the port will all be open by november, however you can purchase souvenirs outside the port at the little flea market/store Sheperds Lot Souvenier run by the church, (wood carvings, art, pottery etc) Also their is more souvenir shopping a 10 minutes walk from the port in the town of Coxen Hole.

Hi,

Can you bargain at the church flea market ? Seems like there is where I would like to shop.

Thanks!

We were just in Roatan Aug. 13th on the Legend. This was my favorite stop for shopping. There were nice shops right at the port, but if you go outside the port the prices are cheaper and negotiable. Don't bother going all the way into town. Just outside the port and a short distance towards town there is a market across the street with many shops and good prices. We went into town to the shops that Carnival recommened. They had basically the same things that were at the market and they were much higher priced. The handmade wood items are beautiful. I only purchased one vase and wished I would have bought more. Don't be alarmed by the people that will approach you when you go outside the port. ( mainly children) If you just tell them no thanks they will leave you alone. We did have 2 boys that followed us around and showed us where to shop in town. They told me that if they show people to some of the shops the shop owners will give them money. They were very well behaved . I really enjoyed talking with them and learning more about the way they live. We all gave them a small tip before returning to the ship. They were so appreciative. My advise is if you see something you really like negotiate and buy it, you will regret it later if you don't.

Happy Shopping

Sandy

Don't be alarmed by the people that will approach you when you go outside the port. ( mainly children) If you just tell them no thanks they will leave you alone. We did have 2 boys that followed us around and showed us where to shop in town. They told me that if they show people to some of the shops the shop owners will give them money. They were very well behaved . I really enjoyed talking with them and learning more about the way they live. We all gave them a small tip before returning to the ship. They were so appreciative. My advise is if you see something you really like negotiate and buy it, you will regret it later if you don't.

Happy Shopping

Sandy

We had similar experiences with a well-mannered young man whose soft-sell ("I sometimes show people where to find things") approach convinced us to hire him for a small fee to show us about the town.

IM000027.jpg.ab9c83669b20702bd1a3a1c9d2a75283.jpg

we have seen police counseling youngsters that approach tourists. It has, on our trips, been discouraged.

Usually school is in session when we are there and that is where they are supposed to be. Of course, when school is out it may be a different story.

Charlie

DW just reminded me that we will be going to Costa Maya this year in November, not Roatan.

We took the same cruise last year and Roatan was substituted for Costa Maya due to hurricane damage.

Guess I'll have to wait a while for another Salva Vida:o

Charlie

Thanks for the feedback. DW & I were concerned that it could also mean the end of business for a lot of the local "Mom & Pop" shops. We have always found the people of Roatan to be very courteous to us as tourists. Yes, there are some exceptions. But, all in all, it's been a friendly island to us.

2090695509_d7bcfafb23.jpg

One of my favorite pics of Roatan. DW enjoying the view from the Blind Tiger.

Tell me about this place....it looks awesome. Did you eat here?

Tell me about this place....it looks awesome. Did you eat here?
To tell the truth the first time we went to the Blind Tiger you had to walk through the house where the kitchen was located. I saw the prep area and decided I wouldn't be ordering any food. Now, that was several years ago and they have since remodeled. Next time we may order something to eat. :D

The real attraction at first was the location. You are only a few hundred yards from the ship. What a view! The beer was cold and the staff was friendly. Since then they have remodeled which is good & bad. More cruisers are finding it:rolleyes: Maybe I should have shut up long ago and we'd still have the place to ourselves and some of the crew members that we usually run in to when we go there.

Here's another shot of the place when it's a bit busier. You can see the ship in the background.

1053653205_a025e095c8.jpg

Last time we were there SIL was talking to one of the kids. Just casual conversation. But she fell in love with him and offered him a soda. You would have though she'd given him a million dollars.

1053658165_759a22fa82.jpg

Hope you get a chance to visit the place.

Charlie

What hours are the shops open? We are going to do a beach day but want to shop before or after. How long should we allow to browse what is there?
We've never seen the shops closed;)

When ships are in port the shops will be there to make money.

As far as time to shop, it depends on you. You can run through the building with 30 or so stalls in less than ½ hour or take longer. There is a new mall with maybe 15 shops if it is fully occupied. These have more of the "traditional" tourist type shops. T-shirts, some leather, specialty clothes, etc.

We like shopping in the groceries when we are looking around different ports. There is one further down in Coxen Hole. First time I've seen a brand new, in the box, treadle sewing machine.

So, you can spend as much or little time as you like.

Charlie

We are going on the Legend in Sept. and this may sound crazy but what type of money do the take there. I know when I have traveled in europe they took euros and pounds. Is it dollars and is it best to take small bills?

We are going on the Legend in Sept. and this may sound crazy but what type of money do the take there. I know when I have traveled in europe they took euros and pounds. Is it dollars and is it best to take small bills?

They take US currency, no need to exchange. Take small bills in case some vendors do not have change to give you, I ended up "donating" most of my small change to the kids, I just couldnt say no! I know $1 to me isnt much but it sure seemed to make their day! :D

They take US currency, no need to exchange. Take small bills in case some vendors do not have change to give you, I ended up "donating" most of my small change to the kids, I just couldnt say no! I know $1 to me isnt much but it sure seemed to make their day! :D
Annual income in Honduras is around $2000 I believe. That's about $40 a week.

$1 can be a big deal, especially for a kid.

Charlie

Archived