Hotel - Rome or port (one night)

wieslaw

Hi, our cruise will be in July of 2017 ..... so a lot of time left ..... but started to look for options.

We will be arriving at the Rome airport one day before the cruise... probably in the afternoon.

Should we book a hotel someplace in Rome and take the taxi/shuttle to it, or take the taxi/shuttle to the port and book a hotel there ( close to the cruise terminal) ?

Any hotel, shuttle recommendations ?

There will be 4 or maybe 8 of us ( depends on flight arrivals).

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Really depends on you. I would always choose Rome (and have been there many times).

Civitavecchia is a bit of a pokey town with not much charm. If you stay in Rome you could at least enjoy the afternoon, evening and perhaps one activity in the morning before you head to the port.

On the other hand, if you think you will just collapse after traveling and won't have the energy or desire to sightsee, then by all means go directly to Civitavecchia, where it will be a leisurely process to get to your ship the next day.

With four people (or even better with eight), arrange a private transport either into Rome or to Civitavecchia, whichever you decide. Several are frequently recommended on these boards if you do a little reading.

Rome for me. Have you been there before?

Yes I have been in Rome before. This time the cruise is the main reason for flying to Rome. Do not have the flight booked yet, but I think the one that we will be on is going be landing in late afternoon ...... mot much time left for a tour.

Edited by wieslaw

Getting in to FCO airport afternoon. Take Leonardo Express from FCO Airport to Roma Termini (30 mins) , then local train to Civitavecchia (45 - 60 mins).

We like Hotel Mramare close to station, and right on foreshore promenade . Book direct on line via Hotel website to avoid paying middleman commissions .

Restaurants close by, station 3 minutes walk . Fixed price taxi to port gate arranged at Hotel . Family run hotel .

Edited by kuldalai

Yes I have been in Rome before. This time the cruise is the main reason for flying to Rome. Do not have the flight booked yet, but I think the one that we will be on is going be landing in late afternoon ...... mot much time left for a tour.

As you have been there before, you could skip tours, but still enjoy a great evening and morning walking around the sights.

One of my favourite memories is DW & I enjoying a bottle of wine late one night on Piazza Navona before our cruise the next day.

We have made the journey there from Civi to spend 6 or so hours in Rome. At night the historic centre is quite different from the daytime.

A well located hotel where you can walk to everywhere with ease will not be cheap but I could understand the alternative view that it is expensive due to lack of time there.

Have a great stay whichever you choose

If you stayed in Monti area you could easily go for a nice walk in the evening. Check out hotel Grifo for a nice central stay with a great breakfast to get you started. It is also close to Termini station.

Given that you will be on an overnight flight, I would say it's optimistic to assume a lovely evening in Rome, walking around enjoying the sights and sounds. We are overnighting in Civitavecchia before our cruise, but coming from Florence. Frankly, I wasn't willing to spend the money on a Rome hotel for an afternoon/evening (and we won't have jet lag), followed by getting ourselves to Civi. I'm looking forward to waking up early and walking down to see the ship in port. While Civitavecchia may not be a hot bed of activity, one evening there is probably fine. But I'll report back.

To everyone that gives me some idea or suggestion - thank you

I have a lot of time left before the cruise and some things are not decided yet - like the flight times for all of 8 of us. Wife and I are from US and we are flying a week early to Poland to spend some time there.

The flight from Poland to Rome will be a day early .... but probably in late afternoon ..... probably not all of us (8) will be on the same flight ...... maybe just the two of us and maybe 2 more ...... but that can change.

We are seniors (75) so pushing luggage and using trains is not an option.

So far looking at the posts, it seems that taxi /shuttle to Civi and hotel there might be what we should do. Which hotel there ? - we do not need anything fancy but safe.

Thank you

Edited by wieslaw

Recommend Hotel Miramare on waterfront at Civitavecchia . Close to station. Family run. Set Price taxi to cruise port. Restaurants close by . Book direct via Hotel website .

Thank you for the recommendation ....... I just tried to book it using 2 different web sites ...... and there is no room available for my date. They have only 12 rooms. I tried 'bookings" and 'hotels'. Also went on the Miramare website but it was in italian so I could not figure out how to book.

Any other hotels in that area that you or anyone can recommend ?

Thanks

Also went on the Miramare website but it was in italian so I could not figure out how to book.

If you will look at the lower left side of their home page, you will find the English and French options. As for other suggestions, go to Trivago.com and you will find many other hotels near the port.

Edited by Langoustine

Thank you for the recommendation ....... I just tried to book it using 2 different web sites ...... and there is no room available for my date. They have only 12 rooms. I tried 'bookings" and 'hotels'. Also went on the Miramare website but it was in italian so I could not figure out how to book.

Thanks

Few hotels in Italy -- at least among those that are not a part of a large hotel chain -- will show you availability for something that's a year out (July 2017). However, if you email them directly and ask them about availability you may be able to make a reservation before "online booking" opens up.

Absolutely true that it is too early for booking unless direct. We would go to Civi for just one night. I wonder if everyone who criticises the place has ever spent a couple of nights there as we did recently. We enjoyed our time, found plenty to see, had lovely long walks along the waterfront and did enjoy a nice dinner overlooking the water.

Obviously for people who have not been to Rome it is a magnet. But it requires time and energy to enjoy it.

We have stayed at the Hotel Georgio in Civi twice. I think cheaper options may be better. It was fine except that it was very noisy from a wedding upstairs on the Saturday night. The breakfast was very nice but the dinner, to be honest, was the worst meal we had in two weeks in Italy and not nearly as nice as the previous night, outside at a local restaurant.

Thanks

Use official hotel website as originally advised and there is ENGLISH tab

hotelmiramarecivitavecchia.it/eng/eng_home.php

Try that .